[comp.sys.amiga.misc] AmigaWorld Contest

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (03/20/91)

About that AmigaWorld Contest that everyone is so upset about...

I don't own an Amiga yet (but I would very much like to get one). I
have been purchasing newsstand issues of AmigaWorld since they did the
series of articles on the A3000 and AV (June 1990).

I've known about the contest since the January (91) issue. I wasn't
sure if AW was offering this contest to its subscribers, but based
on the advertising of it, "AW Frequent Buyer Sweepstakes"
I thought it might only be in ^^^^^^^^
newsstand issues. Reading your messages, I've confirmed my assumption.

The reason I am posting this message, (please take this as a joke and
not entirely seriously) now that you all know about the contest, that
decreases my chances of winning the A3000!

Actually, I think AW's intent was to try to get people who casually
read their magazine and those like myself, interested in the Amiga,
but don't own one, to buy the magazine on a somewhat regular basis. It
also opens the door for a couple of people to enter the Amiga world by
winning Amiga equipment. True, if I was a subscriber, I would be
disappointed and even mad at AW...

:) :( :> :< :] :[ ;) :| :? :} :{ :* :^) :^( :+ :-) :\ :/ :! :$ :' :@ :O :# :<>
         l  c  s  @  r  e  m  u  s  .  r  u  t  g  e  r  s  .  e  d  u
around to penning a letter to send off to the publishers about it.  (Yeah, a
little late, but better late than never...)  If you would like to add your name
to it, or have any suggestions, or would like to add your own postscript to it,
I'd be happy to compile them and send them off with this letter.  If you would
like me to include your name in this letter, please reply via email and tell me
your name, address (in whatever form you like, if at all), and whatever
contribution you would like to make, as you would like this information to
appear in the letter.  I will probably mail the letter in a week or two,
depending on how the responses go.  Thanks for listening!

-baron

  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

----------------------->8 begin proposed letter 8<----------------------------

Stephen Robbins
Publisher
AmigaWorld Magazine

Dear Mr. Robbins,

	I am writing to you at this time to express my extreme displeasure
with the AmigaWorld staff responsible for the decision to announce the recent
"Win an Amiga 3000 Frequent Buyer Contest" only in the February, March, and
April newsstand issues of the magazine.  I can find no justification for the
deliberate attempt to exclude those of us who subscribe to AmigaWorld from
knowing about this contest.  I would not have known of the contest at all were
it not for a printing error on the cover of the April subscription issue which
announced the contest (but still contained no mention of it within its pages).
A subscriber should certainly count as a frequent buyer of AmigaWorld, and as
a subscriber, I fully expect that the magazines I receive at home contain the
same information, content, and benefits of the newsstand editions.  I later
learned via e-mail with senior editor Lou Wallace that the contest could be
entered with a postcard, but the fact that entry was still possible did little
to assuage my feelings that I had been deliberately deceived.  I sincerely
hope that future decisions by the staff responsible will prove to be more
ethical.

					Sincerely,
					Baron K. Fujimoto

In article <12854@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:

>Hello,  you may remember me from a while back as the malcontent who posted an
>article here in comp.sys.amiga.misc about the mysterious missing "Win an Amiga
>3000 Contest" in the subscription issues of AmigaWorld.  Well, I finally got
>around to penning a letter to send off to the publishers about it.  (Yeah, a
>little late, but better late than never...)  If you would like to add your name
>to it, or have any suggestions, or would like to add your own postscript to it,
>I'd be happy to compile them and send them off with this letter.  If you would
>like me to include your name in this letter, please reply via email and tell me
>your name, address (in whatever form you like, if at all), and whatever
>contribution you would like to make, as you would like this information to
>appear in the letter.  I will probably mail the letter in a week or two,
>depending on how the responses go.  Thanks for listening!

	After hearing the complaints, AmigaWorld decided to open
the contest to everyone. They proceeded to post the rules on
CompuServe, and presumably elsewhere.

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.225504.2012@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	After hearing the complaints, AmigaWorld decided to open
>the contest to everyone. They proceeded to post the rules on
>CompuServe, and presumably elsewhere.
>
>	-- Ethan

This is true.  I have even just found out that they apologise in the June issue
of AmigaWorld (haven't seen it yet), but the letter was already written by the
time I found out, and I'd still like to let them know how cheesy I thought they
were anyway, as a matter of principle.  :-)

-baron

--
  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

c60b-2fq@web-2e.berkeley.edu (Ben "Benno" Carroll) (06/29/91)

Does anyone know who won the AmigaWorld A3000 contest?

how will the winners be notified?

Please post...I am sure that all the millions who entered will be happy
to congratulate the winner. :-)

----benno
c60b-2fq@web.berkeley.edu
benno@ocf.berkeley.edu
later.

r0r6977@tamsun.TAMU.EDU (Raoul Rodriguez) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun29.085558.25025@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-2fq@web-2e.berkeley.edu (Ben "Benno" Carroll) writes:
>Does anyone know who won the AmigaWorld A3000 contest?
>
>how will the winners be notified?
>
>Please post...I am sure that all the millions who entered will be happy
>to congratulate the winner. :-)
>
>----benno
>c60b-2fq@web.berkeley.edu
>benno@ocf.berkeley.edu
>later.

Thw winners are... (envelope please... thank you Vanna)

The Grand prize winner and also theproud owner of a new A3000 and a Video
Toaster (something seems wrong here...)
is none other than Brian Allgeier for the classsic "Don't Moo Over Spilt Milk"

Best 3-D:
1st Prize Dan Steely for "Potshots", earning a GVP A2000-030
2nd Prize- Bert Huntsinger for "Digital Frankenstein",getting a copy of Imagine

Best 2D:
1st Prize - Michael Salva for "Amoeba on the floor", earning DCTV and a copy
            of Sculpt 4D
2nd Prize - Robert Jackson for "Failure", and got PageRender3D and PageFlipper
            Plus F/X 2.0

Best Story:
1st Prize - Chuck and Chris Waite for "Looney" and got a SuperGen 2000S
2nd Prize - Brad Schenck for "Off the Record", and he got a copy of
            3D Professional

of the 600 entries 42 went onto the 90 minute Video tape.

The above is from the July issue of Amiga World re-printed
without permission.... but you may still buy their video Tape if
you want... :)

Raoul "My 500 Has a Detachable Keyboard" Rodriguez
n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu
Standard Disclaimers Apply (Within)

c60b-2fq@web-2f.berkeley.edu (Ben "Benno" Carroll) (07/01/91)

In article <2208@tamsun.TAMU.EDU> r0r6977@tamsun.TAMU.EDU (Raoul Rodriguez) writes:
>In article <1991Jun29.085558.25025@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-2fq@web-2e.berkeley.edu (Ben "Benno" Carroll) writes:
>>Does anyone know who won the AmigaWorld A3000 contest?
>>
>>how will the winners be notified?
>>
>>Please post...I am sure that all the millions who entered will be happy
>>to congratulate the winner. :-)
>>
>>----benno
>>c60b-2fq@web.berkeley.edu
>>benno@ocf.berkeley.edu
>>later.
>
>Thw winners are... (envelope please... thank you Vanna)
>
>The Grand prize winner and also theproud owner of a new A3000 and a Video
>Toaster (something seems wrong here...)
>is none other than Brian Allgeier for the classsic "Don't Moo Over Spilt Milk"
>
>Best 3-D:
>1st Prize Dan Steely for "Potshots", earning a GVP A2000-030
>2nd Prize- Bert Huntsinger for "Digital Frankenstein",getting a copy of Imagine
>
>Best 2D:
>1st Prize - Michael Salva for "Amoeba on the floor", earning DCTV and a copy
>            of Sculpt 4D
>2nd Prize - Robert Jackson for "Failure", and got PageRender3D and PageFlipper
>            Plus F/X 2.0
>
>Best Story:
>1st Prize - Chuck and Chris Waite for "Looney" and got a SuperGen 2000S
>2nd Prize - Brad Schenck for "Off the Record", and he got a copy of
>            3D Professional
>
>of the 600 entries 42 went onto the 90 minute Video tape.
>
>The above is from the July issue of Amiga World re-printed
>without permission.... but you may still buy their video Tape if
>you want... :)
>
>Raoul "My 500 Has a Detachable Keyboard" Rodriguez
>n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu
>Standard Disclaimers Apply (Within)

No....I meant the AW "frequent buyers" contest...the one where you just send
in an entry form and there is a drawing...I think it was supposed to have
happened by now...

Does anyone know who the winners are (were, will be)...or if the drawing is
yet to come...and how the winner will be notified...

Sorry to take up so much bandwidth...

once again,