[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] set filec for the Amiga?

t22918@ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) (02/20/91)

Is there any equivalent to the Unix feature: filec (file completion)
on the Amiga?  If you don't know what that does, it lets you avoid
having to finsh typing large file names.  You just type enough
characters to make it unique, hit escape, and bammo, your filename
gets completed.  If there isn't a unique file, it completes as manny
characters as it can.

--
Matt Ranney                mranney@wybbs.mi.org
t22918@ursa.calvin.edu     mranney@mole.ai.mit.edu (or any other FSF machine)

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/20/91)

In article <t22918.666994683@ursa> t22918@ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) writes:
>Is there any equivalent to the Unix feature: filec (file completion)
>on the Amiga?  [...]

This is really a feature of the shell you are using.  I believe SKsh provides
this feature.

>Matt Ranney                mranney@wybbs.mi.org
>t22918@ursa.calvin.edu     mranney@mole.ai.mit.edu (or any other FSF machine)

--
Dave Schaumann      | Is this question undecidable?
dave@cs.arizona.edu |

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (02/20/91)

WShell v1.2 and beyond has a nice file completer.
I have used the WShell for a few years, highly recommended (Commercial, $30-35).

sksh v1.x (5-6 I would guess...) has a file completer I believe.
I have never used it (Copywritten Freeware, Free).
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster *would not* be made to directly support the
  Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' -A scene at the

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (02/21/91)

In article <t22918.666994683@ursa> t22918@ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) writes:
>Is there any equivalent to the Unix feature: filec (file completion)
>on the Amiga?

This is available with William Hawes' WShell.  It's not a built-in, but a
separate utility called "FComp".  Since it's not built in I suspect it might
work with other shells as well, but don't hold me to that.  I don't know if
it's freely distributable.  Some things on that disk are (ConMan), some
aren't (WShell itself).

BTW, my congratulations to Bill Hawes!  He's done some fine work here!  I
installed WShell about two weeks ago and love it.  WShell, ARexx, ConMan, and
FComp are all truly wonderful programs.  My li'l ol' 500 is so hacked up now
it thinks it's a Sun.  PopUpMenu for Sun-style menus, Snap for Sun-style
cut'n'paste, directory name in the shell's namestripe courtesy of WShell,
filename completion via FComp...  If I could only get a large hi-res monitor
(for cheap) I'd be truly happy.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
Damn the expletives, full speed ahead!             |        Steven King
                                                   |     Motorola Cellular
                                  (Bob deBeaubien) |   ...uunet!motcid!king

drool@bisco.kodak.COM (Drool Rockworm) (02/21/91)

Matt Ranney mranney@wybbs.mi.org asks:

> Is there any equivalent to the Unix feature: filec (file completion)
> on the Amiga?  If you don't know what that does, it lets you avoid
> having to finsh typing large file names.  You just type enough
> characters to make it unique, hit escape, and bammo, your filename
> gets completed.  If there isn't a unique file, it completes as manny
> characters as it can.

Matt, the shell "sksh" is available for the Amiga and is a unix ksh
lookalike.  The file completion however, acts pretty much like it does in
csh.  It should be available on your favorite ftp site, or a local BBS.

NOTE: Please IGNORE the return address on this message if it says
nobody@kodak.com.  Use one of the return addresses specified below.

										<: Drool :>

UUCP:	kodak!bisco!retreat!drool
ARPA:	retreat!drool@bisco.kodak.com

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (02/21/91)

In article <4728@orchid3.UUCP> king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes:

>This is available with William Hawes' WShell.  It's not a built-in, but a
>separate utility called "FComp".  Since it's not built in I suspect it might
>work with other shells as well, but don't hold me to that.  I don't know if
>it's freely distributable.  Some things on that disk are (ConMan), some
>aren't (WShell itself).

FComp is not freely distributable.  ConMan is the only freely distributable
package on the WShell disk.

>BTW, my congratulations to Bill Hawes!  He's done some fine work here!  I
>installed WShell about two weeks ago and love it.  WShell, ARexx, ConMan, and
>FComp are all truly wonderful programs.  My li'l ol' 500 is so hacked up now
>it thinks it's a Sun.  PopUpMenu for Sun-style menus, Snap for Sun-style
>cut'n'paste, directory name in the shell's namestripe courtesy of WShell,
>filename completion via FComp...  If I could only get a large hi-res monitor
>(for cheap) I'd be truly happy.

I've had WShell, ARexx, and ConMan for about two years now.  How
have you lived without it?  If you use the CLI, this stuff is
indispensable...  Best way to spend 60-75 AmigaBucks.

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster *would not* be made to directly support the
  Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' -A scene at the
  recent MacExpo.  Gee, you wouldn't think that an Apple Exec would be so
  worried about one little Amiga Device... Loren J. Rittle  l-rittle@uiuc.edu

greendog@max (Michael D Fischer) (02/21/91)

Well, Steve Koren's unix-like ksh (k-shell) supports filename
completion as well as LOTS of other great unix shell features.
I would get it immediately.

Mike
-        Michael D. Fischer       |   greendog@max.physics.sunysb.edu   -
-      S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook    |   Michael.Fischer@sunysb.edu        -

vesty@inmet.inmet.com (02/22/91)

There are several pd and commercial shells with file name completion.

I use SKSH found on ab20.larc.nasa.gov  (128.155.23.64), which has all sorts
of options and filters to speed up the process.  I believe that WSHELL
(commercial product) also has file name completion.

-- Matt