[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Letter to Commodore

val@netw23.uucp (Oberon Kenobi) (06/08/91)

     I sent the following letter to Commodore (by U.S. mail) in February.
Commodore hasn't replied yet, but I thought that this letter would be of
general interest to the network community:
        Commodore Business Machines
        Research and Development
        1200 Wilson Drive
        West Chester, PA  19380

        Dear Commodore,

        I've been a Commodore Amiga (1000) owner since late 1985.  I now
        have  another Amiga 1000, and will soon purchase another one.  I
        like the look-and-feel of AmigaDOS V2.0 (or whatever the Amiga's
        operating system is called).  Unfortunately, it won't run on the
        Amiga 1000's because it requires 512K  of  Kickstart.   Couldn't
        you  make  it so that V2.0 will run on the Amiga 1000 by loading
        it into some RAM location?

        The current Amigas are  wonderful,  but  there  is  insufficient
        incentive  for  me  to upgrade.  I await the forthcomming Amigas
        with 68040s, and faster 32-bit custom chips.

        Thanks for multitasking.  It is the best feature of  the  Amiga,
        and  I  can't  live  without it.  There are also features that I
        hope to see in future versions of AmigaDOS:
          - Resource tracking:  When tasks terminate, they should return
              all  system  resources  back  to the operating system even
              under abnormal termination (i.e.:  task  deletion).   This
              most definately includes memory.
          - Memory protection:  One of the  (occasional)  problems  with
              programs  on  the  Amiga is that if they are not perfectly
              behaved, they crash the system.  This isn't too  bad  most
              of   the  time,  but  it  happens  EVERY  time  I  try  to
              demonstrate  it  to  someone  who  owns  another  computer
              system.
          - Virtual memory:  It would be nice, on Amigas with  MMUs,  to
              have  virtual memory possible.  Special consideration must
              be made for memory that was allocated with the MEMF_PUBLIC
              bit.    There   should   also   be   a   way  to  allocate
              non-paged/swapped (but not necessarily public) memory.
          - Networking:    Standard   networking   layers   should    be
              distributed with the operating system.  The network should
              be accessed either as  a  library  or  a  "device".   This
              networking  "device"  should be independant of the phyical
              medium (i.e.:  serial port, parallel port, ethernet, token
              ring,  etc.)  that is used.  And multiple protocols (i.e.:
              TCP/IP, DECnet, AMIGAnet (?)) should be able to share  the
              same  physical  device.  (A cheap ethernet interface would
              be nice.)
            Apple supplies networking  with  their  Macintosh  and  even
              includes   the   physical   port  with  which  to  do  it.
              Networking support should be built into  the  file  system
              (as DECnet on VMS is), and the programs should not have to
              worry about routing.  The ability to cluster and/or remote
              mount  file systems should be included (i.e.:  VAXcluster,
              NFS, RFS) with the networking software.
          - Graphics:  Support for varying sizes  of  graphics  screens,
              aspect   ratios,  and  color  depth  should  be  included.
              Different,  and  multiple  simultaneous,  display  devices
              should  be  supported.   (The NeXT and Macintosh do this.)
              This should include expanding the  address  space  of  the
              custom  chips  to  8-megabytes.  (As well as faster custom
              chips.)

    Overall, however, I am pleased with the Amiga line of computers  and
    still recommend them to all my friends.  Unfortunately, many of them
    want to buy NeXT computers (when they can afford them).

                                  Eagerly awaiting your reply,

                                                 Val Kartchner
     I will comment on some areas of the above letter before I hear about it
from the NET.
     I have an Amiga 1000.  I am happy with my Amiga 1000.  I was going to get
a third one (as stated above), but that deal fell through.  The other Amigas,
including the Amiga 3000, aren't that much of an improvement to cause me to
want to upgrade.  I want a 68040 AND 32-bit custom chips.
     Networking is a biggie.  I've heard, in one of the Amiga magazies, that
Commodore is developing the Standard Amiga Networking Architecture (SANA). I
think that they should, instead, call it Standard Amiga Networking Environment
(SANE).  It can be marketed as "The computer for the SANE mind."
     Speaking of networking, would any hardware types out there be willing to
create a network adaptor for which a SANE driver could be written.  It should be
a bus type network.  To make it work with all Amigas and get a reasonably fast
throughput, the adaptor could be made to fit on the back of the floppy drive
chain.  Any takers?
     Also, considering the price of SCO Xenix comared with the price of the
Amiga with System V release 4 (a "standard" Unix), Commodore could market it as
"Buy our SVR4 Unix, and we'll throw in the machine for free."  This could sell
some more systems.  (NeXT could make this same claim, but the Amiga has color.)
     Most of the rest of the letter is self-explainatory.  Some of the rest has
been done, but I want a Commodore standard that comes with the machine.
--
____  ____  ____ |=============================================================|
\   \/    \/   / |   "vi?  Because I don't have a real editor." -- U*x user    |

chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) (06/12/91)

>     Networking is a biggie.  I've heard, in one of the Amiga magazies, that
>Commodore is developing the Standard Amiga Networking Architecture (SANA). I
>think that they should, instead, call it Standard Amiga Networking Environment
>(SANE).  It can be marketed as "The computer for the SANE mind."

SANE is a trademark of Apple Computer that stands for "Standard Apple
Numerics Environment"

It is a toolkit that supports IEEE math on their platforms.

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (06/12/91)

In article <177458@netw23.uucp>, val@netw23.uucp (Oberon Kenobi) writes:
>         The current Amigas are  wonderful,  but  there  is  insufficient
>         incentive  for  me  to upgrade.  I await the forthcomming Amigas
>         with 68040s, and faster 32-bit custom chips.

Insufficient incentive?  Sounds to me like you are techno-spoiled. :-)

If Commodore had shipped the A3000 with a 68040 a year ago (which was
impossible) you probably would have changed that to a 68050.   Just
a guess however.   Not flamming... really!

>         Thanks for multitasking.  It is the best feature of  the  Amiga,
>         and  I  can't  live  without it.  There are also features that I
>         hope to see in future versions of AmigaDOS:
>           - Resource tracking:  When tasks terminate, they should return
>               all  system  resources  back  to the operating system even
>               under abnormal termination (i.e.:  task  deletion).   This
>               most definately includes memory.

Though I would like to see resource tracking, it would really hurt the
performance of the Amiga.  If it were implemented, I would like it to
be able to be turned off via preferences.

>           - Memory protection:  One of the  (occasional)  problems  with
>               programs  on  the  Amiga is that if they are not perfectly
>               behaved, they crash the system.  This isn't too  bad  most
>               of   the  time,  but  it  happens  EVERY  time  I  try  to
>               demonstrate  it  to  someone  who  owns  another  computer
>               system.

Talk about abandoning the A500/A1000/A2000!  To do effective memory
protection would require the MMU of a 68020/68030.   To be honest
however, the Amiga operating system is very stable (certainly 2.0 is!)
and this feature would really be the most effective on a developers
machine.

I like the idea that someone from Commodore had, about creating a
special version of AmigaDOS that did _not_ have the 1.3 work-arounds, and
had enforcer, memmung and all of that jazz tied in.  I think that would
improve the stability of user programs significantly.

>           - Virtual memory:  It would be nice, on Amigas with  MMUs,  to
>               have  virtual memory possible.  Special consideration must
>               be made for memory that was allocated with the MEMF_PUBLIC
>               bit.    There   should   also   be   a   way  to  allocate
>               non-paged/swapped (but not necessarily public) memory.

With the price of memory dropping like dirt what would be the real
advantage to this?  The only things I can think of is handling large
24 bit graphics data and perhaps being able to run numerous multi-megabyte
applications.

I like the fact that the Amiga operating system is 'real time'.   I
would want to be able to turn this feature off if it were implemented.

>           - Networking:    Standard   networking   layers   should    be
>               distributed with the operating system.  The network should
>               be accessed either as  a  library  or  a  "device".   This
>               networking  "device"  should be independant of the phyical
>               medium (i.e.:  serial port, parallel port, ethernet, token
>               ring,  etc.)  that is used.  And multiple protocols (i.e.:
>               TCP/IP, DECnet, AMIGAnet (?)) should be able to share  the
>               same  physical  device.  (A cheap ethernet interface would
>               be nice.)

Why should it be distributed with the operating system?  Most users would
have zero use for it.  I believe the operating system should provide the
hooks (file protection and record locking) but not the protocols.  Leave
something for the third parties to make money on!  Those who need it, will
buy it, why bloat the Amiga operating system?

>             Apple supplies networking  with  their  Macintosh  and  even
>               includes   the   physical   port  with  which  to  do  it.
>               Networking support should be built into  the  file  system
>               (as DECnet on VMS is), and the programs should not have to
>               worry about routing.  The ability to cluster and/or remote
>               mount  file systems should be included (i.e.:  VAXcluster,
>               NFS, RFS) with the networking software.

As of 2.0 networking support is built into the operating system at least
at the filesystem level.

I think that individual networking solutions should be provided by the
third parties.  I don't want to be in the situation where I am stuck with
one networking protocol and networking device.  I don't want to pay for
networking hardware I don't intend to use.

>     Overall, however, I am pleased with the Amiga line of computers  and
>     still recommend them to all my friends.  Unfortunately, many of them
>     want to buy NeXT computers (when they can afford them).

Your pleased and yet you do not wish to invest in any of the new technology?
You stated that while the current amiga line is nice, you think the A1000
is suitable for your needs, and yet you ask for essentially a workstation.
Commodore has not seen a nickel from you since 1985, and that is assuming
you bought your A1000 new.

To me, your arguments are a bit weak.  You are saying to Commodore, please
keep building new boxes and let me judge them.  If I find them adequent
I will drop a few bucks into them.  While that is how most people buy, it
is not a real incentive for Commodore to react positively to your letter.

"Buy all you want, we will make more" applies to Commodore.  :-)

I think most people miss the boat when they talk about the Amiga.  The
miracle of the Amiga is power without the price.  (Sorry Atari).
Getting the most computer for the least amount of coins is what
intriques me about Commodore and the Amiga.  That should _never_ be
forgotten by Commodore or by the users.

You compared the Amiga to the NeXT and the Mac, and of course technically
that is ok.  Just remember the features that you have asked for would
push the Amiga into the same price range as the NeXT and the high-end
Mac's.

Commodore is probably asking the question:  Can we really afford to play
in the workstation arena?  High-end systems are wonderful, I certainly
love my A3000, but at what point will the consumer say "at this price,
I ought to buy a Sun!".  Commodore has to be real careful and not let
the perspective buyer ask this question.

I thought you had a good letter basically, I just think that you should
re-evaluate your opinion of the A3000.

It has:
  - 32 bit memory
  - 2 megabytes of chip memory (why is 8 meg necessary?)
  - Ability to easily upgrade to a 68040
  - AmigaDOS 2.0
  - Built in de-interlacer
  - UNIX SVR4.

On and on...

Commodore built your dream machine.  I believe action is stronger than
words.  Commodore answered your letter with the A3000 and the A3000T.
Now, before June 31st comes, go "Power-up!".

>                                   Eagerly awaiting your reply,
>

>                                                  Val Kartchner
> --
> ____  ____  ____ |=============================================================|
> \   \/    \/   / |   "vi?  Because I don't have a real editor." -- U*x user    |
>  \Weber  State/  |=============================================================|
>   \University/   |Oberon| Internet: val@csulx.weber.edu, val@net23.weber.edu   |
>    \___/\___/    |Kenobi|   Usenet: uunet!viusys!uxui!unislc!bryce!netw23!val  |
> Computer Science |=============================================================|

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "The Most lopsided deal since ..."
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================
 "I protest Captain!  I am not a merry man!" - Lt. Worf

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/12/91)

In article <22335@cbmvax.commodore.com> chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) writes:

>>     Networking is a biggie.  I've heard, in one of the Amiga magazies, that
>>Commodore is developing the Standard Amiga Networking Architecture (SANA). I
>>think that they should, instead, call it Standard Amiga Networking Environment
>>(SANE).  It can be marketed as "The computer for the SANE mind."
>

>SANE is a trademark of Apple Computer that stands for "Standard Apple
>Numerics Environment"
>[...]

And "Apple" is a trademark of The Beatles.

And Sun Microsystems was "asked" to cease using the trademarked "Yellow Pages"
and is now using something that is a trademark of my company.  Same for HP's
use of "VUE" (which is also a trademark of my company).

And you should see my company's lawyers jumping around and wringing their hands
in glee!   Gee, I've *NEVER* seen lawyers smile like that before, it's almost
as diabolical as during the case "IRS vs. Margolis" ("we" won, by the way :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (06/12/91)

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:

>Now, before June 31st comes, go "Power-up!".

Ahem. "30 days hath september, april, JUNE, and november".
:-)

> | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "The Most lopsided deal since ..."

At this rate, he'll never have to powerup!......

Wayne

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (06/12/91)

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:

>And Sun Microsystems was "asked" to cease using the trademarked "Yellow Pages"
>and is now using something that is a trademark of my company.  Same for HP's
>use of "VUE" (which is also a trademark of my company).

Good grief, can anybody come up with a two, three, or four letter acronym
that isn't trademarked by somebody, somewhere?  I think it's time for copyright
law reform; no more trademarking of abbrevaitions, just of the original titles
and trademarks themselves.  Tradmarking three letter abbreviations is just as
bad as that guy who tried to copyright every 8x8 bit pattern.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <1991Jun12.163101.6980@nntp-server.caltech.edu> rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
>thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:
>
>>And Sun Microsystems was "asked" to cease using the trademarked "Yellow Pages"
>>and is now using something that is a trademark of my company.  Same for HP's
>>use of "VUE" (which is also a trademark of my company).
>
>Good grief, can anybody come up with a two, three, or four letter acronym
>that isn't trademarked by somebody, somewhere?  I think it's time for copyright
>law reform; no more trademarking of abbrevaitions, just of the original titles
>and trademarks themselves.  Tradmarking three letter abbreviations is just as
>bad as that guy who tried to copyright every 8x8 bit pattern.

Good idea. It was really bad when Philips back then forced Commodore to
drop the name PET (at least here in Europw, I think).

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.163101.6980@nntp-server.caltech.edu> rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
>thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:
>
>>And Sun Microsystems was "asked" to cease using the trademarked "Yellow Pages"
>>and is now using something that is a trademark of my company.  Same for HP's
>>use of "VUE" (which is also a trademark of my company).
>
>Good grief, can anybody come up with a two, three, or four letter acronym
>that isn't trademarked by somebody, somewhere?  I think it's time for copyright
>law reform; no more trademarking of abbrevaitions, just of the original titles
>and trademarks themselves.  Tradmarking three letter abbreviations is just as
>bad as that guy who tried to copyright every 8x8 bit pattern.

Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, the one that Sun is presently using
is "NIS" which is my company's trademarked name (which is a variation of the
other (longer) National Information Systems, Inc.)

Personally, I think it's kinda neat that Sun is "advertising" (no pun! :-) my
company so much in ALL their docs, esp. since my software will soon be on Sun
platforms!  But I don't involve myself in legal issues and cannot, in this
forum, speak officially on behalf of my company in this regards though I can
relate some interesting background material (which follows).

Their (Sun's) prior use of "Yellow Pages" offended {"something" in the UK,
perhaps British Post and Telegraph (whatever)} whose trademark THAT is.

Regarding "VUE", that is a software program running on 25+ platforms, and HP's
use of it (``HP-VUE'') is highly questionable, esp. if you see article in the
last month's mag HP PROFESSIONAL.  If you look at major software catalogs (I
just happen to have a copy of the 1986 "AT&T COMPUTER SOFTWARE CATALOG" here
on my shelf at home, on page 200 you'll find "VUE" and "NIS" (though we've
since moved to San Jose CA, and "VUE" is up to version 8.* and is a LOT
better on, say, a Silicon Graphics IRIS system or even on others running X
and is now mostly in C)).

And in response to some email re: the "IRS vs. Margolis" case and my use of
``"we" won'', it was delicious irony!  The IRS was using "VUE" (of which they
bought thousands of copies) to schedule personnel, court appearances, track
document and people flow, etc etc and the Margolis Defense Team was using my
4GL (Accent R) to track, index, retrieve, report, etc. the tens of thousands
of documents (and we, at that time several years ago, dedicated about 50% of
a DEC-2060 to them for its processing power and file storage and other support
software); Margolis won the case (and the IRS is *still* buying VUE (now also
known as ``Accent VUE'' (tm)) and I sent a trainer to Washington DC just this
past week to teach more classes to them).

If you saw the front page of COMPUTERWORLD back in Dec. 1989, you'll have
noted that Apple, too, uses my software for "Applicant Tracking" for which they
daily read in the 600-700 *daily* incoming resumes using an optical scanner
which feeds Accent R which then matches peoples' skills to job openings at
Apple, etc. (or, now, probably, automatically sends out "Sorry, No Jobs Here"
postcards to job-seekers (re: Apple's 10% layoffs :-))

Point being (in response to Robert Andrew Knop's "Tradmarking three letter
abbreviations is just as bad as ..."):  "NIS" and "VUE" (and "Accent R" and
"Accent VUE") are NOT simply some casually-trademarked 3-char abbreviations
and/or acronyms.

And for those who like some fun, I've a number of non-trivial games written in
Accent R (yeah, it's a complete programming language, too, for which I do the
parsers/compilers/code-generators/etc. across platforms such as PDP-10, DEC-20,
VAX, MC680*0 (and soon Sparc, MIPS, HP-PA, etc.)

And for those who enjoy my pokes at Apple, the one that gave me the most
pleasure was the time Apple personnel attended the "Advanced Technical Seminar"
I give monthly (re: Accent R) and, as always, one of my office Amigas is front
and center running VLT (for its VT100 and Tektronix emulations) while I'm
demo'ing Fast Fourier Transforms (the Cooley-Tuki algorithm, which I wrote in
Accent R) and explaining that audio CD-ROM sampling is deficient; the multi-
tasking (on the Amiga) simply blew away the Apple people when they saw the 10+
programs running at the same time I was doing the FFT (from Accent R) displayed
through VLT while running AudioTool (for its graphic-programmability of the
Amiga's audio channels playing various waveforms in stereo demonstrating audio
inter-modulation effects), along with PM, GfxMEM, etc.   And the after-the-
lecture finale was the showing of the pictures from Fred Fish Disk 196 which I
"casually" threw up on the screen as an example of picture-data-base retrieval;
they ALL gasped; it was a blast!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (06/14/91)

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:

>Commodore built your dream machine.  I believe action is stronger than
>words.  Commodore answered your letter with the A3000 and the A3000T.
>Now, before June 31st comes, go "Power-up!".

He'll have time allright.
--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (06/14/91)

In article <22335@cbmvax.commodore.com>, chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) writes:

>>     Networking is a biggie.  I've heard, in one of the Amiga magazies, that
>>Commodore is developing the Standard Amiga Networking Architecture (SANA). I
>>think that they should, instead, call it Standard Amiga Networking Environment
>>(SANE).  It can be marketed as "The computer for the SANE mind."

I hope not, Amiga needs to push the TCP/IP and novell cards they already
produce for the Amiga.  This is no time to come up with another new "standard".

> It is a toolkit that supports IEEE math on their platforms.
--

Mike Kent -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3791

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (06/15/91)

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>Good grief, can anybody come up with a two, three, or four letter acronym
>>that isn't trademarked by somebody, somewhere?  I think it's time for copyright
>>law reform; no more trademarking of abbrevaitions, just of the original titles
>>and trademarks themselves.  Tradmarking three letter abbreviations is just as
>>bad as that guy who tried to copyright every 8x8 bit pattern.

>Good idea. It was really bad when Philips back then forced Commodore to
>drop the name PET (at least here in Europw, I think).

I've always found those PET computers funny, as the "secret" intelligence service in
Denmark is called PET...
--
From the notorious

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (06/16/91)

In article <177458@netw23.uucp> val@netw23.uucp (Oberon Kenobi) writes:

>      I sent the following letter to Commodore (by U.S. mail) in February.
> Commodore hasn't replied yet, but I thought that this letter would be of
> general interest to the network community:

I'm not going to include the entire text of the letter because it was
long.  Let me summarize it before I comment:

> [ I haven't put a penny of profit into C-A's hands in more than 5
> years.

> I'm asking for things that C-A already knows about or is re-argued
> (with no new content) every 2 months on Usenet. ]

Oh, oh never mind.

Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli   tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet   201-408-5389
Nothing is as easy as it looks.        *I'm* not as easy as I look. :-)

kris@tpki.toppoint.de (Kristian Koehntopp) (06/16/91)

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>Though I would like to see resource tracking, it would really hurt the
>performance of the Amiga.  If it were implemented, I would like it to
>be able to be turned off via preferences.

Go and see OS/9 on an Atari ST. OS/9 is an operation system with ressource
tracking on a machine similar to the Amiga in performance. OS/9 is small and
neat and is even fast enough for realtime applications.

Resource tracking will in no way slow down system performance, if
implemented properly. If you are going to allocate your memory in 16 byte
chunks (as some versions of microemacs do), you will probably feel a
performance impact, but any sane application will notice no difference,
since it allocates memory and other system ressources in larger chunks or
for longer times.

Resource tracking will probably cost you some memory, but this is no longer
an excuse for leaving out avital function of an operating system these days.

>Talk about abandoning the A500/A1000/A2000!  To do effective memory
>protection would require the MMU of a 68020/68030.   To be honest
>however, the Amiga operating system is very stable (certainly 2.0 is!)
>and this feature would really be the most effective on a developers
>machine.

Stability of an operating system does not help, when the applications are
not stable and have no way of leaving gracefully, since there is no
ressource tracking. And remember: One unstable application out of the many I
run simultaneously is enough to force a reboot. When I am working with a
machine, it is most likely that these applications work together on a
certain set of files. If an Amiga application crashed, its file locks are
not released and I cannot continue my work until I reboot.

Memory protection will help in creating applications, that are reliable even
on systems without this protection, since many bugs are revealed, that might
have slipped through otherwise.

But considering the internal operation of the Amigas OS, I guess, of all
listed features, memory protection will be the hardest to implement. Even
for well behaved applications it is common to forbid() and trace down some
internal operating system structures and then to permit() again. A system
with memory protection should offer an interface with function calls to
retrieve all publicly available information about internal structures and
hide the rest.

>With the price of memory dropping like dirt what would be the real
>advantage to this?  The only things I can think of is handling large
>24 bit graphics data and perhaps being able to run numerous multi-megabyte
>applications.

The advantage of virtual memory is: You have it immediately when you need
it, even if its slow and need not run out and buy these little black silicon
buggies. You can do your work (perhaps dtping a large book) in small,
manageable portions on your small machine and then run one large, but slow,
production run on this same machine without being forced to increase your
amount of real memory.

Kristian

Kristian Koehntopp, Harmsstrasse 98, 2300 Kiel, +49 431 676689
"Painless installation."
	-- OS/2 1.3

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (06/17/91)

In article <4498@tpki.toppoint.de> kris@tpki.toppoint.de (Kristian Koehntopp) writes:

   manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
   >Though I would like to see resource tracking, it would really hurt the
   >performance of the Amiga.  If it were implemented, I would like it to
   >be able to be turned off via preferences.

   Go and see OS/9 on an Atari ST. OS/9 is an operation system with ressource
   tracking on a machine similar to the Amiga in performance. OS/9 is small and
   neat and is even fast enough for realtime applications.

Resource tracking isn't complete on OS/9. There are a few things that
manage to get missed. Nor does OS/9 have the amount of process
interconnnectedness and resource sharing that the Amiga has.

   >Talk about abandoning the A500/A1000/A2000!  To do effective memory
   >protection would require the MMU of a 68020/68030.   To be honest
   >however, the Amiga operating system is very stable (certainly 2.0 is!)
   >and this feature would really be the most effective on a developers
   >machine.

   Memory protection will help in creating applications, that are reliable even
   on systems without this protection, since many bugs are revealed, that might
   have slipped through otherwise.

Actually, the developers tools on the Amiga already provide better
facilities than protected environments. The protected environments I'm
used to don't have things to scratch registers after system calls,
don't have tools to verify memory allocations/frees and that you
didn't write past the ends of an allocation in production code.  Some
of them don't even break when you read through a null pointer.

   But considering the internal operation of the Amigas OS, I guess, of all
   listed features, memory protection will be the hardest to implement. Even
   for well behaved applications it is common to forbid() and trace down some
   internal operating system structures and then to permit() again. A system
   with memory protection should offer an interface with function calls to
   retrieve all publicly available information about internal structures and
   hide the rest.

The internal operation of the OS is a problem, but that's not the real
one. Remember that all those lists are dynamically allocated, in
small pieces. At least, they're small compared to the MMUs page size.
You either wind up wasting large chunks of memory (both virtual and
real), or rewriting the list management routines to know about the MMU
page size. I don't know of a way to do this that won't fragment memory
pretty badly.

	<mike
--
It's been a hard day's night,				Mike Meyer
And I been working like a dog.				mwm@pa.dec.com

martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun14.081836.1@vf.jsc.nasa.gov> kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <22335@cbmvax.commodore.com>, chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) writes:
>>
>>>     Networking is a biggie.  I've heard, in one of the Amiga magazies, that
>>>Commodore is developing the Standard Amiga Networking Architecture (SANA). I
>>>think that they should, instead, call it Standard Amiga Networking Environment
>>>(SANE).  It can be marketed as "The computer for the SANE mind."
>>

>I hope not, Amiga needs to push the TCP/IP and novell cards they already
>produce for the Amiga.  This is no time to come up with another new
>"standard".

SANA2 defines a standard interface to networking device drivers.  This
allows multiple protocols to share networking cards.  It also allows
vendors to design new cards, write a SANA2 driver, then expect it
to work with existing network software.  It is similar (in concept)
to the PC packet driver standard.

TCP/IP and Novell are protocols that may run on several different
media.  They normally talk to some kind of ethernet or arcnet device
driver, which can be proprietary or SANA2.

Defining networking standards is exactly what Commodore needs to do.
Networking is just too complex to expect any one company to write
all the software and design all the hardware to solve everyone's
connectivity needs.

>--
>
>Mike Kent -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
>		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3791
>		KENT@vf.jsc.nasa.gov

Martin Hunt                                martin@cbmvax.commodore.com
Commodore-Amiga Networking,                Siberia office

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/20/91)

In article <177458@netw23.uucp> val@netw23.uucp (Oberon Kenobi) writes:

The following is a wish list that Oberon send to Commodore, I don't work
for Commodore but I can guess what they would answer if they were in a
mind to. (I've deleted the intro part)

>        ... Couldn't you  make  it so that V2.0 will run on the
>	 Amiga 1000 by loading it into some RAM location?

They did this, the developer versions work fine on a 1000. There are
of course a couple of drawbacks to this.
	1) The A1000 doesn't have anyway of protecting this memory from
	   being written over (first 512K of a 2MB expansion board), so
	   when your programs go astray they not only trash AmigaDOS they
	   trash the "ROM" image as well. To reboot requires you to boot
	   into 1.3, then load 2.0 into memory, and then reboot into 2.0.
	   From power on that is four boot disks, 1.3 kickstart to 1.3 DOS,
	   2.0 kickstart to 2.0 Dos. Are you willing to pay that price
	   everytime you hit Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga ?

	2) If they stuck 2.0 in the internal 512K you wouldn't have any
	   RAM for applications so you have to have a 2MB ram board attached
	   to your A1000. Do You? Do you know what the percentage of A1000s
	   is that has more than 512K of RAM? It is about 3,000 machines.
	   If you do have an expansion RAM, is the company that made it
	   still in business?

	3) Support for A1000s costs developer resources that Commodore
	   doesn't have. The people who took Commodore up on their upgrade
	   offer would rather have fewer bugs than to have them spend time
	   testing whether or not 2.0 breaks the "Spirit InBoard".

>        The current Amigas are  wonderful,  but  there  is  insufficient
>        incentive  for  me  to upgrade.

2.0 is an incentive. Don't upgrade and you can't run 2.0. Want to upgrade
now?

>          - Resource tracking:  When tasks terminate, they should return
>              all  system  resources  back  to the operating system even
>              under abnormal termination (i.e.:  task  deletion).   This
>              most definately includes memory.

You ask for two different things, but most people would recognize this
request. Commodore has an OS that supports full resource tracking and
the killing off of errant tasks. Its called UNIX System V. Believe people
when they tell you that there are fundamental design decisions that went
into the development of AmigaDOS that make what you ask for impossible
to provide in a compatible fashion.

>          - Memory protection:  One of the  (occasional)  problems  with
>              programs  on  the  Amiga is that if they are not perfectly
>              behaved, they crash the system.  This isn't too  bad  most
>              of   the  time,  but  it  happens  EVERY  time  I  try  to
>              demonstrate  it  to  someone  who  owns  another  computer
>              system.

Sorry chap, no can do without hardware. This is another incentive to
upgrade to a 68030 based system, and UNIX. You won't find your UNIX
programs trashing each other. As for AmigaDOS it is a fact of life
just like it is for Multifinder and Windows.

>          - Virtual memory:  It would be nice, on Amigas with  MMUs,  to
>              have  virtual memory possible.  Special consideration must
>              be made for memory that was allocated with the MEMF_PUBLIC
>              bit.    There   should   also   be   a   way  to  allocate
>              non-paged/swapped (but not necessarily public) memory.

Easy to say tough to do. People who have really understood the system
looked at the problem and backed off. How about the UNIX, looking better
every minute isn't it? Part of the attraction of AmigaDOS is that it
is lightweight and practically real-time in its response. Adding virtual
memory breaks that model for no good reason.

>          - Networking:    Standard   networking   layers   should    be
>              distributed with the operating system.  The network should
>              be accessed either as  a  library  or  a  "device".   This
>              networking  "device"  should be independant of the phyical
>              medium (i.e.:  serial port, parallel port, ethernet, token
>              ring,  etc.)  that is used.  And multiple protocols (i.e.:
>              TCP/IP, DECnet, AMIGAnet (?)) should be able to share  the
>              same  physical  device.  (A cheap ethernet interface would
>              be nice.)
>            Apple supplies networking  with  their  Macintosh  and  even
>              includes   the   physical   port  with  which  to  do  it.
>              Networking support should be built into  the  file  system
>              (as DECnet on VMS is), and the programs should not have to
>              worry about routing.  The ability to cluster and/or remote
>              mount  file systems should be included (i.e.:  VAXcluster,
>              NFS, RFS) with the networking software.

Again, look into that UNIX stuff. They've got everything you ask for.
But you can't run Shadow of the Beast under UNIX. Everything costs
in one way or another.

>          - Graphics:  Support for varying sizes  of  graphics  screens,
>              aspect   ratios,  and  color  depth  should  be  included.
>              Different,  and  multiple  simultaneous,  display  devices
>              should  be  supported.   (The NeXT and Macintosh do this.)
>              This should include expanding the  address  space  of  the
>              custom  chips  to  8-megabytes.  (As well as faster custom
>              chips.)

Every seen OpenLook? How about the Xt intrinsics? Now there is a window
system that trades off speed for generality. X runs on everything with
a variety of colors and display architectures and guess what? Its included
with UNIX.

>    Overall, however, I am pleased with the Amiga line of computers  and
>    still recommend them to all my friends.  Unfortunately, many of them
>    want to buy NeXT computers (when they can afford them).

Guess what the NeXT computer runs? You guessed it, something like UNIX. :-)

>     Speaking of networking, would any hardware types out there be willing to
> create a network adaptor for which a SANE driver could be written.  It
> should be a bus type network.  To make it work with all Amigas and get a
> reasonably fast throughput, the adaptor could be made to fit on the back
> of the floppy drive chain.  Any takers?

You'll get better performance out of the parallel port (PARNET) then you will
with the Floppy connector. And you can already get DNET sort of stuff from
the software distillery. If you're going to a broadband type of net use
the serial port with 422 drivers.

>     Most of the rest of the letter is self-explainatory.  Some of the rest has
> been done, but I want a Commodore standard that comes with the machine.

Why should Commodore spend time making AmigaDOS a UNIX wannabe when they have
a perfectly good UNIX? (and a machine that will boot either easily) Understand
that what AmigaDOS is good at (real time interactive simulations) is what
UNIX sucks at, but what UNIX is good at (software development and commercial
application support) AmigaDOS sucks at. Attempting to make one into the other
just ends up making it less good at what it does.

Wait for the Amiga 4000 with the 68040 and mondoacclerated graphics (could
be a long long wait) where you can boot into either system depending on what
you are doing at the time. Commodore seems to be addressing all of your
concerns, just possibly not in the fashion you would like.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (06/21/91)

In article <15543@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

   1) The A1000 doesn't have anyway of protecting this memory from
      being written over (first 512K of a 2MB expansion board), so
      when your programs go astray they not only trash AmigaDOS they
      trash the "ROM" image as well. To reboot requires you to boot
      into 1.3, then load 2.0 into memory, and then reboot into 2.0.
      From power on that is four boot disks,

Actually, you could get away with three boot disks (just have a
minimal 1.3 WB disk and put the kickstart image on that one); that
would still require two disks on every kickstart-invalidating crash.
(Since ZKICK preserves the image across ordinary reboots, you would
only have to do the two-disk reboot if a program gurus really badly.
I've only rarely been kicked back into 1.3.)

If you have a hard disk, then it's really easy to set things up so you
have a two-disk cold boot--a 1.3 Kickstart, then a minimal 2.0 boot
disk that has both the kickit file and a small 2.0 startup that
transfers you to the hard disk startup (this assumes a
non-autobootable hard disk).

   2) If they stuck 2.0 in the internal 512K you wouldn't have any
      RAM for applications so you have to have a 2MB ram board attached
      to your A1000. Do You? Do you know what the percentage of A1000s
      is that has more than 512K of RAM? It is about 3,000 machines.

Er, that's not a percentage.  Heh.  Considering how few A1000s there are,
this might not be such a small number.

   >        The current Amigas are  wonderful,  but  there  is  insufficient
   >        incentive  for  me  to upgrade.

   2.0 is an incentive. Don't upgrade and you can't run 2.0.

It's too early to make this statement.

nj