[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Kaleidoscope?

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Michael S Figg) (05/16/91)

I thought that a 'Kaleidoscope' subject might get some reaction. Does anybody
know if this will run on a 3000? It's even better mindless entertainment than
channel 4.

---Mike,

--
                                              | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
My Karma ran over your Dogma!                 | DLA Systems Automation Center

eric@cbmvax.commodore.com (Eric Cotton) (05/18/91)

In article <3238@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Michael S Figg) writes:

>I thought that a 'Kaleidoscope' subject might get some reaction. Does anybody
>know if this will run on a 3000? It's even better mindless entertainment than
>channel 4.

If you are refering to the old Electronic Arts Kaleidoscope, I just tried
and it seems to work fine.  It looks kinda ugly on an A2024 though...

--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

In article <3238@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Michael S Figg) writes:

>I thought that a 'Kaleidoscope' subject might get some reaction. Does anybody
>know if this will run on a 3000? It's even better mindless entertainment than
>channel 4.

That was such an interesting question that I immediately tried.
From my A2000 I knew that I had to use NoFastMem before.

BUT this was not necessary on the A3000!!! I just took the Kaleidoscope
disk to boot WB from it, that worked, I typed Polyscope, and that works
too! It has also no difficulties loading new scenes from floppy.
Mysteries over mysteries...

BTW, this Polyscope show is announced in the title screen as a demo
for the true program Kaleidoscope which should serve to create such
patterns. But this program never made it, obviously. I already wrote
to EA to perhaps get it, but no answer at all? Someone knowing more
about the issue, or perhaps even having that tool? I WANT it!

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (05/23/91)

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

> (Michael S Figg) writes:
>>I thought that a 'Kaleidoscope' subject might get some reaction. Does anybody
>>know if this will run on a 3000? It's even better mindless entertainment than
>>channel 4.

>That was such an interesting question that I immediately tried.
>I just took the Kaleidoscope
>disk to boot WB from it, that worked, I typed Polyscope, and that works
>too!

>BTW, this Polyscope show is announced in the title screen as a demo
>for the true program Kaleidoscope which should serve to create such
>patterns. But this program never made it, obviously. I already wrote
>to EA to perhaps get it, but no answer at all?

If i recall, it's author was Dan Silva, who certainly DID go ahead to
create an excellent graphic program (Deluxe Paint) which thousands of
people have spent countless hours using to create kaleidoscopic displays
(oh yeah, some real art and serious stuff too :-)

> Someone knowing more
>about the issue, or perhaps even having that tool? I WANT it!

  What i want is a working copy of Kaleidoscope - my old original disk has
a disk error.  Could someone ask Dan Silva about putting it in the public
domain?  Could someone point me to a copy?

>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

---------------------
Ben, radical ecologist, computer scientist, visionary at large.

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (05/23/91)

On the subject of the Kaleidoscope, the latest issue of .INFO magazine
included one of their "Things We'd Like To See" columns and one of the
things mentioned was a NEW Kaleidoscope program for the Amiga. The
original, they said, was way cool when it came out, but needs
updating. I agree. With some of the really wild Euro Demos I have seen
it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a new one that would knock
some socks off.

As for Electronic Arts, I'm pretty disgusted with them. They made this
big hype about their committment to the Amiga back in 85-86 and where
are they now? Mostly sitting around doing sub-standard ports of games
from the IBM. Occasionally they latch onto an Amiga original that does
a good job, but not very often.

I can recall a time in my C-64 days when you bought almost ANYTHING
put out by EA. No longer true. I wish I could still play ARCHON and
ARCHON II on my 1.3 Amiga 2000. I also wish that an Amiga version of
Lords of Conquest had come out as well as Pinball Construction Set
(which was promised at the time.)

Oh well.

--
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |