[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] ftp'ing by mail

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (01/25/91)

Okay, I behaved and checked the FAQ, that had a "3.4" area for description
of ftp'ing by mail.  And found that that section was empty.

So... could someone go ahead and re-post that info (or at least email it
to me), on how to do ftp via mail?  There's a dude in the USSR who wants
some Fish disks.  (BTW - yes, he apparently really is from there, for those
of you who've seen his posting but doubted his mail path.  Blame that "San
Franciso-Moscow Teleport" for obscuring the mailers, I guess...  He at least
definitely knows Russian and is familiar with daily-life stuff in Moscow.
Go figure.)

Thanks in advance.
--
Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga

terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) (01/25/91)

I am also very interested in knowing if it is possible to ftp by mail. Even if that sounds silly i am in desperate neet of one. The reason why is that some jerks at this university have found out that ftp and telnet will from now on not be permitted. (can you believe that ?...) . So ftping by mail would be of great help..

Thanks in advance.

______
nope..
______

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (01/26/91)

terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) writes:

>I am also very interested in knowing if it is possible to ftp by mail.

The FTP server at Princeton works very nicely...I use it several times
per week with no recent problems.  To get information, send a one line
mail message containing "SEND HELP" to
   BITFTP@PUCC.princeton.edu

You will need a version of UUDECODE as the server will send binary files
to you uu-encoded (and in several pieces if the files are large).

P.S...I don't know how well this works from outside the USA.

Steve Masters   stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL  32940
(407) 254 4122

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (01/28/91)

In article <509@hal.CSS.GOV> stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
>terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) writes:
>
>>I am also very interested in knowing if it is possible to ftp by mail.
>
>The FTP server at Princeton works very nicely...I use it several times
>per week with no recent problems.  To get information, send a one line
>mail message containing "SEND HELP" to
>   BITFTP@PUCC.princeton.edu
>
>You will need a version of UUDECODE as the server will send binary files
>to you uu-encoded (and in several pieces if the files are large).
>
>P.S...I don't know how well this works from outside the USA.

It works well, I'm using it, but I had problems in the beginning.

When the mail gets routed through different sites to your machine, a nasty
IBM EBCDIC machine (for example) may decide to change all ocurrences of "^"
to "~". Check for this and make a search-replace in your editor (this is
the most common character to be affected, but not the only possible). The
check is made easier by a line of characters presented in the beginning of
each mail. I checked this in the beginning, and when there never was any
problems with it, I stopped - and got bitten!

I also got several bad files due to a hardware problem at the site BITFTP
got the files from. I tried again later, and the files were OK since they
fixed the faulty card.

When a file comes in many parts it's always easy to make a mistake when
stripping of those mail headers and other junk. The BITFTP server at PUCC
doesn't use the "standardized" (joke) way of specifying the begin and end
cut lines, so my uudecode could't handle it. I then got another program -
uunconc, which allows you to uudecode without putting the files together
or doing any stripping in the files. Recommended!