[comp.sys.amiga.misc] A500/A1000/A2000/A2500/A3000 differences...

dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) (05/04/91)

Hi all,

I am considering buying an Amiga.  But, there are so many kinds of Amigas.

Can anyone tell me the differences/specs of all models of Amiga.
I am confused about different models, especially within A500/A500P.
Also, if I get a used Amiga, will it run all softwares?  And will the
future software support old Amiga?

Thanks much [in advance]

Dan Lee
-------
dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (05/04/91)

In article <1489@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes:
   In article <1991May3.205436.20403@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) writes:
   >Hi all,
   >
   >I am considering buying an Amiga.  But, there are so many kinds of Amigas.

   Too true.

I don't think so; then again, I've been helping people shop for IBM
clones lately...

   >Can anyone tell me the differences/specs of all models of Amiga.
   >I am confused about different models, especially within A500/A500P.

   Well, the A500's are the lowest-priced models.  I'm not sure what the
   differences between the A500 and the A500P are, but I will tell you this:

The A500 is a 512K machine. Currently, it's the A500C (consumer),
meaning it comes packaged with some games and a piece of productivity
software of some kind. The A500P is the professional version. 1 Meg,
and it comes bundled with AmigaVision. I believe (but am not sure)
that the A500P is only sold through authorized dealers, whereas the
A500C is only sold through people who _aren't_ authorized dealers
(mostly department stores).

   go for a 2000/3000 unless all you want to do is play games.  Because if you
   want to do anything else (programming, graphics/video/desktop publishing/etc)
   you're going to want to expand: more memory, a hard disk, maybe a flicker
   fixer, and what-not.  And if you have a 500, you're liable to spend more
   in the long run than if you invest in a 2000 or 3000.

Oh, bullshit. The cheapest way to get an Amiga suitable for serious
work is an A500P+A590 (or similar; the A590 isn't necessarily the best
buy) full of memory, and some would consider that overkill. You can
buy flicker-fixers, AT cards, and 0[23]0 cards that will go inside the
A500. If you really want, you can even get a Bodega Bay box and have a
place for internal drives.

Continuing:

The A2000 is an A500P with slots and internal drive bays. Used ones
may be closer to the A500C.

The A2000HD is an A2000 with a SCSI disk controller and hard disk.

The A2500/20 is an A2000HD with a 14Mhz 68020.

The A2500/30 is an A2500/20 with a 25MHz 68030 instead of the 020.

The A3000 is a different creature than the A500/1000/2000 boxes. Those
are basically 16 bit systems, even if they've got an '020 or '030 in
them. The A3000 is basically a 32 bit system - motherboard memory,
SCSI, and bus all have 32 bit data paths.

The A3000/15 is a 16MHz 030 & 881 with 2 meg of ram and a 50 meg hd
(though you seem some 40s around).

The A3000/25-40 is a 25MHz 030 & 882 with 2 meg of ram and a 40 meg
hd. These will all be used now, as the 40 meg drive was apparently a
stopgap measure.

The A3000/25-50 has a 50 meg hd instead of the 40 meg, and is what you
should see in the stores.

The A3000/25-100 has a 100 meg hd instead of the 50, and has 5 meg of
ram (though some used machines may only have 2 meg).

All of the above have one empty 3 1/2" drive bay, and fewer slots than
the A2000 line.

The A3000 is an A3000/25-100 (I don't think it comes in any other
flavor, but it's still new...) in a tower case with an A2000's worth
of slots, and more space for internal drives than any other Amiga.

   >Also, if I get a used Amiga, will it run all softwares?  And will the
   >future software support old Amiga?

   No, and no.  Specifically, old machines will have varying releases of the
   operating system, ranging from 1.1 to 2.0x.

And you can buy upgrades to 1.3 for all of them, too. This may break
software you get with the machine; but it's not very likely.

	<mike
--
He was your reason for living				Mike Meyer
So you once said					mwm@pa.dec.com

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.205436.20403@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I am considering buying an Amiga.  But, there are so many kinds of Amigas.

Too true.

>Can anyone tell me the differences/specs of all models of Amiga.
>I am confused about different models, especially within A500/A500P.

Well, the A500's are the lowest-priced models.  I'm not sure what the
differences between the A500 and the A500P are, but I will tell you this:
go for a 2000/3000 unless all you want to do is play games.  Because if you
want to do anything else (programming, graphics/video/desktop publishing/etc)
you're going to want to expand: more memory, a hard disk, maybe a flicker
fixer, and what-not.  And if you have a 500, you're liable to spend more
in the long run than if you invest in a 2000 or 3000.

As for the 1000's, these machines are no longer made new, and have dubious
status in the eyes of Commodore.  Getting parts, upgrading, expanding will
no doubt become increasingly more difficult as the years go by.  For the
True Believer only (IMAO).

>Also, if I get a used Amiga, will it run all softwares?  And will the
>future software support old Amiga?

No, and no.  Specifically, old machines will have varying releases of the
operating system, ranging from 1.1 to 2.0x.  There are plenty of programs
lurking out there that will run under one version that won't under another.
Fortunately, this is usually not a problem, since useful programs are almost
invariably upgraded to work under new releases of the OS.

Also, there are a lot of new goodies in the 2.0 release, and programs released
that take advantage of them.  Naturally, these programs will not work under
previous releases.

--
Dave Schaumann      | There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool
dave@cs.arizona.edu | following it.	- Niven's Law # 16

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (05/05/91)

As quoted from <MWM.91May3184213@raven.pa.dec.com> by mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer):
+---------------
| In article <1489@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes:
|    In article <1991May3.205436.20403@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) writes:
|    >Can anyone tell me the differences/specs of all models of Amiga.
|    >I am confused about different models, especially within A500/A500P.
|
|    Well, the A500's are the lowest-priced models.  I'm not sure what the
|    differences between the A500 and the A500P are, but I will tell you this:
|
| The A500 is a 512K machine. Currently, it's the A500C (consumer),
| meaning it comes packaged with some games and a piece of productivity
| software of some kind. The A500P is the professional version. 1 Meg,
| and it comes bundled with AmigaVision. I believe (but am not sure)
|
|    go for a 2000/3000 unless all you want to do is play games.  Because if you
|
| Oh, bullshit. The cheapest way to get an Amiga suitable for serious
| work is an A500P+A590 (or similar; the A590 isn't necessarily the best
+---------------

Another prospective buyer here, with more questions:

1.  I saw tantalizing hints in c.s.a.hardware about the ability to use PC
    cards/etc.  What models, anything needed to do it ("bridge card" wazzat?)
    etc.  There's no resale value in my XT, so I may as well try to "recycle"
    some of the components.

1a. Is there any use for an Inboard-386 in this, or should I just try to sell
    it?

1b. Can I use my 20MB ST506-style hard drive?

1c. How about the ST225N external drive from my Mac SE?

1d. How about 1MB or 256KB SIMMs from a Mac SE?

1e. Or a 384K memory expansion board from the XT (removed when I put the
    Inboard in, since it has its own 1MB RAM)?

1f. Can I use my Okidata 390 (24-pin printer, Epson and IBM Proprinter
    compatible) with the Amiga?  Special drivers needed, a' la Macintosh?

2.  Then there were the less-than-tantalizing hints:  prices.  The local
    fella said the A500 was around $500; he also said it was expandable, which
    impression I did *not* get from c.s.a.h....  What kind of expandability can
    I expect from what models, and *how much are they*?  (Ranges, and if
    possible some idea of where to get the lower prices.)

3.  I saw some notes about new software and possibly new hardware due out
    soon.  Which brings up the age-old question:  buy now, or wait?

4.  The XT is currently running KA9Q NOS (actually, G1EMM).  Any hams in
    this group know if there's a NOS for Amiga?  Or some kind of DOS emulation
    that can cope with NOS (VP/ix sure can't)?

Thanks in advance,
++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA  10m,6m,2m,220,440,1.2
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)

In article <1991May5.014657.8317@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) writes:

>Another prospective buyer here, with more questions:
>
>1.  I saw tantalizing hints in c.s.a.hardware about the ability to use PC
>    cards/etc.  What models, anything needed to do it ("bridge card" wazzat?)
>    etc.  There's no resale value in my XT, so I may as well try to "recycle"
>    some of the components.

	There are two PC emulators for the A500, one goes in the
512K expansion area (it also provides that memory) and the other
is the ATonce board which piggybacks onto the 68000 and gives you
an 80286 and HD support, gets a Norton SI of about 3 and is a tad
flaky.
	The 2000 line has 4 PC-style slots and you get your IBM
BridgeBoard from Commodore (not a 3rd party group). You can put
IBM cards in those slots (be aware that the BB can take 1-2 of
them), including a VGA card, which most people do, etc. You can
share the Amigas hard drives, mouse, ports, etc.

>1a. Is there any use for an Inboard-386 in this, or should I just try to sell
>    it?

	I've been told that the only board that works right is
the SOTA 386 board, and it still has some problems with things
like the mouse not working right.

>1b. Can I use my 20MB ST506-style hard drive?

	If you put an IBM controller in a slot.

>1c. How about the ST225N external drive from my Mac SE?

	You can't read the Mac data, but you can reformat it and
use it with the Amiga side if you get a SCSI controller (that is
SCSI, right?).

>1d. How about 1MB or 256KB SIMMs from a Mac SE?

	Depends on which brand of memory card you buy.

>1e. Or a 384K memory expansion board from the XT (removed when I put the
>    Inboard in, since it has its own 1MB RAM)?

	The Commodore boards come with 512K for the XT 8088
version and 1MB for the AT 80286 version. The A500 ones use 768K.

>1f. Can I use my Okidata 390 (24-pin printer, Epson and IBM Proprinter
>    compatible) with the Amiga?  Special drivers needed, a' la Macintosh?

	Epson is quite standard with the Amiga. No proprietary
printer drivers here.

>2.  Then there were the less-than-tantalizing hints:  prices.  The local
>    fella said the A500 was around $500; he also said it was expandable, which
>    impression I did *not* get from c.s.a.h....  What kind of expandability can
	You can go up to 1MB without doing anything unusual,
internally. There are lots of companies that have made really
tiny things, including HDs and Flicker Fixers, that fit
internally. You'll pay more for them. There is also a "bus
extender" out the left side which things can be piggybaked onto.
Expandability is quite good (as long as you don't need a CPU
accelerator that is powerful) although it will cost more since
almost everything needs a new power supply and case.

>    I expect from what models, and *how much are they*?  (Ranges, and if
>    possible some idea of where to get the lower prices.)

	Educational prices are $531 for the A500, $1,164 for the
2000 and $1,455 for the 2000HD.

>3.  I saw some notes about new software and possibly new hardware due out
>    soon.  Which brings up the age-old question:  buy now, or wait?

	If you are looking at the lower end of the Amiga range,
buy now. I know of nothing upcoming in that area.

>4.  The XT is currently running KA9Q NOS (actually, G1EMM).  Any hams in
>    this group know if there's a NOS for Amiga?  Or some kind of DOS emulation
>    that can cope with NOS (VP/ix sure can't)?

	I know of people on the Amiga who do a LOT of HAM radio
stuff, I know very little about it. CompuServe seems to be where
the crowd settled.

>Thanks in advance,
>++Brandon
>--
>Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA  10m,6m,2m,220,440,1.2
>Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)
>Delphi: ALLBERY				 AMPR: kb8jrr.AmPR.ORG [44.70.4.88]
>uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery       KB8JRR @ WA8BXN.OH

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

am298149@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Adnan Mian) (05/14/91)

Since the A3000T is coming out.  Could not the A3000 owners just expand
external and add more slots.  Thus they could have more bridgeboard and
a3000 slots.  Making there machine like an A3000T.

Adnan Mian
"Eggnog"

Doesn't this make sense?