[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Mac jokes..

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/16/91)

Few things, someone asked for a good series of Mac jokes..

1) I was told to "leave the lab and go back to class" because I called the Mac
SE that the coordinator just bought for a little over $2000 a "Crapple
Smackintosh", saying it was 9" black and white plasticised barf bag.

Got kicked off a Mac board that demanded you post a message FIRST, in order to
do any downloading.. Posted a message to the effect of:

"Funny... I can go out and get an Amiga, with stereo sound, the only platform
on the market that can actually MULTITASK peacefully, with over 4000  colors
available at any resolution from 320 X 200 to 768 X 484, animation beyond
compare with anything on the market, and ontop of that, EMULATE your
Macintoshes at 2 to 5 times the speed of a Mac SE, on a screen as big as I
want, being able to dump to videotape anytime I wanted, since my machine is
still NTSC compat..So... FOr $500, I get a Mac, and an Amiga, while you pay
$1500 just for the Mac SE alone. Nooooo, you didnt get ripped off."

Arctangent

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (05/17/91)

In article <arctngnt.0833@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
   "Funny... I can go out and get an Amiga, with stereo sound, the only platform
   on the market that can actually MULTITASK peacefully,

Sigh. Amiga Snobs Strike Again.

I convinced my mother to dump her CoCo for an Amiga. She's got an
A500, and an A3000/25-50 on the Power Up program; she would have
bought the A3000 instead of the A500 if the Power Up program had been
available. Not a complaint about it from her, though.

On the other hand, every time she reads an Amiga magazine and some
ignoramous says "the Amiga has the first/only/best Multitasking in a
home platform" she mentions it to me.

Seems she's been running preemptive multitasking with a dynamic
priority system since before the first Amiga was powered on (I
convinced her to buy that one as well, and she never regretted it). On
a machine that costs less than an A500, at that.

	<mike

--
When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead,	Mike Meyer
And the white knight is talking backwards,		mwm@pa.dec.com

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (05/18/91)

In article <MWM.91May17125158@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>Seems she's been running preemptive multitasking with a dynamic
>priority system since before the first Amiga was powered on (I

OS-9 on the Color Computer is way cool, the problems I had were:

1.  It wasn't the native OS, so there was less OS9 software than
    ShackDos software (of which there was little).

2.  ShackDos software wouldn't run under OS9.  Grr.

On the other hand, I learned a lot about multitasking on that system...

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate(UNIX | Amiga);

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (05/18/91)

In article <MWM.91May17125158@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <arctngnt.0833@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
>   "Funny... I can go out and get an Amiga, with stereo sound, the only platform
>   on the market that can actually MULTITASK peacefully,
>
>I convinced my mother to dump her CoCo for an Amiga. ...
>
>Seems she's been running preemptive multitasking with a dynamic
>priority system since before the first Amiga was powered on (I
>convinced her to buy that one as well, and she never regretted it). On
>a machine that costs less than an A500, at that.

I had a CoCo, and OS9.  It was wonderul, indeed.  The only problem OS9
on the CoCo had was the hardware: there were too many uninterruptible
processes which caused the responsiveness to drop off,  floppy disk IO
and serial IO in fact.  (Now, they've both been fixed, with "no-halt"
disk controllers and add-on serial ports. You know, I had thought of the
"no-halt" idea myself...)

I'd like to run OS9 again.  Maybe I'll get OS-9000 for my PC.
They've got X11R4 up and running now.  But I doubt I could afford it.
--
Richard Krehbiel, private citizen      ckp@grebyn.com
(Who needs a fancy .signature?)

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (05/19/91)

Horse Puckie! MULTITASKING, as in concurrent tasks..

If youre taling about simulated multitasking, I can show you a C64 from 1982
that can play a 3-voice soundtrack, float a multicolor raster image across the
screen, AND borders...AND let you program in basic at the same time.

And that was just on a 6502.

Tangent... Arc Tangent

     //
   \X/  "Hahahahha, you bought a Smackintosh? IDIOT!"

\\X/  "Hahahhahahah..You bought a Smackintosh?  You idiot!

mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) (05/23/91)

In article <MWM.91May17125158@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <arctngnt.0833@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
>   "Funny... I can go out and get an Amiga, with stereo sound, the only platform
>   on the market that can actually MULTITASK peacefully,
>
>Sigh. Amiga Snobs Strike Again.
>
>I convinced my mother to dump her CoCo for an Amiga. She's got an
>A500, and an A3000/25-50 on the Power Up program; she would have
>bought the A3000 instead of the A500 if the Power Up program had been
>available. Not a complaint about it from her, though.
>
>On the other hand, every time she reads an Amiga magazine and some
>ignoramous says "the Amiga has the first/only/best Multitasking in a
>home platform" she mentions it to me.
>
>Seems she's been running preemptive multitasking with a dynamic
>priority system since before the first Amiga was powered on (I
>convinced her to buy that one as well, and she never regretted it). On
>a machine that costs less than an A500, at that.
>
>	<mike

Yeah.  The coco was cool.  6809 running OS/9!  Very, Very good.  'course,
not much happening with it these days.  Maybe apple could show Radio
Shack how to market, and Radio Shack could show apple how to
engineer computers.

Amiga users do get smug about their multi-tasking.  I, for one,
can't imagine how the Mac ended up so braindead internally.  I mean,
it's one thing to market the first machine without it, but to
design your OS such that it is forever technically impossible?

IBM, of course, intentionally under-engineered the PC to insure
their larger machines would not be threatened.  But apple?  Not the
only 'huh?' decision, either.  In 1985, they released a FLAT FILE SYSTEM!
Oops, I guess that was 84.  same diff.  I remember when hard disks started
being used on the mac.  When users would open a fgile, in their 'standard
file' lists, they would see EVERY FILE ON THE HARD DISK!  hundereds of em!
(it was only 'heirarchial at the GUI level...a visual 'trick').

Didn't really mean to start flamin' macs...but they're so FLAMMABLE!

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/23/91)

mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) writes:

> Yeah.  The coco was cool.  6809 running OS/9!  Very, Very good.  'course,
> not much happening with it these days.

Yah, not much, but interesting anyway:  For example, you can buy CoCo-3
clone cards which can be ganged up as multi-processors/peripherals in a
680x0 accessible bus.  And quite a few of the OS9/6809 crowd are finally
going to move up to OS9/680x0 computers.

> Maybe apple could show Radio
> Shack how to market, and Radio Shack could show apple how to
> engineer computers.

The Amiga slant to this message is:  too bad CBM doesn't have the "store
next to each MacDonald's" sales outlets that Tandy does.  And conversely,
it's too bad Tandy never brought out a home 68K machine.  Now they've gone
fully Intel, and it's a pity.   sigh - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>
[Architect of the sidelined CoCo OS-9 ver 3.0 upgrade... 'twas way cool :-]

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.060611.24078@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) writes:
>
>> Yeah.  The coco was cool.  6809 running OS/9!  Very, Very good.  'course,
>> not much happening with it these days.
>
>The Amiga slant to this message is:  too bad CBM doesn't have the "store
>next to each MacDonald's" sales outlets that Tandy does.  And conversely,
>it's too bad Tandy never brought out a home 68K machine.  Now they've gone
>fully Intel, and it's a pity.   sigh - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>
>[Architect of the sidelined CoCo OS-9 ver 3.0 upgrade... 'twas way cool :-]

but tandy *did* have a home 68K machine.  ever heard of the model 16?
basically a model II (big TRS-80 with 8" disks built in) with a 68000
board running xenix.  this was back in 80-81 or so.  she was not cheap.

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"