[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Full Screen Shell

jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW) (02/14/91)

I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
time.  Can this be done?  How?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

             _____
        /   /    /   /    /    /     /
       /   /    /   /___ /    / /   /               JROSNOW@UMNACVX
      /   /    /   /    /    /   / /
 ____/   /____/   /    /    /     /              JROSNOW@vx.acs.umn.edu

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

t22918@ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) (02/14/91)

jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW) writes:

>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>time.  Can this be done?  How?

Here's the line from my startup-sequence:

LoadWB delay
newshell newcon:0/10/580/190/CreeperDOS

This actually doesn't open up a full screen, but just enough so you can still
get at your WB disk icons, and still see the title bar.  For one that covers
the whole screen, use something like this:

newshell newcon:0/0/640/200/CreeperDOS

Where CreeperDOS is the name of the window.  The other params are pretty
obvious

--
Matt Ranney                     "There are a few occasions where you do
t22918@ursa.calvin.edu           need to use a 'GOTO'... but... well

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (02/14/91)

In article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu> jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu writes:
>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>time.  Can this be done?  How?

Sure can:

assuming 1.3:

	newshell newcon:0/0/640/400/Shell

will open up a 640 x 400 shell with its window title as "Shell" (no quotes).

				-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (02/14/91)

jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW) writes:

>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>time.  Can this be done?  How?

Yes, use the WINDOW option on NewShell. something like
    newshell window con:0/0/640/400/MyShellWindow

will do ya just fine

    -joe porkka

ps. (Watch out for the Net.Police!)
you may want to trim your .signature to be 2 to 3 lines max.

bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) (02/14/91)

From article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu>, by jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW):
> I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
> the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
> time.  Can this be done?  How?

If you open the shell by clicking on the Shell icon, you may need to filezap
the cli program in c: to change the settings... Look for a line in the ascii
that looks like this
           newcon:/0/50/100/640/AmigaShell
(I'm not really sure about those numbers though).  Change the numbers to read
0/0/200/640.  You may be to set these in the Info window using the parameters
there (keys?), I'm not because I'm a shell kinda guy :\

--
Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa
bheil@scout-po.biz.uiowa.edu         (      College of Business Administration

In article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu> jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu writes:
>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>time.  Can this be done?  How?

Should be explained in your manual at the NewShell command.
Click once on the Shell icon, call the "Info" menu item ("Information"
for OS 2.0) and add a Tool Type line:
WINDOW=newcon:0/0/640/200/MyShell       (for 1.3)
WINDOW=con:0/0/640/200/MyShell/CLOSE    (for 2.0)
The CLOSE option for 2.0 gives you the Shell window with a close gadget.
Eventually you must choose smaller coordinates (those 640 and 200), if
the border is counted with them, you may experiment a bit with these
values.

In article <t22918.666484382@ursa> t22918@ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) writes:
>jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW) writes:
>
>>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>>time.  Can this be done?  How?
>
>Here's the line from my startup-sequence:
>
>LoadWB delay
>newshell newcon:0/10/580/190/CreeperDOS
>
>This actually doesn't open up a full screen, but just enough so you can still
>get at your WB disk icons, and still see the title bar.  For one that covers
>the whole screen, use something like this:

Exactly (nearly: 570 instead of 580 plus more height because of PAL)
what I use under 1.3. You have access to the disk icons and see the
title bar with the memory display.

Recommended.

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Ian ROWLANDS) (02/14/91)

In article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu> jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu writes:
>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>time.  Can this be done?  How?

	I believe there are ways to do it, but I use a different technique to
those mentioned. I use a program called Climax. It opens a shell/cli on a
seperate screen, to a full 80x25 display (more on a PAL system). I like the
fact it is on a seperate screen, so you can display icons on the Workbench
screen and still have access to a full screen CLI.
	This program is available on a Fish disk, somewhere between 420 and
430. Get it!

					Ian

Ian Rowlands                     | Uni : ianr@ee.mu.oz.au
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, |   OR ..!uunet!mullian.ee.mu.oz.au!ianr
 (including Computer Science)    | Home : ianr@gpark.pub.uu.oz.au
University of Melbourne          |   OR ..!uunet!gpark.pub.uu.oz.au!ianr

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (02/14/91)

In article <4408@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) writes:
>From article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu>, by jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW):
>If you open the shell by clicking on the Shell icon, you may need to filezap
>the cli program in c: to change the settings... Look for a line in the ascii
>that looks like this
>           newcon:/0/50/100/640/AmigaShell
>(I'm not really sure about those numbers though).  Change the numbers to read
>0/0/200/640.  You may be to set these in the Info window using the parameters
>there (keys?), I'm not because I'm a shell kinda guy :\

Well, actually, you would probably just use Workbench INFO, and change
the WINDOW= tooltype of the shell icon, rather than filezapping the CLI program.

Something like:

WINDOW=NEWCON:0/0/640/200/AmigaShell

would work nicely.

>Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa
		andy

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"God was able to create the world in only seven days because there
 was no installed base to consider."

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (02/15/91)

>In article <4408@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) writes:
>From article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu>, by jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW):
>> I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>> the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>> time.  Can this be done?  How?
>
>If you open the shell by clicking on the Shell icon, you may need to filezap
>the cli program in c: to change the settings... Look for a line in the ascii
>that looks like this
>           newcon:/0/50/100/640/AmigaShell
>(I'm not really sure about those numbers though).  Change the numbers to read
>0/0/200/640.  You may be to set these in the Info window using the parameters
>there (keys?), I'm not because I'm a shell kinda guy :\
>
>--
>Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa

If you select the shell icon and then pick the INFO menu item you can
set the size of the shell window (or the cli window for that matter) by
putting an entry in the TOOL TYPES field.  Add something like the following
to the TOOL TYPES:

	WINDOW=NEWCON:0/1/640/100/AmigaShell

The first two numbers are the x y position of the top left corner and the
next two numbers are the width and height of the window.

You may also use the STACK=40000 or however big you want the stack to be
for your shell windows.

So there is no reason to filezap this stuff on the Amiga, you can
configure it how you want through normal methods.

--
          _
    ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!bilver!amigash!scot

Walt@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Walt Sullivan) (02/16/91)

>In article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu> jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW) writes:
>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>time.  Can this be done?  How?

Your signature is too big - it almost convinced me not to respond. Please
consider shrinking it.

I open my CLI windows (I'm using ARP's AShell) with:

    AShell "CON:0/0/640/400/AShell_for_Walt"

in my s:Shell-Boot (called from s:Startup-Sequence). If you want to change
the size of the CLI started by clicking the icon, try adding
"WINDOW=CON:0/0/640/400/CLI" to the tooltypes (select the icon, then
choose "info" from the workbench menu). I haven't tried it, but
sys:system/CLI contains the following strings:

execute s:Shell-Startup
WINDOW
STACK
NEWCON:0/50/640/80/AmigaShell
CON:0/50/640/80/New Cli Window
s:Shell-Startup
s:CLI-Startup

I hope this helps.

--

    Walt Sullivan           walt@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca
                            Fido 1:163/109.4

bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) (02/16/91)

Tool Types... thats what I was looking for.  Didn't mean to cause any undo
stress in suggesting filezap!  Like I said I'm a CLI kinda guy (well okay
SKsh), I don't use WorkBench very much.  I will say that I would if I had 2.0
though.  Looks great.

Was the option to change window through Tool Types always there?  If I remember
correctly the info window changed in V1.2, was it in there at that time?
--

vfg2@phx.mcd.mot.com (02/16/91)

In article <18942@cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) writes:

>assuming 1.3:
>
>	newshell newcon:0/0/640/400/Shell
>
>will open up a 640 x 400 shell with its window title as "Shell" (no quotes).

Mind if I butt in? :-)

What about 2.0? My 3000 doesn't recognize newcon:.
Should it? If I open a shell with con: it has no close gadget!

Thanks for any help!

                  Dan Quella, vfg2@phx.mcd.mot.com
     Somehow, someday, we need Just One Victory, and we're on our way
____________________________________________________________ - Rundgren ___

t22918@ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) (02/16/91)

vfg2@phx.mcd.mot.com writes:

>>assuming 1.3:
>>
>>	newshell newcon:0/0/640/400/Shell
>>
>>will open up a 640 x 400 shell with its window title as "Shell" (no quotes).
>>

>Mind if I butt in? :-)

>What about 2.0? My 3000 doesn't recognize newcon:.
>Should it? If I open a shell with con: it has no close gadget!

I don't have 2.0 myself, but in 1.3 there is no close gadget on the
shell window either.  If you want to kill it you have issue an endcli
command.
--

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (02/16/91)

In article <14578@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, vfg2@phx.mcd.mot.com writes:

> In article <18942@cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) writes:
> >
> >assuming 1.3:
> >
> >	newshell newcon:0/0/640/400/Shell
> >
> >will open up a 640 x 400 shell with its window title as "Shell" (no quotes).
> >

> Mind if I butt in? :-)
>
> What about 2.0? My 3000 doesn't recognize newcon:.
> Should it? If I open a shell with con: it has no close gadget!

I think you need to add a /close to the end of the string. Don't know if this
works, and not currently prepared to find out. :-)

>                   Dan Quella, vfg2@phx.mcd.mot.com

Dac
--
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  Send mail to dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au                . .  I am.

In article <14578@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> vfg2@phx.mcd.mot.com writes:

>>	newshell newcon:0/0/640/400/Shell
>>
>>will open up a 640 x 400 shell with its window title as "Shell" (no quotes).
>
>What about 2.0? My 3000 doesn't recognize newcon:.

newcon: is indeed gone. You have all you want in con:

>Should it? If I open a shell with con: it has no close gadget!

Try .../400/Shell/CLOSE

mark@tc.fluke.COM (Mark D. Nagel) (02/19/91)

In <899@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>In article <14578@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> vfg2@phx.mcd.mot.com writes:
>>>
>>>	newshell newcon:0/0/640/400/Shell
>>>
>>>will open up a 640 x 400 shell with its window title as "Shell" (no quotes).
>>
>>What about 2.0? My 3000 doesn't recognize newcon:.

>newcon: is indeed gone. You have all you want in con:

>>Should it? If I open a shell with con: it has no close gadget!

>Try .../400/Shell/CLOSE

>--

I am able to run 'Newshell=con:0/0/640/400/SHELL/CLOSE' and get the desired
results, (YES, "CLOSE" does indeed give you a close gadget :-)) but how can
I get the system shell (via the icon) to do this?

		Is it IBM compatiable? NO - ARE YOU?
 - FUSION - FUSION - FUSION -FUSION -FUSION -FUSION -FUSION -FUSION -FUSION -
    Domain: mark@tc.fluke.COM (Mark Nagel) Voice: +1 206 356 5098
      UUCP: microsoft!fluke!mark or sun!fluke!mark
     Snail: John Fluke Mfg. Co. / P.O. Box C9090 / Everett WA  98206

lkollar@tridom.uucp (Larry Kollar (Operations)) (02/19/91)

In article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu> jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu writes:
>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>time.  Can this be done?  How?

Several people have pointed out the "con:0/0/640/200/Title" thing.  I once
wrote a little program that would get the actual Workbench screen size &
return it as "640/200" or whatever.  Handy if you use ARP Shell, SKsh, or
another shell that supports "embedded" commands.  For example, the opening
line would be:

	> newshell con:0/0/$(screensize)/Title

The shell runs "screensize," then inserts the output in the command line
before executing the command.  This is nice for people who pass scripts
around, or for 2.0 users who can change screen size on the fly (I'm sure
*someone* will correct me if I'm wrong about that :-).

The code is very trivial; I could post it to c.b.a if anyone is interested.

--
Larry Kollar	...!emory!tridom!lkollar / lkollar@tridom.uucp

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.143219.15684@tridom.uucp> lkollar@tridom.UUCP (Larry Kollar (Operations)) writes:
>In article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu> jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu writes:
>>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>>time.  Can this be done?  How?
>
>Several people have pointed out the "con:0/0/640/200/Title" thing.  I once
>wrote a little program that would get the actual Workbench screen size &
>return it as "640/200" or whatever.  Handy if you use ARP Shell, SKsh, or
>another shell that supports "embedded" commands.  For example, the opening
>line would be:
>
>	> newshell con:0/0/$(screensize)/Title
>
>The shell runs "screensize," then inserts the output in the command line

Under 2.02 Shell you can use the backticks, ie

newshell "con:0/0/`screensize`/title"

and the screensize program will execute and output gets added to
the command line.

Also, the 2.02 con-handler does a max operation on your window
parameters, so

 con://2000/2000/Title

will generally give you a full screen window under 2.0; unless
you are using an unusual monitor.

You can even (by copying the shell project icon and adding the
WINDOW= tooltype) make shell window icons for all occasions.

rmm20@ccc.amdahl.com (Robert Mitchell) (02/22/91)

In article <Walt.2754@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca> Walt@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Walt Sullivan) writes:
>>In article <3265@ux.acs.umn.edu> jrosnow@vx.acs.umn.edu (JOHN ROSNOW) writes:
>>I was wondering how to have the shell open up so that it is the full size of
>>the screen rather than opening it up and then having to resize it all of the
>>time.  Can this be done?  How?
>
>Your signature is too big - it almost convinced me not to respond. Please
>consider shrinking it.
>
>I open my CLI windows (I'm using ARP's AShell) with:
>
>    AShell "CON:0/0/640/400/AShell_for_Walt"

Just a little note: when I purchased my 2320, I immediately
switched over to interlaced 640/400 (Great job Scott!).
I ran happily until I needed to use my bridgeboard,
and discovered that Janus croaks badly on an interlaced screen.
I switched my profile back to non-interlaced and rebooted.
I was VERY chagrined to discover that my shell would not open
(not 400 lines), and workbench would not load because of the
prior failure.  Can you say "No way to get there from here"?
Moral: keep a maintenance floppy around to service your hard disk
files.  And consider keeping your startup general enough to
work on a non-interlaced window.
 - Robert Mitchell
--
UUCP:  rmm20@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
DDD:   408-746-8491

burton@latcs1.oz.au (J Anteloupas D. Bronzo.) (02/22/91)

In <899@cbmger.UUCP>,
	I could have sworn peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) managed to say:
+In article <14578@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> vfg2@phx.mcd.mot.com writes:
+>>
+>>	newshell newcon:0/0/640/400/Shell
+>>
+>>will open up a 640 x 400 shell with its window title as "Shell" (no quotes).
+>
+>What about 2.0? My 3000 doesn't recognize newcon:.
+
+newcon: is indeed gone. You have all you want in con:
+
+>Should it? If I open a shell with con: it has no close gadget!
+
+Try .../400/Shell/CLOSE
+
+--
+Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
+Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

Since this is now a major discussion here's my bit...

	I use a little utility that I picked up from a BBS called FullWindow.
it seems to do something like poke new values into the window definition
structure and then refresh the window. This will cause the window fill the entire
workbench screen...
BIG DEAL, SO WHAT,

why do I bother

			James Burton.