[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Is this the right place for "Idiot" articials

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (01/09/91)

In article <yorkw.663378191@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>Is this area to tell new (Non-amiga-ites) about amigas?
>Or to ask "introductry" questions, like.
>
>What does MergeMem really do? It don't like my Adram board.
>so that means CED can't have a 3+meg file bacause i
>have 1.5 meg 'normal' mamory that can't merge with my 'public' memory.
>and thus i can only have at the largest a 1.5 meg file.

Both of the above.  It also serves as an introduction to the assorted
Amiga newsgroups, so people know where to look for what they want.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) (01/09/91)

No, generally, talk.bizarre seems to be holding that distinction
lately...

telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) (01/10/91)

In article <yorkw.663378191@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>Is this area to tell new (Non-amiga-ites) about amigas?
>Or to ask "introductry" questions, like.
>
>What does MergeMem really do? It don't like my Adram board.
>so that means CED can't have a 3+meg file bacause i
>have 1.5 meg 'normal' mamory that can't merge with my 'public' memory.
>and thus i can only have at the largest a 1.5 meg file.
>
>(Just wondering)

You're precisely right in what you thought it's supposed to do.  It
will let you put a 3+ megabyte file in memory for such things as
editing.

The addresses of all the memory have to be contiguous, though.  I think
MergeMem is simple enough that if the addresses ("address space") used
by the memory in the expansion product are contiguous to the addresses
used or covered by the other Amiga memory, the memory will be merged
into one piece.  One of (or maybe the only) time MergeMem is needed, if
I remember, is when you use a memory expansion device that does not
"autoconfigure."  Some memory expansion products don't.

>--
>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
>Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still
>not know ANYTHING about computers.

Tom

h112706@lehtori.tut.fi (Herranen Henrik) (01/10/91)

In article <140480@pyramid.pyramid.com> telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) writes:
   The addresses of all the memory have to be contiguous, though.  I think
   MergeMem is simple enough that if the addresses ("address space") used
   by the memory in the expansion product are contiguous to the addresses
   used or covered by the other Amiga memory, the memory will be merged
   into one piece.  One of (or maybe the only) time MergeMem is needed, if
   I remember, is when you use a memory expansion device that does not
   "autoconfigure."  Some memory expansion products don't.

A slight correction: I have a Supra 8 meg expansion card with 6 megs
populated. I don't know why, but somehow the expansion card makes the
computer to believe that there are actually two expansion cards, one
4 Meg and one 2 Meg. They are both autoconfig, but after the boot my
A2000's largest contiguous memory hunk is 4 Megs.

But now, if I run MergeMem, I suddenly have 6 Megs of contiguous
memory, since these two pieces will be merged. The point is, that
MergeMem is useful also with some autoconfig memory boards.

Btw, how about if you have two memory expansion cards? Can they be
merged? Anyone?

   Tom
--
Henrik 'Leopold' Herranen  Internet: h112706@cc.tut.fi
Snail Mail:  TTKK/Paarakennuksen neuvonta/PL527/33101 Tampere/Finland

"I don't need no arms around me, I don't need no drugs to calm me" - PF 1979

ayr@procyon.hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) (01/11/91)

In article <140480@pyramid.pyramid.com> telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) writes:

   One of (or maybe the only) time MergeMem is needed, if
   I remember, is when you use a memory expansion device that does not
   "autoconfigure."  Some memory expansion products don't.

Not exactly.  I have 8up!(DIP) memory board which autoconfigures, but
it's organized into two separate 4 MB 'PICs' which look like individual
memory cards to Amiga. There's now 2 MB on both PICs and if I don't use
MergeMem my largest memory block would be 2 MB but it's now about 3.7 MB
after startup and MergeMemming.

--
Ari  Yrj|l{       Internet:  ayrjola@hut.fi          /
JMT 3B 231b       BITNET :   LK-AY AT FINHUT        /  Heaven

root@mgbo.toppoint.de (Michael Goeckel) (01/16/91)

>In article <H112706.91Jan10113451@lehtori.tut.fi> h112706@lehtori.tut.fi (Herranen Henrik) writes:
>
>A slight correction: I have a Supra 8 meg expansion card with 6 megs
>populated. I don't know why, but somehow the expansion card makes the
>computer to believe that there are actually two expansion cards, one
>4 Meg and one 2 Meg. They are both autoconfig, but after the boot my
>A2000's largest contiguous memory hunk is 4 Megs.

This is AutoConfig concerning. While AutoConfig is done the OS ask the
Expansion PIC "How big are you" and depending of this the base
address is given. If your Supra would answer "6 Mega" and there isn't
as much room in the adress range it would receive a shut up and no memory
at all would be added. So it answers "4 Meg", enough place -> 4 Meg add.

Same for 2 Meg.

Also it is a little bit tricky to design a AutoConfig PAL that is capable
of base adress and size controling for 2, 4, 6 and 8 MBytes-ExpRam Pics.
Its easier to use two similar 2/4 MByte-AutoConfig PALs.
--
| Michael Goeckel      |                taigati@mgbo.toppoint.de              |
| ++49-2241/55919      |           Would you mind me kissing you?             |