[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] No Fluff Magazine

bairds@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Shawn L. Baird) (02/15/91)

dredick@bbn.com (The Druid) writes:
>[...]
>So I was wondering -- is there any mags out there that have some MEAT
>programming and good "inside tips" like the "old time mags."

>I want programs and hardware mods!.. No Fluff...

Sigh. Unfortunately, the number one best Amiga programming magazine,
"Transactor for the Amiga" is no more. I have yet to see a non-fluffy type
magazine for the Amiga since then. My advice is to:

   a. Get back issues of "Transactor for the Amiga"
   b. Get the ROM Kernel Reference Manuals
   c. Ask questions here on usenet, 'cause you'll usually find someone
      who knows what they're doing or who can at least provide tips.
   d. Consider joing CATS (Commodore-Amiga Technical Support, I believe). I
      haven't done this, but I probably should.

>I subscribe to .INFO now, but it is too fluffy with reviews...

What we need is a few people who want to spend some of their free time
organizing a Usenet Amiga programming journal of some sort. However, I'm
afraid that it would take a lot of free time and interest.

| Shawn L. Baird                        | Or via US Snail:                  |
| bairds@eecs.ee.pdx.edu                | 17650 SE Cason Rd.                |
| ...uunet!tektronix!psueea!eecs!bairds | Gladstone, OR  97027              |

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/16/91)

In article <1621@pdxgate.UUCP> bairds@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Shawn L. Baird) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>Sigh. Unfortunately, the number one best Amiga programming magazine,
>"Transactor for the Amiga" is no more. I have yet to see a non-fluffy type
>magazine for the Amiga since then. My advice is to:
[more stuff deleted]

Both Amiga World and Amazing have been threatening to come out with
technical magazines "early in 1991."  Both magazines were supposed to
be for programmers, and with accompanying disks available.  Does anyone
know the status of these separate-but-possibly-equal projects?

--
 *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *

dredick@bbn.com (The Druid) (02/18/91)

Well, I have to thank everyone who answered my posting.

No, I haven't become a developer yet, I didn't realize that it was so
easy. Apple makes you do backflips for a chance.

I guess the only No Fluff mags out there are/or will be
AC Tech & AmigaWorld Tech. I have pick up a few back issues of the
Transactor from a local Amiga programmer. Great Mag, too bad it went under.

Thanks Again...

=    The Druid (dredick@bbn.com)                                              =
=                   "Did you ever feel that you were a typewriter,            =
=                    when everone else in the world was a wordprocessor"      =

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (02/20/91)

In article <1399@tronsbox.xei.com>, bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
> In article <1621@pdxgate.UUCP> bairds@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Shawn L. Baird) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
> >Sigh. Unfortunately, the number one best Amiga programming magazine,
> >"Transactor for the Amiga" is no more. I have yet to see a non-fluffy type
> >magazine for the Amiga since then. My advice is to:
> [more stuff deleted]
>
> Both Amiga World and Amazing have been threatening to come out with
> technical magazines "early in 1991."  Both magazines were supposed to
> be for programmers, and with accompanying disks available.  Does anyone
> know the status of these separate-but-possibly-equal projects?
>

> --
>  *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *

 Amazing Computing has already shipped the first issue of their Tech Mag.
One of my customers subscribed to it directly through Amazing. I think we
have gotten the first issue in the store now too.

Darrell Grainger