[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] UUCP, Mail servers

gt0655b@prism.gatech.EDU (HAARBAUER) (02/05/91)

Could someone tell me breifly what AmigaUUCP is and what it can do for me?
And also, could someone direct me to where I can find info on mail servers?
My problem is that I'm about to transfer schools and thus likely lose
access to a UNIX host mainframe.  So I'd like to find out about echo mail,
how to use mail servers to replace ftp, keep access to newsgroups, etc.

-eh
--
HAARBAUER,ERIC STOWE                 "Consciousness is an accident."
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30655, Atlanta, GA  30332

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (02/06/91)

In article <21249@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0655b@prism.gatech.EDU (HAARBAUER) writes:
>Could someone tell me breifly what AmigaUUCP is and what it can do for me?

UUCP stands for "Unix to Unix copy".  It is a rusty, slow, old
procedure that Unix machines, many years ago, used to transfer files
back and forth.  For some reason, it is still widely used.  Now,
however, instead of simply copying files to another machine (which you
can still do), this system is used to transfer electronic mail and
Usenet messages.

There are a couple versions of UUCP for the Amiga.  There is at least
one version that you can get for free.  When you have UUCP installed
on your machine, it sits there on your machine (which should be left
turned on all the time) and waits for someone to call its modem.  If
you have an agreement with some other machine (probably a Unix machine
of some sort with good connections), you can send mail and Usenet news
between the two machines.  In other words, your machine can now get
mail and Usenet just like a major university machine.  Well, not JUST
like the university, but close enough.

The hard part is finding some system with good connections to give you
a feed.  If you can't find one, there is a system or two that you can
pay to give you a feed....  The other problem is that if you want a
complete feed of Usenet, you'll need a fast, expensive modem and lots
of disk space.  If you can convince your feed to send only the groups
you want, it works out better (this is one of the reasons for
splitting comp.sys.amiga into smaller groups).

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (02/15/91)

In article <8321@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>In article <21249@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0655b@prism.gatech.EDU (HAARBAUER) writes:
>>Could someone tell me breifly what AmigaUUCP is and what it can do for me?
>
>UUCP stands for "Unix to Unix copy".  It is a rusty, slow, old
>procedure that Unix machines, many years ago, used to transfer files
>back and forth.

Ahem.. I get greater than 10KBaud between my A2000 (straight standard
old processor) and the 386-clone-with-unix in my office.  That's
purty darn fast for over normal phone lines.

But then if you try comparing it with with speeds we get on our ethernet ...

(You didn't say what you were comparing against..)

>  For some reason, it is still widely used.

Must be because 1) comes free with many many machines, and 2) it still does
a very good job at what it was designed for;  file transfers and command
execution between intermittently connected systems.

The features which UUCP provides are:

	file transfer
	command execution, optionally in with an associated file transfer
	capable of supporting many different transfer protocols within
		the same program, in case you have more mediums around
		than modems.
	later versions have a very high degree of security and can give
		differing capabilities to different UUCP neighbors.
		That is, "later versions" of the Unix UUCP.

On top of this is built a worldwide electronic mail & conferencing
network, that was in existance long before FidoNet first barked.
Pretty darn good for a rusty old program, eh?

	David
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>