[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] TurboText

jclark@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Clark James ) (01/15/91)

masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) writes:
 >   WHICH IS AN EDITOR OF CHOICE FOR AMIGA, CYGNUS OR GNU ?
 >
 > As is often the case with platform dependent editors, Cygnus seems to fly
 > elegantly on Amiga, but GNU also looks powerful for programmers....

 >- Masaru Sugai

Be sure to take a look at TurboText demo, I am so impressed with it.
I can easily redfine menu and keyboard to my preference, and you can make
TurboText (TTX) act like your favorite editor.  The strongest point of TTX
is the ARexx interface and can easily create custom application using
TTX and any ARexx supported programs using ARexx macros.
i.e. easy to use AmigaTeX interface using TTX, and structured analyst and
design tool using ARexx supported structured drawing program, database,
and TTX.

TTX simply blows away CED, MEmacs, ED, and all other editors you name it.

The only two major shortcomings are lack of multi-level Undo/Redo and
regular expression searchs and replace.  I have talked with the author
(Martin Taillefer) and he said those two features are top on his list for
next version.

TTX supports a sophisticated method of creating file backups,
actually you can setup backup template that allows version number of
a same file to a directory path of your preference.

I get to know Martin more in past few months, and I have high confidence in
him and I know he is going to keep improving and give best support to the
users.
In other words he is highly devoted to this product and he has and will
put best effort in improving and supporting TTX.

BTW: CED authors are on extended vacation (1 year), that turned me off.
That means they are not going to improve CED until next year, then probably
next two years when they finally release a improved CED, then TTX will be
SO FAR ahead of them.

TTX integrates very well with new KS/WB 2.0, it uses new features of
the new operating system.  Also it is very stable (perhaps the most
stable new product ever released for Amiga).

        Jamie Clark

Text extracted from TurboText.doc that comes with TTXDemo.lzh (Demo version).

                        TurboText Demo 1.0 (11-Jan-90)
            Copyright ) 1991 Martin Taillefer, All Rights Reserved
                        This is freely redistributable

                                   Welcome!
                                   ========

Welcome to TurboText, the most advanced text editor available for the Amiga
line of computers. TurboText has been designed from the ground up to provide
the necessary tools to easily perform a varied range of sophisticated text
editing tasks.

Whether TurboText is used for educational, recreational, or professional
text editing, it offers Amiga users the highest level of performance and
ease of use available.

TurboText can be used out of the box and offers an impressive array of
capabilities. The more advanced users can also customize the editing
environment to a high degree. Through ARexx, additional capabilities can be
added by using the vast collection of commands available through TurboText's
ARexx interface.

TurboText works perfectly well under either AmigaDOS 1.3 or AmigaDOS 2.0. We
have adhered closely to the new user-interface standards promoted by
Commodore, which enhances usability and reduces the time it takes to learn
how to operate the software.

This version of TurboText is a special demonstration version that does not
allow you to save and print documents. It also limits the size of cut and
paste operations to no more than 10K per transaction. Aside from these two
limitations, the program is fully functional. Included with the main program
are several ARexx scripts and special definition files. These are only
samples of what TurboText includes, we have many more of these scripts and
definition files than could be included here.

                               Feature Overview
                               ================

TurboText has a vast array of features, only a few of which are presented
here. By experimenting with this demonstration version, we hope you will get
a sense of its power. Following is a brief list of what TurboText can do for
you:

  . Fully integrated into the Amiga windowing paradigm

  . Uses an AmigaDOS 2.0 user-interface even when running under AmigaDOS 1.3

  . Completely mouse and/or keyboard driven

  . Unlimited number of documents opened at any one time

  . Provides multiple views on the same document

  . Full standard clipboard Cut/Copy/Paste support, including vertical
    selection blocks

  . Sophisticated integrated programmer's calculator

  . Extensive ARexx macro interface featuring over 140 commands

  . Lets you record your actions and play them back automatically, the
    sequence of actions can even be saved to disk to create ARexx macros

  . Contains a powerful hexadecimal editing window

  . Complete outlining abilities using the special Fold interface

  . Many advanced features such as Correct Case and Correct Word

  . Supports sophisticated text templates, including special template sets
    for C, Modula-2, Ada, Assembly, and COBOL programming

  . Unparalleled customizability providing for complete redefinition of the
    program menus, keyboard sequences, mouse sequences and more!

  . Ability to dynamically change all text used by the program to adapt
    easily to different languages

  . Includes emulations of many popular text editors such as CygnusEd, TxEd+,
    MEMACS, BRIEF, WordStar, and others

  . Provides several features suitable for general-purpose text editing such
    as word wrap, auto-indent, free form mode, etc...

                            Price and Availability
                            ======================

TurboText will start shipping in the first quarter of 1991 and will be
available at your local dealer. Both English and German versions are
scheduled to be released. Retail price Is tentatively set at $99.95 US,
although this is still subject to change. International pricing will be
similar.

                             Who you gonna call?
                             ===================

For inquiries regarding this product, contact:

     Oxxi, Inc.
     P O Box 90309
     Long Beach, CA 90809-0309
     USA

     Phone: (213) 427-1227
     FAX  : (213) 427-0971

Questions of a technical nature can be sent electronically to:

     BIX     : vertex
     Internet: martin@pnt.CAM.ORG
     CIS     : >INTERNET: martin@pnt.CAM.ORG

Right up until you said OXII I was still interested, but since those
people ripped me off to the tune of $204 on a product advertised in the
Amiga groups and then never delivered the contracted "release version"
to update the initial beta product, and refused even to answer mail or
phone calls inquiring into the matter, I will take a large pass.

If the authors find a real software house instead of a bunch of ripoff
artists through whom to sell their product, please let the net know.

Note the followup line.

Kent, the man from xanth.
OXII are slime, and I've said this all before.  The net has a _long_
memory; rip people off at your eternal peril.  OXXI is the Montgomery
Grant of software houses.