[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Seagate Seizures

huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) (02/08/91)

THis thread came up well over 6 months ago on the amiga groups, but those
were my pre-hard-drive-days and now it has become an issue:

What is the besy way of dealing with Seagate (non-Quantum) drives that
sieze up and refuse to beginning spinning when you turn them on?  I
started having this problem after I got in the habbit of parking the
drive heads whenever I shut down (and I got into that habbit after
a crash landing ruined some blocks).  Which is the lesser of two
evils: parking and siezing, or causing read/write errors?

Or perhaps there is no connection between parking heads and lockups.
It could be that the drive just decayed over time.

Anyone that followed that thread please post a synopsis.  I think it
would be valuable for c.s.a.intro since it seems everyone is adding
hard drives as of late.
--
| Robert E. Huebner                   | "Death is nature's way of telling  |
| huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu           |  you to slow down"                 |

akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Andy Klingler) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.180127.14970@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, Robert E. Huebner writes:

> What is the besy way of dealing with Seagate (non-Quantum) drives that
> sieze up and refuse to beginning spinning when you turn them on?

Well, the best way is to throw it out of the window and never buy a
Seagate drive again.
The second best thing: never switch your computer off (that`s what I do).

But since you already have the problem here is one of the old postings:
(Disclaimer: I never had to try this (knock on wood), so I don`t know
how well this works)
/-------------------------------------------------------------/
Subject: Re: Seagate fails on powerup
Date: 3 Aug 90 11:30:36 GMT

[...]
Well, I bought some wooden-stick Q-Tips and cut one of the "puffs" off.  I
used that raw piece of wood to stick between the circuit card and the HDA
(head-disk assembly) to spin the flywheel for the platter to the left (with
the PCB on top).

If you look between the PCB and HDA, you should see the edge of a silver disk.
That's the flywheel.  Use some sort of skinny object (the Q-Tip is perfect)
to rotate that thing to the left if the PCB is on top.  It'll break free.  You
can then apply power to the drive (you don't have to have the controller
hooked up) to verify you've freed the thing.

Alternately, you can unscrew the PCB, flip it back (be CAREFUL) and spin the
flywheel clockwise by hand.  Make sure that you rebend the static grounding
strap back so it's in contact with the spindle.

The pliers will work, but use needle nosed ones and put a layer of electrical
tape on each of the jaws so you don't score the spindle.  Another way of doing
it is to get a pencil with an eraser.  Put the pencil (eraser end down) on top
of the spindle (so that the pencil becomes an extension of the spindle) and
twist the pencil.

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."
---
Andreas Klingler
akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
         If you have enough patience, everything can be simulated
                               Marvin Minsky

ralph@atrp.mit.edu (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) (02/12/91)

I have a seagate 157N in my Amiga and it routinely seizes if I power down.
As a result I never shut my machine down. However if the power goes out
or I suspect it will I end up doing the following to get it spun up:

(Don't do this unless you know what you are doing and are very brave)

Take the covers off.
Leave the drive with it's power, but remove the control cable.
Remove the grounding brush on the spindle top by unsoldering it.
With everything checked for shorts and other metal to metal contact,power up.
Using a good pair of needle nose pliers, gently turn the spindle.
Now that it's working, shut down and re-assemble.
(I leave the grounding brush off)
(Now pray)

For me, that one hand spin makes the next poweru-p successful at restarting the
drive. Gee, I ought to install a hand crank on the front panel.

Stupid Seagate drive.
I wish they would address the problem and offer a fix....