[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Virus checkers

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (01/12/91)

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:

>I have VirusX4.0 on my system, which I always launch in my Startup-Sequence.
>So my question is, with all these other virus checkers, am I leaving  myself
>open for some virus?  Is there some (known) virii that VirusX doesn't get?

>Is there some other virus checker I should have?

>Dave Schaumann      | We've all got a mission in life, though we get into ruts;
>dave@cs.arizona.edu | some are the cogs on the wheels, others just plain nuts.
>						-Daffy Duck.

Well since Steve Tibbett hasn't updated virusx in a long time, yes you are very
succeptable (sp) to some of the new virus' that VirusX doesn't catch. And there
are several. You might want to think about getting 2 or 3 of the 'main' virus
programs for the Amiga. SOme that come to mind are NoVirus & ZeroVirus III.
Currently I'd say that NoVirus does the best job of checking for the new
virus'. If you keep current with these virus killers, then you have a good
chance of keeping current with all of the virus'. Since updates are never
regular, the more of these programs that you keep current on, the better chance
you have of being able to destroy the newest virus'...

	Tabor Wells
	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu

|------------------------------------| "Life. You're born. You live. You  |
|	Tabor Wells		     |   go on some diets. You die.       |
|	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu	     |	        			  |
|------------------------------------|		-Bloom County		  |			  |

mlelias@miavx0.ham.muohio.edu (Mike Elias (Mighty Amigo) Systems Analysis) (01/12/91)

In article <647@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
> I have VirusX4.0 on my system, which I always launch in my Startup-Sequence.
> So my question is, with all these other virus checkers, am I leaving  myself
> open for some virus?  Is there some (known) virii that VirusX doesn't get?
>
> Is there some other virus checker I should have?
>
> Dave Schaumann      | We've all got a mission in life, though we get into ruts;
> dave@cs.arizona.edu | some are the cogs on the wheels, others just plain nuts.
> 						-Daffy Duck.

	I use Zero_Virus.  Not only does it do the usual stuff, like check
disks and memory, but it has a 'brain file' (don't blame me, I didn't name it)
that can be updated whenever you find a new virus, or a different boot sector.
It can also save boot sectors to disk, generate a catalogue of saved sectors,
check files on disk, and a few other nice features.  Combined with VirusX, you
are about as save as you can get.  Also, to tie into the saving of sectors,
it can restore them from same said files.

This universe never did make sense. | Mike Elias (Mighty Amigo)
I think it was made on a government | Mlelias@Miavx1.Bitnet
contract...                         | Miami University of Oxford, Oh.
If you want My opinion, I thinKA-BLAMM!!....

d39142c@kaira.hut.fi (Sami "Suakki" Suokas) (01/15/91)

In article <647@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:

   So my question is, with all these other virus checkers, am I leaving  myself
   open for some virus?  Is there some (known) virii that VirusX doesn't get?

Yep!  VirusX (latest release to my knowledge is 4.01) doesn't
recognize all virii.

   Is there some other virus checker I should have?

Get Virus_Checker from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (or something like that) from
directory ....amiga/cucug/cucug03 or from ab20.larc.nasa.gov
/amiga/incoming (not sure about the exact address/directory on either
one, but they are somewhere out there...)

Sami Riku Wilhelm Suokas,         --EMail:                     /// C= Amiga
Keihastie 16 B                    --srs@niksula.hut.fi        /// the one
SF01280 VANTAA, Finland           --d39142c@kaira.hut.fi \\\ /// and only!
Puh-elin: +-358-0-305993          --ssuokas1@otax.hut.fi  \XXX/ -----------

SteveX@omx.UUCP (Steve Tibbett) (01/17/91)

>   So my question is, with all these other virus checkers, am I leaving  myself
>   open for some virus?  Is there some (known) virii that VirusX doesn't get?
>
>Yep!  VirusX (latest release to my knowledge is 4.01) doesn't
>recognize all virii.

No virus checker recognizes all of 'em.

>   Is there some other virus checker I should have?

The newest version of whatever one you trust.  Newest is the important
part.  (I will have another VirusX before too long.  4.01 doesn't
recognize everything out there, but it still finds all the most common
viruses.  The new version will know all viruses I have.)

--
   ...Steve Tibbett...bix=s.tibbett...Plink=STEVEX...BBS=613-731-3419...
              ...VirusX=4.01...Insert Disclaimer Here...