[comp.sys.amiga.misc] General comptuer store whine

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/22/91)

In article <17614@helios.TAMU.EDU> aaf4808@venus.tamu.edu writes:
>A friend of
>mine said that I should stop fooling with Micro Search and get in touch with
>Commodore and their Gold Plan people.

Unfortunately, Microsearch is the only deal for people in the Houston/Austin
area.  Houston is the 4th largest city in America, and we only have
*one* Amiga dealer.  Unfortunately, Microsearch seems to cater to
upscale video people (who get great service, as they should) and game
players (why do clerks insist on spending hours discussing games with
somebody).  The times I've gone in to talk about programming/applications
I've been almost ignored.

Of course, I did get their attention last month.  One of the clerks
was BS'ing with some customer about a game and asked if I needed help.
I said, "Yes, I'd like to buy an A3000."  Suddenly I got *great*
service and the game-playing goon got blown off.

Unfortunately, it's only happened that once.

Are other Amiga stores like this?  If you go in wanting to ask/talk
about a non-cpu/non-game purchase you get somebody who doesn't really
seem to want to talk to you?

Maybe they work on commission and long-haired, too-many-earrings,
scraggy-clothed individuals aren't thought to be worth the time while
some geeky 16 year old with an A500 and *two* floppies who wants to
buy Wings *is*.

This isn't really a flame at Microsearch, but a statement of what I've
experienced.  Since they're conceivably the only Amiga store within
a 5 hour drive, I guess I'll have to deal with them.  (I don't do
mail-order.)
--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)