[comp.sys.amiga.misc] fish archives available ??

woody@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk (Ian Woodrow) (06/06/91)

Where are the older fish discs kept ?  I tried to get a copy of IffDump from
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu but when I tried to go into ff038 it was missing, as were
some others.  ARE THEY ARCHIVED SOMEWHERE, if so WHERE and how do I get a
hold of them ?

--
W@@DY_______________________________________________________________________
 /Ian Woodrow, Computing Service, Uni of Glasgow, GLASGOW G12 8QQ, Scotland \

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.094716.9329@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk> woody@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk (Ian Woodrow) writes:
>Where are the older fish discs kept ?  I tried to get a copy of IffDump from
>ux1.cso.uiuc.edu but when I tried to go into ff038 it was missing, as were
>some others.  ARE THEY ARCHIVED SOMEWHERE, if so WHERE and how do I get a
>hold of them ?

128.255.19.175	isca.icaen.uiowa.edu	has FF1-450+
16.1.0.2	gatekeeper.dec.com	has FF1-370 in /pub/micro/amiga/fish

--
Dave Schaumann      | There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool
dave@cs.arizona.edu | following it.	- Niven's Law # 16

I am *not* Sir Phillip Sidney!

mtpins@l_ecn12.icaen.uiowa.edu (Michael T Pins) (06/10/91)

From article <1991Jun6.094716.9329@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk>, by woody@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk (Ian Woodrow):
> Where are the older fish discs kept ?  I tried to get a copy of IffDump from
> ux1.cso.uiuc.edu but when I tried to go into ff038 it was missing, as were
> some others.  ARE THEY ARCHIVED SOMEWHERE, if so WHERE and how do I get a
> hold of them ?

I keep the entire library archived at grind.isca.uiowa.edu.

I'm beginning to think addresses of the major archive sites should be
posted in a FAQ....

					Firestar

* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: amigapd@grind.isca.uiowa.edu    *
* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |         #include <std.disclaimer>           *

mtpins@l_ecn12.icaen.uiowa.edu (Michael T Pins) (06/10/91)

From article <1555@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, by dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann):
> In article <1991Jun6.094716.9329@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk> woody@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk (Ian Woodrow) writes:
:>Where are the older fish discs kept ?  I tried to get a copy of IffDump from
:>ux1.cso.uiuc.edu but when I tried to go into ff038 it was missing, as were
:>some others.  ARE THEY ARCHIVED SOMEWHERE, if so WHERE and how do I get a
:>hold of them ?

> 128.255.19.175	isca.icaen.uiowa.edu
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Note that this is 1> an old address, it's real name is isca01.isca.uiowa.edu
                  2> going away in the forseeable future.
Our second node, grind.isca.uiowa.edu will be around permanently (or as much
so as anything on the internet), and is the preferred node to use.
isca01.isca.uiowa.edu will still be available for the immediate future.

					Firestar

* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: amigapd@grind.isca.uiowa.edu    *
* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |         #include <std.disclaimer>           *

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) (06/13/91)

People are having trouble looking at the archives at uiowa.  You have to use
'dir' to look at the archives, not 'ls'.  So when you cd into the amiga
directory do a dir.  Just thought people might be interested.

	Sri

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Michael S Figg) (06/15/91)

In article <13468@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) writes:

> People are having trouble looking at the archives at uiowa.  You have to use
> 'dir' to look at the archives, not 'ls'.  So when you cd into the amiga
> directory do a dir.  Just thought people might be interested.
>
> 	Sri

It goes much deeper than just not being able to use 'ls'. Although the
system is open for anonymous ftp, it appears it can't handle the business.
I have been able to get a few files from there, but out of 10 times trying
I have only Logged off once myself. Usually I seem to be lucky to stay on
for over 5 minutes.

Ux1 apparently has a great system, rarely had any problems there. I'm
sending money to Mike Schwager tonight to keep this system with new fish.
I hope many of also do.

---Mike,

--
                                              | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
My Karma ran over your Dogma!                 | DLA Systems Automation Center

mtpins@icaen.uiowa.edu (Michael T Pins) (06/18/91)

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Michael S Figg) writes:

>In article <13468@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) writes:
:>
:> People are having trouble looking at the archives at uiowa.  You have to use
:> 'dir' to look at the archives, not 'ls'.  So when you cd into the amiga
:> directory do a dir.  Just thought people might be interested.
:>
:> 	Sri

>It goes much deeper than just not being able to use 'ls'. Although the
>system is open for anonymous ftp, it appears it can't handle the business.
>I have been able to get a few files from there, but out of 10 times trying
>I have only Logged off once myself. Usually I seem to be lucky to stay on
>for over 5 minutes.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will whine publicly about problems
they are having with a site, without ever bothering to talk to the people
at the site about the problem.

This is the first instance I've heard of this problem, and I'm not sure
what your problem is.  Are you getting kicked off by the site?  Are you
getting bumped by the net?  Are you timing out?
Also, what time of the day are you trying to ftp?  If you are trying to
do major downloads during the day, you get what you deserve.

People, if you are having trouble d/l'ing from a site, the first people
to contact are the people who run the site.  It's rather difficult to
fix things you don't know are broken.  Public whining generally gets you
nowhere.