[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] VI on amiga

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) (01/18/91)

Just out of curiosity, with all this talk going on amount MEmacs, Gnu Emacs,
ed, and CED, I'm interested in finding out how many people out there are using
STEVIE (vi clone) on the Amiga.

To me, this is the best thing since sliced bread as it allows me to program
on both my A3000 and the SUN here with a minimum of the EW's  (editor
withdrawals)

Also, since it's available for the I*M, M*c and A*ari it allows a good
common editor.  I like this.

--
Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan18.053055.17420@cs.dal.ca> dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) writes:
>Just out of curiosity, with all this talk going on amount MEmacs, Gnu Emacs,
>ed, and CED, I'm interested in finding out how many people out there are using
>STEVIE (vi clone) on the Amiga.
>
>To me, this is the best thing since sliced bread as it allows me to program
>on both my A3000 and the SUN here with a minimum of the EW's  (editor
>withdrawals)
>
>Also, since it's available for the I*M, M*c and A*ari it allows a good
>common editor.  I like this.

i've got stevie 3.10a source, and have run it on the amiga, MS-DOS, VMS, and
iRMX.  on the last two, it frequently dies with various protection errors.
on ms-dos, it locks up frequently.  on the amiga it causes enforcer hits but
doesn't lock up as much as the others.  haven't tried to fix it.  is there
a newer, more improved stevie out there?  would be nice to be able to do
1,$s/xyz/pdq/g !

>Colin DeWolfe

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan18.053055.17420@cs.dal.ca> dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) writes:
>Just out of curiosity, with all this talk going on amount MEmacs, Gnu Emacs,
>ed, and CED, I'm interested in finding out how many people out there are using
>STEVIE (vi clone) on the Amiga.

I hate to admit it, but....  When I program, I use the "z" editor.
This is a clone of vi that comes with Manx's Aztec C.  Normal emacs
doesn't quite do it for me.  I'm so good at vi, it is the fastest for
me.  It took me about a year to learn it really well (on Unix).  I've
discovered that for some things, it is very quick, mostly because you
don't have to fumble for the control or alt or amiga keys.  Having two
modes is very counterintuitive, and I remember when I was learning
that I had a hard time with vi.  Now, though, I'm used to it.

If someone managed a complete, solid port of Gnu Emacs, I would
probably use that, if only for the indentation features.  It's nice
having all the different modes that you can load in.  Since I haven't
found this in the Amiga's MicroEmacs, I haven't used it much since I
got z.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

harris@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (01/23/91)

>Just out of curiosity, with all this talk going on amount MEmacs, Gnu Emacs,
>ed, and CED, I'm interested in finding out how many people out there are using
>STEVIE (vi clone) on the Amiga.

>To me, this is the best thing since sliced bread as it allows me to program
>on both my A3000 and the SUN here with a minimum of the EW's  (editor
>withdrawals)
I use stevie at the moment on the amiga, because I use all types of
unix machines at university and hate changing editors (it slows me
down).  BUT it is annoying enough (missing enough of the good stuff)
that I will drop it as soon as the ELVIS port for the amiga is out.  I
use elvis on the atari ST and under MINIX on the amiga, and have found
that it has nearly all of the features that I require in a vi clone.
Stevie is just not up to scratch, but it will do until elvis is
finished (Z [from MANX] just does not compete)

rik.
--
Rik Harris - rik@sola.fcit.monash.edu.au or harris@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
who died of administration on the 20th of December 1990