[comp.sys.amiga.misc] WShell - Is it FRS?

rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) (05/04/91)

Subject line says it all.

If so, what ftp site can I find it at.  It's not at nasa, isca, uhcc, or ux1.
If not, who's selling it?  I don't believe I've ever seen this at Creative.

As a side note, concerning my earlier posting on mouse utilities:

I am well aware that WB 2.0 has many built-ins to serve the purpose of some
of the functions of QMouse.  However, it does not provide ALL the functions
that QMouse does.  Specifically, I am looking for click-to-back and popcli,
neither of which is supported by the Commodities exchange.

Agitator
  #->

 "Caltech -- A Division of      rolee@hmcvax.bitnet              //    BITNET
     Harvey Mudd"               rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu     //   InterNet
 -------------- R E M E M B E R   B E I J I N G ------------\\-//------------
 IBM PC - Who wants a politically correct computer?          \X/  Only AMIGA!
 Roderick Lee         "The Professional Agitator"         Harvey Mudd College

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (05/05/91)

rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
[Where's WShell?]

WShell is commercial software by Bill Hawes, also the creator of ARexx.
Bill mentioned recently that 1.2 (the current version) might be a bit
hard to find right now because no new 1.2 English manuals will be
printed, in expectation of the AmigaOS 2.0 version being near. (At least
as soon as 2.0 hits ROM.)

Check the local dealers or mail-order houses. Someone probably still has
some in stock. If you can find v1.2, don't hesitate to buy it. Bill's
upgrade policies are more than reasonable, so you won't have to pay much
for the upgrade to 2.0 when it's available.

>As a side note, concerning my earlier posting on mouse utilities:

I'm using ClockDJ v5.02 on my A3000, it works great.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (05/05/91)

Wshell is a commercial product, and is available from Bill Hawes directly:

William S. Hawes
P.O. Box 308
Maynard MA 01754

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (05/10/91)

WShell is a commercial product from William S Hawes (the author of
ARexx).  It should not be available by FTP or download from anywhere
It is available for purchase at a very reasonable price from Bill
Hawes, or from any number of Amiga software dealers.

I recently purchased it directly from Bill Hawes when I last upgraded
my copy of ARexx.  WShell has a number of nifty features, especially
for the ARexx user, including direct, built-in support for ARexx
scripts within the shell (of course!), a number of useful builtin
commands, local and global environment variables, a very flexable
aliasing system, direct ConMan support (ConMan is another of William
Hawes' products), and a number of useful system enhancements, like a
filename completion package and a path manager (have you ever wished
you could assign FONTS: to a multi-volume or multi-directory path?).

I recommend  WShell.  Like ARexx, its not expensive, and performs very
well.

Wildstar

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/10/91)

In article <814@tnc.UUCP> m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) writes:

>WShell is a commercial product from William S Hawes (the author of
>ARexx).  It should not be available by FTP or download from anywhere
>It is available for purchase at a very reasonable price from Bill
>Hawes, or from any number of Amiga software dealers.

Well, either WShell 2.0 has _alot_ of new features, or BriWall
has a misprint in their catalog; they list it for $999.00!

-- Cary

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (05/15/91)

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>Well, either WShell 2.0 has _alot_ of new features, or BriWall
>has a misprint in their catalog; they list it for $999.00!

It must be a misprint. Bill has said that WShell 2.0 will not ship until
AmigaOS 2.0 goes to ROM. WShell 2.0 will still be compatible with
AmigaOS 1.3, but will lack some 2.0-only features. No, I don't know what
features, I'm not even sure what wonderful enhancements WShell 2.0 will
bring, that's all Bill has said (on BIX). He also said that WShell 2.0
is waiting for AmigaOS 2.0 to go to ROM because it is coupled so tightly
to the OS.

Personally I can't wait to see what WShell 2.0 will look like!
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g
DoD #46           My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.            FJ1200
              Now I know why they are called BUTTERflys!