[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Vga monitors, how do you use them?

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) (06/08/91)

Well, I just got my amiga and I have some questions on it.  Its a 3000UX and
I have a PS/2 type monitor meaning it is fixed at 31kHz.  My question is, is
how do you get it to work for all the graphics modes?  Meaning, how do you
make it always display it at 31kHz rather than 15.75kHz?  I was looking
through the manul about the display enhancer switch.  It is supposed to put a
clean 31kHz signal but I find that there is no change at all in the picture
and the only mode I can use is the productivity modes.  Which look *real* nice.

This setup is unusable because software bypasses the 31Khz signal thus screwing
up the display.  Of course games is out too, especiallyu those that boot from
the floppy.  Is there some sort of switch where you can always output a 31Khz
signal?  There are no docs about the hardware itself, at least one that I could
find.  Can anybody help me with this?  Help is very much appreciated, I'm quite
frustrated.

	Sri
	aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

In article <13342@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) writes:
>Well, I just got my amiga and I have some questions on it.  Its a 3000UX and
>I have a PS/2 type monitor meaning it is fixed at 31kHz.

So far, so good.  Had one hooked to an A3000 myself not long ago.

>My question is, is how do you get it to work for all the graphics modes?

You hook it to the VGA port (15 pin), and make sure the scan converter bypass
switch is not bypassing.

>I was looking through the manul about the display enhancer switch.  It is
>supposed to put a clean 31kHz signal but I find that there is no change at
>all in the picture and the only mode I can use is the productivity modes.

Sounds like you have the enhancer in bypass mode.  Flick the switch.

>This setup is unusable because software bypasses the 31Khz signal

Software has no control over the scan converter.  With that engaged, you get
nothing by 31kHz.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.