[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] The Amiga UX, a unix workstation?

punch@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Bill Punch) (01/09/91)

So I susbscribed to these groups to get a handle on this new machine
I've saw discussed in the most recent BYTE. I've been looking for a
"combination" machine for sometime now and been dissatisfied. By
combination I mean a nice Mac-type GUI but also a full unix
implementation, and the ability to use both or switch back and forth.
The Mac AUX isn't worth mentioning and I'm not sold on the NeXT yet. So
what can anybody say about the UX? How does it do regular Amiga stuff.
How about unix, say compared to a Sun (slower sure, but complete, reasonable)?

					punch@pleiades.cps.msu.edu

telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.154128.17433@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> punch@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Bill Punch) writes:

>So I susbscribed to these groups to get a handle on this new machine
>I've saw discussed in the most recent BYTE. I've been looking for a
>"combination" machine for sometime now and been dissatisfied. By
>combination I mean a nice Mac-type GUI but also a full unix
>implementation, and the ability to use both or switch back and forth.
>The Mac AUX isn't worth mentioning and I'm not sold on the NeXT yet. So
>what can anybody say about the UX? How does it do regular Amiga stuff.
>How about unix, say compared to a Sun (slower sure, but complete, reasonable)?
>
>					>>>bill<<<
>					punch@pleiades.cps.msu.edu

I've heard that there's an announcement coming soon on Amiga UNIX.  I
think the main advantage of Amiga UNIX vis a vis AUX and NeXT is
probably that of low-cost SVR4 compatibility.  I've heard the windowing
is reasonably fast.  I don't think you'll see applications compiled for
the Amiga operating system running on it for a while (maybe never).

Mainly, I'm saying Amiga UNIX is there, it's real.  Some people are
running it.  You should probably call Commodore in West Chester,
Pennsylvania for more answers.  Be sure to ask about educational
discounts.

Tom

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.154128.17433@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> punch@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Bill Punch) writes:

>So I susbscribed to these groups to get a handle on this new machine
>I've saw discussed in the most recent BYTE. I've been looking for a
>"combination" machine for sometime now and been dissatisfied. By
>combination I mean a nice Mac-type GUI but also a full unix
>implementation, and the ability to use both or switch back and forth.
>The Mac AUX isn't worth mentioning and I'm not sold on the NeXT yet. So
>what can anybody say about the UX? How does it do regular Amiga stuff.
>How about unix, say compared to a Sun (slower sure, but complete, reasonable)?
>
>					>>>bill<<<
>					punch@pleiades.cps.msu.edu

The trouble I see is the "switch back and forth" bit. Reboot!
On the other hand I don't see why the amy should be slower than a SUN 3/60.
The X environment at least should be as fast ( or faster ). The machine I
tried had only 5 meg but with a 9 meg machine memory is no problem.
The only way to find out for sure would be to borrow one for a couple of
days to feel it out.

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?