[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Recommended Colours for Amiga Workbench Display

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (02/08/91)

In article <03232.AA03232@gondor.actrix.gen.nz> chrisw@gondor.actrix.gen.nz (Chris Woodhouse) writes:

   Can anyone provide some guidelines or hints on the best colour
   combination for the Amiga display?  For example I note from the
   above article that blue is sensible to use as the full background
   colour. But what amount of blue? etc etc.

I've been futzing with color terminals for nearly a decade. My
experience has been that it depends on the viewer. Most people I know
who actually play with it settle down to a dark blue background with
light blue text. The colors depend on the person; the values to get
those colors depend on the monitor. Therefore, my telling you the
exact values I use won't do you any good, even though I tend to tweak
it for weeks after anything that changes the displayed colors, looking
for less eyestrain.

You might note that the faddish 3d look of the 2.0 WB depends on the
text color being darker than color 2 (0 -> background). This almost
requires a dark-on-light text scheme, which is _not_ easy on the eyes
(at least not on mine). So you have to choose between text that
doesn't strain your eyes, and pretty decorations.

	<mike

--
Tried to amend my carnivorous habits			Mike Meyer
Made it nearly seventy days				mwm@pa.dec.com

chrisw@gondor.actrix.gen.nz (Chris Woodhouse) (02/08/91)

I seek advice on the recommended combination of colours for
the Amiga Display to minimise eye fatigue when viewing text.
This question has been prompted for two reasons:
(1)  I now tend to read (and respond) to considerably more
News since the recent partitioning of the Amiga News Groups!
(2) An Article entitled "Physiological Principles for the
Effective Use of Color" by Gerald Murch Tektronix ,
Incorporated published in November 1984 Issue of IEEE Computer
Graphics and Applications gives a very interesting insight into
the use of Colour to maximise the potential of graphics systems.

Can anyone provide some guidelines or hints on the best colour
combination for the Amiga display?  For example I note from the
above article that blue is sensible to use as the full background
colour. But what amount of blue? etc etc.

Thanks for any help  ( yes and perhaps I DO need glasses!)

--

Chris Woodhouse, chrisw@gondor.actrix.gen.nz (Wellington, New Zealand)

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (02/08/91)

Anything but blue please.  The human eye is most sensitive to blue.
Use blue and yor eyes will get tired!  :)
--
John  M.  Adams   --***--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu     Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (02/09/91)

In article <26793@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>Anything but blue please.  The human eye is most sensitive to blue.
>Use blue and yor eyes will get tired!  :)

  The human eye is most sensitive to yellow (green+red).  It is the least
  sensitive to blue.  The eye has difficulty distinguishing between two
  colors that differ only by the presense or absense of blue.   For instance,
  try reading yellow text on a white background.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms