[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Chip RAM and Fast RAM

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (01/23/91)

Something just occurred to me.

As most Amiga owners are aware, you can have two basic kinds of
memory on your Amiga -- fast ram and chip ram.

The older Amiga 500's can have 512K on the board, plus 512K of
expansion ram on an expander unit in the belly slot.

The expansion ram in the bottom is not accessible to the custom chips,
so you really can't call it chip ram.

This ram can not be accessed as quickly as expansion ram in the side
slot, so it's not really fast ram.

So what do you call it?

How about "half-fast ram?"

Sorry.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Ian ROWLANDS) (01/23/91)

In article <8221@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>Something just occurred to me.
>
>As most Amiga owners are aware, you can have two basic kinds of
>memory on your Amiga -- fast ram and chip ram.
>
>The older Amiga 500's can have 512K on the board, plus 512K of
>expansion ram on an expander unit in the belly slot.
>
>The expansion ram in the bottom is not accessible to the custom chips,
>so you really can't call it chip ram.

	Of course it depends whether you have the ECS Agnus, but I digress.

>This ram can not be accessed as quickly as expansion ram in the side
>slot, so it's not really fast ram.
>
>So what do you call it?
>
>How about "half-fast ram?"

	I believe it's known as 'slow-fast ram'. Basically it's just fast ram
that is slower than most fast ram. Personally, I call it a pain in the a*se!
Anyway, I believe the same thing occured on older 2000's as well (I have a
newer one, with all chip ram).

						Ian

P.S. I believe there is a monitor for this group - could he make himself known
     please?

Ian Rowlands                     | Uni : ianr@ee.mu.oz.au
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, |   OR ..!uunet!mullian.ee.mu.oz.au!ianr
 (including Computer Science)    | Home : ianr@gpark.pub.uu.oz.au
University of Melbourne          |   OR ..!uunet!gpark.pub.uu.oz.au!ianr

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (02/12/91)

In article <6509@munnari.oz.au> ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) writes:
>In article <8221@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>>This ram can not be accessed as quickly as expansion ram in the side
>>slot, so it's not really fast ram.
>>
>>So what do you call it?
>>
>>How about "half-fast ram?"
>
>	I believe it's known as 'slow-fast ram'.

It's a JOKE!  A JOKE!  FUNNY!  HA, HA!  I KNOW what Commodore
"officially calls it!  You are the ninety-seventh person to tell me
it's "slow-fast".  I KNEW THAT BEFORE!!!!  If you had looked at the
newsgroups: line, you would have seen that it was crossposted to
rec.humor!  AAAAAAGH!

>P.S. I believe there is a monitor for this group - could he make himself known
>     please?

There is.  He's Ferry de Jong (ferry@chorus.fr), and he's one cool
dude.  He also needs to put up the monthly postings, unless he's done
it very recently.