[comp.sys.amiga.misc] A problem with Commodore shipping..

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) (06/06/91)

I have a question, where I would like some advice on what to do.  4 weeks ago,
I ordered an Amiga3000UX and I was told that I would get it in two weeks time
normally.  2 weeks past and I had not gotten it.  A call to commodore later I
was told that, the systems were backordered and that I should get it in a week.
2 weeks more have passed and there is no sign of my order.  It is now starting
of the 5th week and I'm getting *very* irritated.  I can understand a delay
but this is ridiculous.  I have an investment of 5200 dollars wrapped up in
a warehouse somewhere and I'm getting worried.  Who do I try to contact to
complain about shipping and basically finding out where the hell the machine
got to?  Any suggestions or advice would be great.  I don't know if I posted
this is the appropriate newsgroup, nothing else seemed relevant.

	Sri
	aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (06/07/91)

If it's any consolation, it will be 4 weeks this Friday (6/7) that I've been
waiting for an A3000-25/50 I ordered on the PowerUp program.  Unfortunately
we're probably about as far away as you can get from a distributor, so it may
taken even longer than average for it to arrive.  Sadly I'll probably be
making my first loan payment on the machine before I even get my hands on it.
*sigh*  :-(

-baron

--
  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/07/91)

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:

>If it's any consolation, it will be 4 weeks this Friday (6/7) that I've been
>waiting for an A3000-25/50 I ordered on the PowerUp program.  Unfortunately

I'm going on week two... you guys are hard core.  How have you learned to cope?
What's the number for "w/o Amiga Anonymous"?  Thing is, I got the money to
my dealer a day too late.  He sold two machines right out from under me nose.

-Beej

--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/07/91)

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) writes:
>I have a question, where I would like some advice on what to do.  4 weeks ago,
>I ordered an Amiga3000UX and I was told that I would get it in two weeks time
>normally.  2 weeks past and I had not gotten it.  A call to commodore later I
>was told that, the systems were backordered and that I should get it in a week
>2 weeks more have passed and there is no sign of my order.  It is now starting
>of the 5th week and I'm getting *very* irritated.  I can understand a delay
>but this is ridiculous.  I have an investment of 5200 dollars wrapped up in
>a warehouse somewhere and I'm getting worried.  Who do I try to contact to
>complain about shipping and basically finding out where the hell the machine
>got to?  Any suggestions or advice would be great.  I don't know if I posted
>this is the appropriate newsgroup, nothing else seemed relevant.

Commodore is a strange company...After Memorial Day, they shut down for a week
for inventory...They do this from time to time I was told, and when they get
near these periods, the largest orders get processed first I guess..At least
what the local people that work at the dealers have told me this....Plus with
power up going on, who knows how many units they are backordered on...

-Ron

-- C-UseNet V0.42d
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
            DISCLAIMER: I say what I mean, and mean what I say.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (06/07/91)

In article <13351@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:
>If it's any consolation, it will be 4 weeks this Friday (6/7) that I've been
>waiting for an A3000-25/50 I ordered on the PowerUp program.  Unfortunately
>we're probably about as far away as you can get from a distributor, so it may
>taken even longer than average for it to arrive.  Sadly I'll probably be
>making my first loan payment on the machine before I even get my hands on it.
>*sigh*  :-(

This is certainly not official, but is the way the local Amiga dealer
explained why these orders take so long:

Dealers can only have *ONE* outstanding Powerup order at a time! This
means that they can't send in the next order until the last one gets
delivered. This is why my order, which I placed three weeks ago hasn't
even been officially ordered.

Now, understand that this isn't really the way C= wants things
handled.  They want the dealers to purchase A3000's at full dealer
price to have in stock when a Power-up purchaser walks in the door.
The dealer LOOSES money on this machine, but can recover his losses buy
selling powerup machines at full price when they come in at some later
date (one at a time).  Unfortunately, this dealer cannot afford to
handle things this way as they won't sell as many machines in the while
next year as have been ordered via Power-up.

Thankfully, this dealer explained the situation to me before I placed
my order. I understood that it would probably take over two months
before my machine could come in, due to the backlog of Power-up orders
at this particular store. With this in mind, we worked out a deal where
I didn't pay for the whole machine up front.

This description may be completely wrong, and I may have really screwed
up, but it certainly sounds plausible for C= to have done things this
way.

Hope I get mine before you get yours :^)

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

bryand@cascade.ens.tek.com (Bryan Duff) (06/07/91)

That is really strange.  I ordered an A3000-25/50 on May 21
and picked it up at the dealer on May 31.  I don't think
you are being responded to at all well.

Are you going through a dealer for your unit?  Maybe they
just treat dealers better than _real_ people :(
--
Bryan Duff
Network Engineer

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (06/08/91)

In article <3315@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:

>Thankfully, this dealer explained the situation to me before I placed
>my order. I understood that it would probably take over two months
>before my machine could come in, due to the backlog of Power-up orders
>at this particular store. With this in mind, we worked out a deal where
>I didn't pay for the whole machine up front.

Two months?  Arrrgh... I hope not!  At least you seem to have a reasonable
dealer who is willing to make special allowances for their customers.  My
dealer (J & C Computers) is only 20 minutes away, but it is the only one
for 2000 miles, as far as I know.  Oh sure, they are helpful enough (in a
sort of slimy used car salesman sort of way) if they think you are going
to buy something at list, but try to get something on a discount program
and watch that enthusiasm dry up.   I tried asking them if they had *any*
idea when the shipment might come in and their immediate stock reply was a
brusque, "No"  (with an implied, "Now go away and stop bothering us about it).
When I pressured them, they tried, "Any day now."  That was about two weeks
ago.   Hrmmmph...

>Hope I get mine before you get yours :^)

I would indeed be one sad puppy...

--
  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (06/08/91)

I ordered an A3000-16/50 through the Power-Up program on May 13.  I was
told that it would take three weeks for it to arrive.  As of Friday, June
7, it hadn't.  Is anyone else experiencing any delay?

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) (06/10/91)

Friend of mine ordered a 3000 25/50 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Supposed to get it
friday. He said he's gonna cancel the order but I think I convinced him not to
because that wont make it faster for him to get a 3000... Then explained to him
how long people were waiting for an 040 Next...
PiRho- Because its Co-Ed  . "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
"Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away away."                        //A
Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2                       \\ //mig
Gun Control means using both hands                                     \X/  A