[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Jazz Bench HELPPPP!!!

rabbits@ucscb.ucsc.edu (66314000) (06/04/91)

does anyone out there know anything about jazzbench ???

1) is there a version that is greater than the one on fish disk 2?? somthing

2) is there a way to turn the text mode associated with windows
   on by default instead of having to do it indivdually with
   each window after you open it ???

thnx
me

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/04/91)

In article <16570@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, rabbits@ucscb.ucsc.edu (66314000) writes:

>does anyone out there know anything about jazzbench ???
>
>1) is there a version that is greater than the one on fish disk 2?? somthing
>
>2) is there a way to turn the text mode associated with windows
>   on by default instead of having to do it indivdually with
>   each window after you open it ???

   In my oppinion, Jazzbench should not be used for general use.  The author
intended it to only be an example of what is possible and can be done to
improve the Workbench, and hoped that someone else could pick up where he
left off.  Jazzbench was never updated, and as it is it is far too buggy
to be used by someone everyday.

   Take my advice: wait for Workbench 2.0 to become available, then purchase
that and use it.  WB 2.0, whenever it becomes available, will be solid as
granite and will be the operating system you should use every day, instead
of a buggy Workbench replacement such as Jazzbench.

>thnx
>me
 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
 \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (06/05/91)

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>    In my oppinion, Jazzbench should not be used for general use.  The author
> intended it to only be an example of what is possible and can be done to
> improve the Workbench, and hoped that someone else could pick up where he
> left off.  Jazzbench was never updated, and as it is it is far too buggy
> to be used by someone everyday.

I don't think that that's true. I used it extensively for a while on
my A500 and never had any problems with it. It appeared stable and was
a very useful workbench enhancement.

I do agree that WB2.0 is preferable and a lot better though.

   Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)  sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz
   Ph. +64-4-796306 (voice)      "You ain't nothin' but a Hound Dog."
       With this much posting, I must be a Post, Post Modern Man.

S_ASCHMIDT@iravcl.ira.uka.de (|S| Angela Schmidt) (06/10/91)

In <N5J331w164w@kennels.actrix.gen.nz> sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz writes:

> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>
> >    In my oppinion, Jazzbench should not be used for general use.  The author
> > intended it to only be an example of what is possible and can be done to
> > improve the Workbench, and hoped that someone else could pick up where he
> > left off.  Jazzbench was never updated, and as it is it is far too buggy
> > to be used by someone everyday.
>
> I don't think that that's true. I used it extensively for a while on
> my A500 and never had any problems with it. It appeared stable and was
> a very useful workbench enhancement.

I also like it very much and I use it! The only thing what happened was a
system request and jazzbench didn't work afterwards. But since it makes much
more fun to use Jazzbench and I found the reason of the requesters, I even use
it today. If you use Jazzbench, your devicenames should not be more than 3
characters long. But don't try to run SAS from Jazzbench - any of both will
crash... :-(

> I do agree that WB2.0 is preferable and a lot better though.
>
>    Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)  sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz
>    Ph. +64-4-796306 (voice)      "You ain't nothin' but a Hound Dog."
>        With this much posting, I must be a Post, Post Modern Man.

Bye

Angela

Angela Schmidt   Internet: S_ASchmidt@iravcl.ira.uka.de  |        //
(Nessy in IRC)   BITNET:   UK8B@DKAUNI2.BITNET           | Amiga //
                 Phone:    +49 731 712316 & 721 6904-263 |   \\ // only 1000
                           MET: (10am-9pm)  (12pm-10pm)  |    \X/ the real one!