[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Whats the best printer for < $600? a.misc

GB03@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (George Philip Bluhm) (05/21/91)

Hi
I find the HP DESKJET 500 more than a match for output of lasers.  I
even get decent output from refilled cartridges.  The dots tend to be
less noticable since the ink bleeds a bit.
Phyle Thee McNasty
Denials as usual.

jheath@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU (Jim Heath) (05/21/91)

From article <20059118:41:50GB03@lehigh.bitnet>, by GB03@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (George Philip Bluhm):

	I just purchased a Canon BJ10e printer.  It has 360x360
dpi.  There is a driver on Fred Fish 446 (or thereabouts :^)).  I
am still in the process of sorting out using it.  I am very
impressed with the output from PageStream via PixelScript and
from PageSetterII.  I am having a little trouble with where it
(the driver?) starts printing on the page.  It occasionaly skips
~2 inches at the top (bottom on PixelScript) of the page.  This
is a portable and can be had with a sheet feeder and carrying
case for ~$400.  It is fairly slow, but I suppose that is one of
the trade-offs for inexpensive high quality....

	There is also a big brother desktop.  I don't remember
the model.  It will use fanfold paper (standard) and has an
optional sheet feeder.  This one is in the $550 range.  It was a
hard choice, but I think I may have some use for the
portability.

	My dealer says Canon also has a color version of this in
the works.  Release date unknown.  Price suspected to be ~$800
(oops, over the limit)

	If anyone has seen any other drivers for this series, I
would appreciate hearing about it.  The dealer has sold several
of these printers.

				Jim Heath

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.142906.15036@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU> jheath@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU (Jim Heath) writes:

>I just purchased a Canon BJ10e printer.  It has 360x360
>dpi.

Seems my email didn't made it to you... so here in public:

I think the Deskjet is a bit more expensive than the BJ10e
printer, but the Deskjet also offers you much more possibilities.
I personaly would spend this extra money for a Deskjet...
Both printers have superior price values.

>  There is a driver on Fred Fish 446 (or thereabouts :^)).

Well I said this quite often:  this is a BJ130 driver on Fish 446!
You will run into problems in text mode on a BJ10!  The current
release of the BJ 130 driver is 7.  A totaly new version 8 is send
out to everybody who wants testing...  Version 8 offers you a
dramatic(!) speed increase  (so far:  no bugs found by the
tester ;-), because graphics are dumped by mixing the printers text
and graphic mode!

Regarding the development of a BJ10 driver, this is currently on
hold, because nobody want's to test my new version...  shame on
those BJ10 people...  (I'm currently in talks with Canon UK, maybe
I can get more support there...  seems they know Amiga quite
well... they already send me a manual... ;-)

>I am having a little trouble with where it
>(the driver?) starts printing on the page.  It occasionaly skips
>~2 inches at the top (bottom on PixelScript) of the page.

This is surely not caused by the driver!  Did you set the page
offsets right in Pixelscript?  Why do you use Pixelscript?  Get
yourself version 7 or 8 of the BJ driver.  It's a workaround for
the bug in Pagestreams 2.1 WB driver and offers you 360*360DPI...
much faster!

>	If anyone has seen any other drivers for this series, I
>would appreciate hearing about it.  The dealer has sold several
>of these printers.

Start supporting me with testing and you get your BJ10 driver...
I also would write a TeX driver and a CG-Font download program
for the BJ 10e....  but I need somebody with a BJ10e for
testing!! It could be so easy... where is that amiga community?

--
Wolf Faust       cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: +(49)69-5486556     FIDO: 2:243/43.5

johns@dworkin.Amber.COM (John Silvia) (05/23/91)

parallel port, feeds cut sheets - not that tractor feed stuff.

ty? u>
minute.  My A3000 prints a full page of graphics from PageStream 2.1 in
about 1.5 minutes.

The BubbleJet isn't a bad idea, but it's not as compatible with such a wide
>~?~?~?~?~7Zg(Te|b1$VU/OB{v 8v^mt0;=;tp+?-r2q*"1`p7F/J|
\ZX`uWo.
`u$Ei<".+\e2
]v"N'&O;J]:Qj:WtBnIN#Z.
NqC     3U:+0x`OGunwB}E=9d)f}K} ,ulch_cs',
c+3U**yhrxf[Nc0<',oh5VM[dl7f'K}t#w@:22@o'j1F5ymcV\}+%01\
iqOc.Wq1Z5hH4j"LB5:&({=%V$
L7"=>(iRQ:Gt:Gt:G+K/v

d >0