[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] N.U.W.Q.

zz96sr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) (02/07/91)

     Here's my story......I've been a C64 user for about 7 years now.
I just "inherited" an Amiga 2000 with a 2090 hard drive controller,
20 meg ST-506 drive, broken bridgeboard and 20 meg hard card.  The
bridgeboard has a 5 1/4 drive on it.

     The WorkBench disk is kind of hozed--the original owner never made
a backup and used the original for daily use.  I'm searching for a virgin
copy at local dealers.

     I have a whole lot of questions!  I'll try to save bandwidth and
ask my first five:

     1.  I hear of talk about a C64 Emulator for the Amiga.  If there is
such an animal, what does one do about hooking up a 5 1/4 drive?

     2.  Is there documentation/help on what is on the WorkBench disk?
Something like what the "s", "c", "l", etc. directories are for.

     3.  What should or should not be in the startup-sequence file?

     4.  Does anybody have a layman's explanation of "assign"?

     5.  What can be safely eliminated from the WorkBench disk?

                                     Thanks

jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW) (02/07/91)

I would suggest getting a book called Amiga for Begginers by Abacus books.
It helps explain a lot of stuff about the Amiga.  I have had an Amiga for about
two years and still do not understand the startup sequence entirely.

As far as the workbench goes, you can get rid of some of the utilities.
For example, the clock, calculator, the editors and keymaps that you do
not use, etc.

I hope this helps a little bit.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

             _____
        /   /    /   /    /    /     /
       /   /    /   /___ /    / /   /               JROSNOW@UMNACVX
      /   /    /   /    /    /   / /
 ____/   /____/   /    /    /     /              JROSNOW@vx.acs.umn.edu

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

meranda@iguana.cis.ohio-state.edu (deron meranda) (02/08/91)

In article <16416@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> zz96sr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:
>     2.  Is there documentation/help on what is on the WorkBench disk?
>Something like what the "s", "c", "l", etc. directories are for.

Among the less obvious directories on a virgin WB, are:
   C      - Contains all the commands for the CLI or Shell
   Devs   - Contains various device drivers, i.e. printer
   Expansion - Contains descriptions of any extra hardware that is
               not automatically recognized by the computer
   Fonts  - Contains graphics bitmap data for text character sets
   L      - Contains system handlers - kind of like device drivers
   Libs   - Contains run-time sharable libraries
   S      - Contains script files (interpreted program in the 'CLI' language)
   T      - Used to hold temporary files

>     4.  Does anybody have a layman's explanation of "assign"?

Every disk volume has a name, as well as every device.  These names
usually look like  MyDisk:, RAM:, DF0:, etc.  However, it would be
nice to give names like these to just part of a disk, such as some
directory, rather than use an entire disk.  For example, if you had a
directory MyDisk:SomeDirectory/Manuals which contained other files,
you could refer to this directory as if it were its own disk by
using the command:
   Assign Manuals:  MyDisk:SomeDirectory/Manuals
Now you can refer to these files as Manuals:chapter1 rather than the
full name.  Also, if you every want to move this directory, say to a
hard disk, all you have to do is another Assign -- nothing else
needs changed :-)

>     5.  What can be safely eliminated from the WorkBench disk?

A good starting point is any files in the Utilities and System directories
(note, leave DiskCopy -- Workbench uses it).  Also, you can delete any
fonts that you don't need from the Fonts directory.  For each font with
name "xyz", there is a directory named "xyz" as well as a file "xyz.font".
( The default fonts are in ROM, so you really don't need any of these ).

You can also delete any unused device drivers that are in the directories
Devs/keymaps and Devs/Printers.  (They might have already moved most of the
printers onto the Extras disk).

There's a lot more that can be deleted, but it's best not to try it unless
you really know what you're doing.

Deron E. Meranda  ( meranda@cis.ohio-state.edu )

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (02/08/91)

zz96sr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:

>     Here's my story......I've been a C64 user for about 7 years now.
>I just "inherited" an Amiga 2000 with a 2090 hard drive controller,
Good for you ! :-)

>copy at local dealers.
Any dealer oughta have one. If they won't actually give you a disk, then
they could at least copy a virgin workbench disk onto you hosed disk.
You should also have an "extras" disk.

>     1.  I hear of talk about a C64 Emulator for the Amiga.  If there is
There are a couple of commercial ones. Iv'e never actually seen
one running, but Iv'e heard that they don't work very well - They run
BASIC, buts thats about it.

There is a publicly available one, available via FTP (I don't happen
to remeber WHERE however)

>     2.  Is there documentation/help on what is on the WorkBench disk?
>Something like what the "s", "c", "l", etc. directories are for.
Sorta - check the users manual. If you didn't get one, goto
a bookstore or an Amiga dealer, and look for beginners manuals.

>     3.  What should or should not be in the startup-sequence file?
The startup-sequence is whats it says - a list of things for the
computer to do when you turn it on, or reboot it. Usually, it
sets up things the way you like, mounts your harddisk (mount == makes
it available for you to use. This happens automatically to the
floppy drives and most harddrive controllers, but not the 2090)
Most beginnger can leave it alone.

>     4.  Does anybody have a layman's explanation of "assign"?
Assign gives a name (that you choose) to a file or device. Once
you "assign myname: something", then referencing myname: is
the same as referencing "something".
Its more complicated than that, but that is the basic idea.

>     5.  What can be safely eliminated from the WorkBench disk?
Anything you don't use :-)
What don't you use? Hmmm. Well, if you don't use a fancy wordprocessor
that lets you pick fonts, then you can delete the contents of
FONTS:. A few utility programs that you may not use, like SetMap, Clock
etc etc.
Since youv'e got a hard disk, one would think that you could
leave you workbench disk intack, and put all non workbench
software and files on the hard disk.