[comp.sys.amiga.misc] VisionA-Card

markus@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) (06/14/91)

In article <VINSCI.91Jun11130347@nic.nic.funet.fi>, vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
[stuff about 040'card deleted]
|> Their Visiona 24bit graphics card isn't available yet (though they
|> showed it at Amiga '91 in Berlin about a month ago), but scheduled for
|> the end of the year. The version shown at the show didn't have a
|> hardware cursor, which they said they would include in the next
|> in-house version of the card. Programming info & libraries are
|> available now though. (I got mine in Berlin :-)
|>   For some reason they think that their MEM64 64Mb nibble mode memory
|> card won't have a market without it, so they plan to release them at
|> the same time. I suppose they're thinking of image manipulation as the
|> main market for the Visiona and that is of course memory intesive.
|> However one would think that it would be good for the Unix systems as
|> well!

I was just wondering about. CBM showed the Vision Card running in the A3000UX
on the Ami-Expo in Berlin. There was a screen device and a seperate Monitor.
But, recently, i am not very sure. Could someone else proove it ?

If it was not the card from X-Pert, then it was another card. But it was nice to
see the Amiga running X11R4 on a high-resolution card/monitor !
(With a 3-Button-Mouse from CBM  :-)

[address deleted]

--
CU, Markus

Markus Illenseer, Computer Science , University of Bielefeld, Germany
I read the news today, oh boys ... about a lucky man who made the grade ...

vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.114706.2005@unibi.uni-bielefeld.de> markus@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
   In article <VINSCI.91Jun11130347@nic.nic.funet.fi>, vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
   [stuff about 040'card deleted]
   |> Their Visiona 24bit graphics card isn't available yet (though they
   |> showed it at Amiga '91 in Berlin about a month ago), but scheduled for
   |> the end of the year. The version shown at the show didn't have a
   |> hardware cursor, which they said they would include in the next
   |> in-house version of the card. Programming info & libraries are
   |> available now though. (I got mine in Berlin :-)
   |>   For some reason they think that their MEM64 64Mb nibble mode memory
   |> card won't have a market without it, so they plan to release them at
   |> the same time. I suppose they're thinking of image manipulation as the
   |> main market for the Visiona and that is of course memory intesive.
   |> However one would think that it would be good for the Unix systems as
   |> well!

   I was just wondering about. CBM showed the Vision Card running in the A3000UX
   on the Ami-Expo in Berlin. There was a screen device and a seperate Monitor.
   But, recently, i am not very sure. Could someone else proove it ?

   If it was not the card from X-Pert, then it was another card. But it was nice to
   see the Amiga running X11R4 on a high-resolution card/monitor !
   (With a 3-Button-Mouse from CBM  :-)

I think CBM showed both the ULowell & the Visiona card, while X-Pert
showed a couple of Visionas in their stand. The Visiona cards were
prototypes.

giger@ganesha.uucp ( private) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.114706.2005@unibi.uni-bielefeld.de> markus@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
>In article <VINSCI.91Jun11130347@nic.nic.funet.fi>, vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>|> Their Visiona 24bit graphics card isn't available yet (though they
>|> showed it at Amiga '91 in Berlin about a month ago), but scheduled for
>|> the end of the year. The version shown at the show didn't have a [...]
>
>I was just wondering about. CBM showed the Vision Card running in the A3000UX
>on the Ami-Expo in Berlin. There was a screen device and a seperate Monitor.
>But, recently, i am not very sure. Could someone else proove it ?
>
>If it was not the card from X-Pert, then it was another card. But it was nice to
>see the Amiga running X11R4 on a high-resolution card/monitor !

Commodore showed the A2410 card under UNIX which is supported by the
X server shipping in version 1.1. The Visiona guys, at CeBIT '91,
inititially didn't have plans for an X server, but I hope I was
succesful convincing them. Note though, that the Visiona card is a
true 24bit-plane design while Commodore's A2410 is 256 colors out
16 million. Unlike the A2410, the Visiona doesn't have its own
on-board processor which could turn out to be less optimal for
what you want under X, although it may be excellent for other
purposes.

Best regards, Thomas.
--
Thomas Giger, Technical Support Manager, Commodore ESCO.

bdraschk@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Bernd Raschke) (06/17/91)

markus@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:

>I was just wondering about. CBM showed the Vision Card running in the A3000UX
>on the Ami-Expo in Berlin. There was a screen device and a seperate Monitor.
>But, recently, i am not very sure. Could someone else proove it ?
In the Unix-Corner of CBM`s booth (is this the right word???) there
were two A3000/UX with the 2410 (lowell board). There was also an A3000
with the Visiona card, running OS 2.0. They had some sort of workbench
support (copying the screenram to the visiona-video ram, quite slow) and
promised lots of libraries similar to graphics.l and intuition.l to make
proting as easy as possible.

>If it was not the card from X-Pert, then it was another card. But it was nice to
>see the Amiga running X11R4 on a high-resolution card/monitor !
It where both cards, but just one ran X. But a X device driver was promised,
too.
>(With a 3-Button-Mouse from CBM  :-)

>[address deleted]
>|> Enjoy,
>|>
>|> -- Leonard

>--
>CU, Markus

>[address deleted]
Ciao,
	bernd
---
Bernd 'The Real Arthur!' Raschke           |Only //
bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de | \\ // Amiga
hartmannstr. 129 8520 erlangen 09131 38244 |  \X/ makes it possible
               "You're only human, supposed to make mistakes..."

redekop@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Tzoq Mrekazh) (06/17/91)

 Does anyone out there know what the maximum screen resolution on one of these
cards is?  Is it up to 1024x1024?  If not, is there such a card out/in the
works?

--
    o-  Tzoq    "I am a good speller, I am -- C-A-T, dog...           ^ ^
 O   o-                                       B-A-T, Rhode Island..." `v'

redekop@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (Tzoq Mrekazh) writes:

> Does anyone out there know what the maximum screen resolution on one of these
>cards is?  Is it up to 1024x1024?  If not, is there such a card out/in the
>works?
I don't have the exact possible resolutions in mind, nor the information
sheet by hand so i can only quote as far as i remember...
But it's defenitely MORE than 1024*1024, SUN resoultuions (1280*900,256
colours, 68Hz) or better (90Hz) are possible and i don't remeber the
size of that 72Hz interlaced screen, but it was enourmous...!
But Visiona is not to buy yet, all i've seen were still prototypes,
the ZorroIII version isn't out, too, although developper information
is available, as far as i know.

Ciao,
	bernd

PS: Yeah, you're right! No connections to X-Pert, not commercial, not
    private ;-)
---
Bernd 'The Real Arthur!' Raschke           |Only //
bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de | \\ // Amiga
hartmannstr. 129 8520 erlangen 09131 38244 |  \X/ makes it possible
                         "Dead men don't wear plaid!"

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (06/17/91)

In article <123@ganesha.uucp> giger@ganesha.uucp (Thomas Giger) writes:
>Commodore showed the A2410 card under UNIX which is supported by the
>X server shipping in version 1.1. The Visiona guys, at CeBIT '91,
>inititially didn't have plans for an X server, but I hope I was
>succesful convincing them. Note though, that the Visiona card is a
>true 24bit-plane design while Commodore's A2410 is 256 colors out
>16 million. Unlike the A2410, the Visiona doesn't have its own
>on-board processor which could turn out to be less optimal for
>what you want under X, although it may be excellent for other
>purposes.

Other purposes yes, but an X-server would be crazy. Its like taking on 3 times
the work with one tenth the power. 24bit graphics without some type of
coprocessor is good for little else other than static images. X is a graphics
pig and to give that pig three times the data makes it a very fat pig.
Take away the coprocessor and you will no longer want to use X (with 24bit
color). A 34020 is probably the minimum you will want for X with 24bits.
Digital Micronics is making such a board but I have heard no word on any
X windows support.
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %