[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] FTP??

v118j3ml@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Michael J Slavis) (02/09/91)

Hey...I just recently started telecommunicating with my Amiga 2000, and I
keep hearing people talk about d/l-ing Fred Fish disks through a service
called FTP...now, I've talked to some consultants at my school (State
University of New York at Buffalo), and they told me that FTP stood for
FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL....well, this sounds like something that one could
use to d/l public domain software, but they were puzzled when I started to
tell them that the way I understood it, people logged into computers all
over the country, went into a certain directory, and proceeded to d/l whatever
they needed.  They told me that to access FTP, I type FTP [Hostname] at my
DCL prompt, and then I would have to have an account to log into the remote
system...well, I don't think that this is what everybody is talking about.
Can someone please help me on getting started with FTP???  I'm a quick
learner and I have a strong desire to figure this thing out...you can mail
directly to me, but I think posting on this board would be a better idea
because I know a lot of novices who would like to learn how to use this
service......Thank you very much,

        Mike Slavis   (V118J3ML@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu)

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (02/11/91)

In article <58829@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v118j3ml@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Michael J Slavis) writes:
>they needed.  They told me that to access FTP, I type FTP [Hostname] at my
>DCL prompt, and then I would have to have an account to log into the remote
>
>        Mike Slavis   (V118J3ML@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu)

Just as a follow up to the other replys . . .

DCL conveniently converts everything to upper case.  Many anonymous FTP sites
are run on Unix machines which are case sensitive.  You might have to include
the "anonymous" in quotes to make sure it goes in lower case.  Also, directory
and file names might have to be in quotes . . . you'll just have to experiment.
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \	SirOtto -- Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish
| \  | \  |   /		    table someplace in the West Panhandle of Florida.
|  \ |  \ |--<
|   \|   \|___\____/	Michael E. Cerrato -- University of Florida

Internet: sirotto%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
UUCP:	  ...!uunet!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!sirotto%maple.decnet

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (02/12/91)

In article <58829@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v118j3ml@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>a service
>called FTP...now, I've talked to some consultants at my school (State
>University of New York at Buffalo), and they told me that FTP stood for
>FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL....
>they needed.  They told me that to access FTP, I type FTP [Hostname] at my
>DCL prompt, and then I would have to have an account to log into the remote
>system.
>Can someone please help me on getting started with FTP???

Well, you have a VMS system, and I only know Unix, so I'm afraid
you're going to have to RTFM for the details here.  (Ask your
consultant if you aren't familiar with the RTFM system).

On Unix, ftp is a program (and a protocol) that lets your computer
connect to other computers.  You do indeed need an account on the
other computers to connect to them properly.  However, there are many
"Anonymous FTP" sites that wonderful people have set up with a special
account name called "anonymous", which will accept any password.  You
should generally type your user name for the password.  These systems
generally have an archive of files available for anyone who wants them.
A few have the Fred Fish disks.

To connect, you usually just type "ftp machine".  To give one
particularly popular example, type:

> ftp ab20.larc.nasa.gov

At this point, you will be asked for a user name.  You should type
"anonymous".  When you get asked for a password, you should type your
user name.  This makes sense.  You will then be logged on.

This sort of login is much more restricted than the normal login.
You can run programs as usual.  There are a few things you can do:

1. List the directory on the remote machine.  This is usually "ls"
   or "dir".

2. Change directories on the remote machine.  This is usually "cd" or
   "chdir".

3. Get a file from the remote machine.  This is usually done with
   "get" or "mget".  Note that if you are transferring a file that
   is not plain text, you should type the command "binary" before
   doing this.  "Get" will copy the file from the remote machine to
   the current directory on your machine.

4. Copy a file to the remote machine from the local machine.  This is
   usually "put", and is the opposite of "get".

Once you have done this, you will have files on your VMS or Unix (or
whatever) machine.  Since you want them on your Amiga, you still have
some work to do.

You will probably need to call the big machine via a modem with your
Amiga.  At this point, you can download the files using a protocol
such as kermit, zmodem, or such.  Note that if you use kermit, you may
need to "uuencode" the file before sending it.  This puts the file
into a text form.  Once you get it to the Amiga, you need to
"uudecode" it, which transforms it back to its original form.  There
are various programs that will do this for you.

Here's my (very informal) list of my favorite ftp sites.  There is a
more formal list posted regularly here by Michael Bergman
(d88-mbe@sm.luth.se).

128.8.10.14  Complete fish collection
128.174.5.59  mystery ftp site
ab20.larc.nasa.gov = 128.155.23.64
burdell.gatech.edu  usenet archives
uafcseg.uark.edu
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu fish disks
isca.icaen.uiowa.edu (128.255.19.175)  fish disks

Don't expect these all to work.  Have fun!

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (02/13/91)

In article <8355@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>At this point, you will be asked for a user name.  You should type
>"anonymous".  When you get asked for a password, you should type your
>user name.  This makes sense.  You will then be logged on.

I use FTP on VMS and have found that you have to type USER "<username>".  Since
VMS converts everything to uppercase, the username must be in quotes if it
contains any lowercase letters.  For example to log on to ab20.larc.nasa.gov:

USER "anonymous"

>This sort of login is much more restricted than the normal login.
>You can run programs as usual.  There are a few things you can do:
>
>2. Change directories on the remote machine.  This is usually "cd" or
>   "chdir".

Directory names containing lowercase letters or "/" must be enclosed in quotes
to keep them from being converted to uppercase.

>3. Get a file from the remote machine.  This is usually done with
>   "get" or "mget".  Note that if you are transferring a file that
>   is not plain text, you should type the command "binary" before
>   doing this.  "Get" will copy the file from the remote machine to
>   the current directory on your machine.

Filenames containing lowercase letters or "/" must be enclosed in
quotes.  The equivalent for the "binary" command is SET TYPE IMAGE.

>           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
>           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

FTP has a pretty comprehensive help file.  Just type HELP at the FTP> prompt.
If you are having problems, check the Hints topic (if there is one) under the
command you are trying to use.  I hope this is helpful . . .
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \	SirOtto -- Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish
| \  | \  |   /		    table someplace in the West Panhandle of Florida.
|  \ |  \ |--<
|   \|   \|___\____/	Michael E. Cerrato -- University of Florida

Internet: sirotto%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
UUCP:	  ...!uunet!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!sirotto%maple.decnet

u3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (02/13/91)

G'day,

MC> sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) writes:
DZ> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:

DZ> At this point, you will be asked for a user name.  You should type
DZ> "anonymous".  When you get asked for a password, you should type your
DZ> user name.  This makes sense.  You will then be logged on.

MC> I use FTP on VMS and have found that you have to type USER "<username>".
MC> Since VMS converts everything to uppercase, the username must be in quotes
MC> if it contains any lowercase letters.  For example to log on to
MC> ab20.larc.nasa.gov:
MC>
MC> USER "anonymous"

DZ>       Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
MC>       Michael E. Cerrato -- University of Florida

Sorry guys, but a (very) minor caveat.  The FTP s/w can itself parse lower
case text correctly if it is written to do so.  The sys admins at one site
I connect to have installed CMU {Carnegie Mellon Uni (sp?)} FTP which does
this for you if you have the correct revision (sorry, I don't know which).

I've found that much of the time, especially on ab20.larc.nasa.gov, that a
file with too many periods (for example) in the name gives the (receiving)
VAX FTP s/w a stomache ache.  The VAX FTP s/w tries to make a file of such
a name on the VAX (e.g. Yo.bro.read.this) and VAX VMS file system will not
allow files with more than 1 period in them to be created.

{ If you wish to obtain such a file, to a VAX, then the above advice re: }
{ using quotes is part of the answer, s.t to get the above example file  }
{                                                                        }
{ FTP> GET "Yo.bro.read.this" yobroread.this                             }
{                                                                        }
{ where for simplicity I haven't repeated advice on how to login via FTP }
{ or on how to specify if the file is a "binary" file (this may vary for }
{ different s/w versions of FTP, CMU FTP requires one to invoke the com- }
{ mand                                                                   }
{                                                                        }
{ FTP> set type image                                                    }
{                                                                        }
{ before getting a binary file *but* even this command can be varied for }
{ different types of binary d'loads (sorry for the extra confusion). :-( }

I'm sorry if this doesn't answer the original query, or for that matter if
what I've said has been covered already.  I simply wished to point out the
classic {by my definition:-)} problem to fall into trying to FTP (with VAX
s/w) from ab20 where the file names can be quite exotic {to a VAX :-)}.

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

PS::  lest I be misunderstood, the earlier advice by other posters is very
good.  With VAX VMS based FTP the hassles all depend on the FTP s/w.  This
site I am posting from has a very Unix like FTP (Multinet I think) that is
command (and behaviour) compatible with Unix FTP's I know.  You don't have
to worry about the VAX munging the chars into all upper case in general.

@utrcgw.utc.com:mark@ardnt1 (mark) (02/13/91)

on 12 Feb 91 16:45:16 GMT,
Mike Cerrato <@utrcgw.utc.com:sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.EDU> said:

    >> In article <8355@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>,
    >> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:

        > At this point, you will be asked for a user name.  You should type
        > "anonymous".  When you get asked for a password, you should type your
        > user name.  This makes sense.  You will then be logged on.

    >> I use FTP on VMS and have found that you have to type
    >> USER "<username>".  Since VMS converts everything to uppercase,
    >> the username must be in quotes if it contains any lowercase
    >> letters.  For example to log on to ab20.larc.nasa.gov:

    >> USER "anonymous"

This is not necessarily true.  We have the Wollongong WIN/TCP package
(I don't remember the version #) on our VMS (V4.6) system at work.

I have used FTP the following ways:

    from VMS to Unix
    from VMS to VMS    (just as a test, I normally use Decnet to transfer files)
    from Unix to VMS
    from Unix to Unix

and have never had to worry about the case of the username or filename.

        > This sort of login is much more restricted than the normal login.
        > You can run programs as usual.  There are a few things you can do:
        >
        > 2. Change directories on the remote machine.  This is usually "cd" or
        >    "chdir".

    >> Directory names containing lowercase letters or "/" must be enclosed
    >> in quotes to keep them from being converted to uppercase.

The only that I've had to watch for is that VMS doesn't like
filenames with more than one period in them.  You can "get" a file
that has more than one period and VMS will accept it.  It's just
that VMS will generate a "strange" name for that file.

It is generally best to give a name to VMS file when entering the
get command.  For example:

   get stuff.1.0.tar.Z  stuff-1-0-tar.z
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       remote filename  local filename

        > 3. Get a file from the remote machine.  This is usually done with
        >    "get" or "mget".  Note that if you are transferring a file that
        >    is not plain text, you should type the command "binary" before
        >    doing this.  "Get" will copy the file from the remote machine to
        >    the current directory on your machine.

    >> Filenames containing lowercase letters or "/" must be enclosed in
    >> quotes.  The equivalent for the "binary" command is SET TYPE IMAGE.

Our version doesn't recognize SET TYPE IMAGE it uses the "binary"
command.

        >            Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
        >            Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

    >> FTP has a pretty comprehensive help file.  Just type HELP at
    >> the FTP> prompt.  If you are having problems, check the Hints
    >> topic (if there is one) under the command you are trying to use.
    >> I hope this is helpful . . .

Yes, if all else fails, try HELP.  See the sample session below.

    >>            ___  __
    >> |\   |\   |    /  \  SirOtto--Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish
    >> | \  | \  |   /	    table someplace in the West Panhandle of Florida.
    >> |  \ |  \ |--<
    >> |   \|   \|___\____/ Michael E. Cerrato -- University of Florida

    >> Internet: sirotto%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
    >> UUCP:	  ...!uunet!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!sirotto%maple.decnet

I realize that there are several TCP/IP packages for VMS, and your's
may have the limitations that you described, but there are other versions
that do not have the same limitations.

I also realize that when we finally upgrade from VMS V4.6 and upgrade
our TCP/IP package accordingly, that I may also start enjoying some
of these "features".

Sample session that illustrates some of the above follows:

$ ftp ardnt1
 Connection Opened
 Using 8-bit bytes.
<ardnt1 FTP server (Version 4.160 Tue Nov 15 13:05:50 PST 1988) ready.
atsn FTP User Process (Version 3.00)
*
*
*user mark
<Password required for mark.
Password:
<User mark logged in.
*
*
*help
Commands:
abort           Terminate current operation
ascii           Set file transfer mode to ascii
bget            Retrieve a file in binary mode
bput            Send a file in binary mode
bell            Ring bell when file transfer completes
binary          Set file transfer mode to binary
bye             Close the connection and exit
case            Toggle mapping of local filenames to lower case
cd              Change current working directory on remote host
commandfile     Execute ftp commands from local file
delete          Delete a file on remote host
directory       Display contents of a directory in long form
disconnect      Close the connection
file            Set file transfer structure to FILE
get             Retrieve a file from remote host
hash            Print # for each packet sent or received
help            Display help messages for all ftp commands
interactive     Prompt with each filename for mget, mput and mdelete commands
lcd             Change current working directory on local host
login           Log into the remote system
ls              Display contents of a directory in short form

--hit return for next page--
mdelete         Delete a group of files from the remote host
mget            Retrieve a group of files from the remote host
mkdir           Make a directory on the remote host
mput            Transfer a group of local files to the remote host
nobell          Do not ring bell when file transfer completes
nohash          Do not print # for each packet sent or received
nointeractive   Turn prompting off for mget, mput and mdelete commands
open            Open a connection to a remote host
put             Transfer a file from local host to the remote host
pwd             Print remote host's current working directory
quiet           Do not display transfer statistics
quote           Send the specified string to the remote ftp server
record          Set file transfer structure to RECORD
remotehelp      Display list of FTP commands implemented by the server
rename          Rename a file on the remote host
rget            Retrieve a file with record structure from the remote host
rput            Transfer a file with record structure to the remote host
stat            Display contents of a directory in short form
show            Show current status
structure       Set file transfer structure
tenex           Set file transfer mode to tenex

--hit return for next page--
verbose         Display server replies and transfer statistics

Aliases:
cwd       => cd
end       => bye
list      => directory
mrm       => mdelete
mv        => rename
nlist     => ls
quit      => bye
retrieve  => get
rm        => delete
store     => put
username  => login
?         => help
exit      => bye
close     => disconnect
*
*
*cd src/X/xdesk
<CWD command successful.
*
*
*dir
<PORT command successful.
<Opening data connection for /bin/ls (ascii mode) (0 bytes).
<Transfer complete.
total 118
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero         137 Oct 31 14:00 Imakefile
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero         154 Oct 31 14:12 Makefile
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero         796 Oct 31 14:00 README.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero          80 Oct 31 14:00 cfg.examp.a
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero         268 Oct 31 14:00 cfg.examp.b
drwxrwxr-x   2 aero         352 Feb  8 09:01 icons
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero          21 Oct 31 14:00 patchlevel.h
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero        1964 Oct 31 14:00 xdesk.1.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero       23005 Oct 31 11:46 xdesk.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero        6256 Oct 31 14:00 xdesk.c.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero         134 Oct 31 14:00 xdesk.h.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 aero       22055 Oct 31 14:00 xdesk.shar.Z
672 bytes in 1 seconds--5376 bps
*
*
*set type image
Unknown Command
*
*
*binary
<Type set to I.
*
*
*get xdesk.c.Z
<PORT command successful.
<Opening data connection for xdesk.c.Z (ascii mode) (6256 bytes).
<Transfer complete.
6256 bytes in 1 seconds--50048 bps
*
*
*get xdesk.c.Z xdesk-c.Z
<PORT command successful.
<Opening data connection for xdesk.c.Z (ascii mode) (6256 bytes).
<Transfer complete.
3930 bytes in 1 seconds--31440 bps
*
*bye
exit
<Goodbye.

$ dir/date/size xdesk*

Directory $DISK2:[STUCKY]

XDESK-C.Z;1           10  13-FEB-1991 09:18
XDESK.C$5NZ;2         13  13-FEB-1991 09:18  <<< result of "get xdesk.c.Z"

Total of 2 files, 23 blocks.