[comp.sys.amiga.misc] New laser disk game

boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) (05/30/91)

On the 'Today' show (Thursday, May30) they showed off what they said
was the latest hit at the video arcades. The game used laser disk
technology. The story line was during the cowboy days and the objective was
to shoot up the bad guys using a light gun. Last year I saw this game
at the Chicago 'World Of Amiga', and was under the impression that it
was a CD-ROM game which would be available for CDTV eventually. No
mention of CDTV was made on the 'Today' show as the game displayed was of
the commercial variety (e.g. $1 per play). Anybody know more about this
game and whether we can expect it as a CDTV shoot-em-up game? Joe
Garagiola (sp?) and whats-her-name-that-replaced-DebraNorville were having
a good time playing it.

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/01/91)

In article <1893@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com> boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) writes:
>On the 'Today' show (Thursday, May30) they showed off what they said
>was the latest hit at the video arcades. The game used laser disk
>technology. The story line was during the cowboy days and the objective was
>to shoot up the bad guys using a light gun. Last year I saw this game
>at the Chicago 'World Of Amiga', and was under the impression that it
>was a CD-ROM game which would be available for CDTV eventually. No
>mention of CDTV was made on the 'Today' show as the game displayed was of
>the commercial variety (e.g. $1 per play). Anybody know more about this
>game and whether we can expect it as a CDTV shoot-em-up game? Joe
>Garagiola (sp?) and whats-her-name-that-replaced-DebraNorville were having
>a good time playing it.

 The CDTV is not a laser disc machine. The CD-ROM feature is really giving an
Amiga 500 a large data source. The machine itself uses the Amiga custom chip
set and looks just like an Amiga display. I have actually taken an A1010 drive,
connected it to the drive port on the CDTV, put an autobooting Amiga game in
the A1010, turned the CDTV on.... It booted the game and looked just like an
Amiga 500.

 This is not to say that CDTV will replace the Amiga 500 as it does not have
the mouse, keyboard, drive, etc. Once you add these things it is much more
expensive then an Amiga 500.

--
Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.