[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Thoughts on System 7.0

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/11/91)

Hmm.. Over the past few months (years, its almost seemed), of voyaging through
the "vapor", System 7.0 it seems, is sceduled to debut on May 13th.

At the time of this writing, (5-10-91), I havent heard much in the line of
hype from Apple. Hah, will the release date be bumped again, or will be the
"mother of a system" the Mac users want it to be?

Now then. Why bring this up in an Amiga conference you ask? For this reason:
System 7.0 availability for Amax and Amax II users. Right now, most Amax users
are plodding along with System 6.05 with a Finder.. No multifinder.

Being that Apple has been a little mean with their roms, not selling them
seperate and all,the whole boxed and shrinkwrapped future of ReadySoft's Amax
emulator looks a bit bleek at best.

So whats the deal? Whats the probability of System 7.0 being released for
Amax? Slim to none? Or am I just crazy..

Never trust a hippie..
Arctangent

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (05/11/91)

In article <arctngnt.9259@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:

>At the time of this writing, (5-10-91), I havent heard much in the line of
>hype from Apple. Hah, will the release date be bumped again, or will be the
>"mother of a system" the Mac users want it to be?

It is already out (that is the gold version) to certain developers and
institutions (such as some universities).  I'd imagine that some
dealers already have copies too.  And it is a "mother of a system" in
the way that it improves greatly on 6.0.x. (VM, file sharing, 32-bit
addressing, _greatly_ enhanced finder, IAC, etc). IMO there are
somethings that still need to be done (preemptive multitasking, floppy
initialization in the background (though disk copying already is),
better security built into the system and a few other things), but all
in all Apple has done an excellent job.

>So whats the deal? Whats the probability of System 7.0 being released for
>Amax? Slim to none? Or am I just crazy..

Bad way to phrase a question.  First of all it will _never_ be
"released for Amax".  And I don't think that you are legally entitled
to it unless you own a Mac, or go to an Apple dealer and buy it, that
is if I understand Apple's policies correctly.

What you really want to know is, "Will System 7 work with Amax".
Guess you'll have to wait for 2 more days, that is if you're legally
entitled to it; then you can try it out for yourself.

--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail: tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

In article <1991May11.162531.1676@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) writes:
>In article <arctngnt.9259@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
>
>>So whats the deal? Whats the probability of System 7.0 being released for
>>Amax? Slim to none? Or am I just crazy..
>
>Bad way to phrase a question.  First of all it will _never_ be
>"released for Amax".  And I don't think that you are legally entitled
>to it unless you own a Mac, or go to an Apple dealer and buy it, that
>is if I understand Apple's policies correctly.

	In the license agreement with the system software it
specifically says that the OS can't be run on an emulator. So
even so it still isn't legal, that is, if you believe in
shrink-wrap licensing.

	-- Ethan

GEORGE BUSH MURDER ASSASSINATE PENTAGON CAPITOL WHITE HOUSE
Greetings to the loyal Americans working at the NSA! Enjoy.

morgan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Crunchy Frog) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May11.190150.20400@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	In the license agreement with the system software it
>specifically says that the OS can't be run on an emulator. So
>even so it still isn't legal, that is, if you believe in
>shrink-wrap licensing.
>
>	-- Ethan
>
>GEORGE BUSH MURDER ASSASSINATE PENTAGON CAPITOL WHITE HOUSE
>Greetings to the loyal Americans working at the NSA! Enjoy.

Now this IS interesting.  What is the legal definition of an emulator?
Would a Mac clone (running the New Tech (?) ROMs) be considered an emulator?
It sure isn't a Macintosh.  If the definition of a mac emulator is something
that enables you to run Mac software on a different computer we come up
with the interesting questions of what a 'different computer' is.  While
I have a problem with people who copy the Mac ROMs illegally, I would have
no qualms whatsoever in using a (legally bought) copy of System 7.0 anywhere
I wanted.

Any lawyers out there who are willing to comment on the exact legal
definition (or Apple's perception thereof) of an emulator?

Alan Morgan

BTW - I think Apple is shooting themselves in the foot with this one.  They
will sell more copies of the system software and won't rationally be hurting
their Mac sales (I don't intend to buy a Mac, I just want compatibility).

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/14/91)

Ho Ho Ho.. Dont you worry about running System 7 on Amax II.. I found a Mac
pirate board in my calling area, and it looks like ill be investing some time
into downloading 7.0 for use with my emulator. Just for kicks.

Ill write back after I get it all done, give you the news on if its a go or
not..

Arc

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/14/91)

In article <arctngnt.9259@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:

>Hmm.. Over the past few months (years, its almost seemed), of voyaging through
>the "vapor", System 7.0 it seems, is sceduled to debut on May 13th.
>
>At the time of this writing, (5-10-91), I havent heard much in the line of
>hype from Apple. Hah, will the release date be bumped again, or will be the
>"mother of a system" the Mac users want it to be?

Today is 5-13-91, and I saw on FNN this morning that Apple did indeed announce
that it was shipping system 7.  It will be interesting to see what exactly its
new look and features are.  By the way, Apple's stock was up $1.25 in the first
minute of trading...

>Now then. Why bring this up in an Amiga conference you ask? For this reason:
>System 7.0 availability for Amax and Amax II users. Right now, most Amax users
>are plodding along with System 6.05 with a Finder.. No multifinder.

I run Multifinder under AMaxx all the time...

>Being that Apple has been a little mean with their roms, not selling them
>seperate and all,the whole boxed and shrinkwrapped future of ReadySoft's Amax
>emulator looks a bit bleek at best.

Readysoft claims their sales haven't been hurt (yet).

>So whats the deal? Whats the probability of System 7.0 being released for
>Amax? Slim to none? Or am I just crazy..

Hopefully it will work.

>Never trust a hippie..
>Arctangent

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

In article <arctngnt.9259@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
> So whats the deal? Whats the probability of System 7.0 being released for
> Amax? Slim to none? Or am I just crazy..

I'm sure that there will be a port of NuTek's (no relation to NewTek) Mac OS
implementation for Amax before too long, after it comes available at the
end of the year. A real Amiga-ized port that ran under Intuition would be
great, but I doubt they'd have the resources to do that.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.