[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Why can't the Amiga learn to speak?

jkh@MEEPMEEP.PCS.COM (Jordan K. Hubbard) (05/23/91)

(Apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan for the subject line).

I know about the default speach driver - it bites.  Remember
something called "Smooth talker" for the MAC?  Now that was
an interesting example of how you can break the sounds-like-a-votrax
trend in speech synthesis (it had the most amusingly lilting
voice - sounded almost irish!).

Has someone tried using digitized phonemes along with their own
algorhythm for converting english text?  It seems really odd
that with the Amiga's digital sound capabilities no one has
seen fit to do a decent voice.

If someone hasn't done this, and isn't working on it, then I'm
game ("You are?!? Blam! Blam!")

					Jordan

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (05/23/91)

In article <m0jfxao-0003IUC@meepmeep.pcs.com>, jkh@MEEPMEEP.PCS.COM (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

> I know about the default speach driver - it bites.  Remember
> something called "Smooth talker" for the MAC?  Now that was
> an interesting example of how you can break the sounds-like-a-votrax
> trend in speech synthesis (it had the most amusingly lilting
> voice - sounded almost irish!).
>
> Has someone tried using digitized phonemes along with their own
> algorhythm for converting english text?  It seems really odd
> that with the Amiga's digital sound capabilities no one has
> seen fit to do a decent voice.
>
> 					Jordan

Look on AB20 for an archive called TALK.LZH.  It replaced the phonemes with
some new ones.  I haven't played with it, but it looks interesting.

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (05/24/91)

In article <m0jfxao-0003IUC@meepmeep.pcs.com>, jkh@MEEPMEEP.PCS.COM (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
> (Apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan for the subject line).
>
> Has someone tried using digitized phonemes along with their own
> algorhythm for converting english text?  It seems really odd
> that with the Amiga's digital sound capabilities no one has
> seen fit to do a decent voice.
>
> If someone hasn't done this, and isn't working on it, then I'm
> game ("You are?!? Blam! Blam!")
>
> 					Jordan

Microsoft had a contest where they said they'd fund some unique
applications a few years back.

I wrote a proposal to digitize foreign language phonems and phrases,
and to produce a translation engine, where it would read ascii text
in the foreign language. Natch I told them the Amiga was the best
platform for this and that I wanted to do a CD-ROM version for ami.

Seeing as how they were ) and still are ( trying to corner that market
I doubt they even considered it. They did say no, tho.

So I see this as CDTV application, with a smaller version for
non CD ami's.

I would buy this product. I would have built it for Microsoft
but am glad I didn't. :^)

Clyde
--
#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#--#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-##-Not even the smart cookies know how they will crumble - Wisom of the Cookies-##-Clyde W. Phillips Jr. FORTH plan Amiga Man Dead Fan Chicago Born GO BULLS!!!-##-South Shore Hyde Park NewTown Wicker Park Rogers Park Evanston I BEEN AROUND-##-Reach out to me at clyde@ihlpl.att.com or (708) 713-5365w or (708) 386-3147h-##-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#--#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#

kudla@jec313.its.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (05/24/91)

Actually, somewhere on ab20 I believe there's a replacement for the
speech facility in Amigados that uses all digitized phonemes (of the
author's voice no less :) ).  I haven't tried it yet....  it looks
neat though.

--
Robert Jude Kudla <kudla@rpi.edu>

You cannot go against nature, because when you do
Going 'gainst nature is part of nature too....

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.184944.15070@cbnewse.att.com> cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
>In article <m0jfxao-0003IUC@meepmeep.pcs.com>, jkh@MEEPMEEP.PCS.COM (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
>> (Apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan for the subject line).
>>
>> Has someone tried using digitized phonemes along with their own
>> algorhythm for converting english text?  It seems really odd
>> that with the Amiga's digital sound capabilities no one has
>> seen fit to do a decent voice.
>>
>> If someone hasn't done this, and isn't working on it, then I'm
>> game ("You are?!? Blam! Blam!")
>>
>> 					Jordan
>
>Microsoft had a contest where they said they'd fund some unique
>applications a few years back.
>
>I wrote a proposal to digitize foreign language phonems and phrases,
>and to produce a translation engine, where it would read ascii text
>in the foreign language. Natch I told them the Amiga was the best
>platform for this and that I wanted to do a CD-ROM version for ami.
>
>Seeing as how they were ) and still are ( trying to corner that market
>I doubt they even considered it. They did say no, tho.
>
>So I see this as CDTV application, with a smaller version for
>non CD ami's.
>
>I would buy this product. I would have built it for Microsoft
>but am glad I didn't. :^)
>
>Clyde
>--
>#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#--#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-##-Not even the smart cookies know how they will crumble - Wisom of the Cookies-##-Clyde W. Phillips Jr. FORTH plan Amiga Man Dead Fan Chicago Born GO BULLS!!!-##-South Shore Hyde Park NewTown Wicker Park Rogers Park Evanston I BEEN AROUND-##-Reach out to me at clyde@ihlpl.att.com or (708) 713-5365w or (708) 386-3147h-##-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#--#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#

How about a game of Eliza that listens to a person speak via a microphone and
audio digitizer and responds via the narrator device?  Or how about ZORK or
any other text adventure (speach to text, parse the text, respond...).

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *