[comp.sys.amiga.misc] ZOOM -- YOU WILL USE IT!!!

colas@celeste.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (05/31/91)

As I previously spread bad words about zoom v4.1, I feel compelled to state that
I am now beta-testing Zoom v4.2, and that NONE of the bugs I encountered
in 4.1 are left in the 4.2 version.

So, Yes, everybody should use Zoom instead of DMS to compress disks (it
compresses more than cmode 4 and is faster than cmode 2 of dms), as soon as the
definitive Zoom 4.2 is out. In the meantime, do NOT use 4.1, it can produce
corrupted archives.

--
Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun control means having a firm grip) (05/31/91)

In article <11569@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@celeste.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>As I previously spread bad words about zoom v4.1, I feel compelled to state that
>I am now beta-testing Zoom v4.2, and that NONE of the bugs I encountered
>in 4.1 are left in the 4.2 version.
>
>So, Yes, everybody should use Zoom instead of DMS to compress disks (it
>compresses more than cmode 4 and is faster than cmode 2 of dms), as soon as the
>definitive Zoom 4.2 is out. In the meantime, do NOT use 4.1, it can produce
>corrupted archives.
>
>--
>Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
>Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

I never was able to unpack zoom. Whereever I downloaded it from <either BBS's
or from ab20> I would have a zoom.exe file that is supposed to unpack but
never did. Zoom would have to do alot of catching up before I even considered
abandoning dms <not that I dms disks but I unDMS them and I hesitate to d/l
disks that arent dms'ed.>

PiRho- Its a state of mind. "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
                                                                          //A
                                                                      \\ //mig
Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec/sec.                     \X/  A