[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Setting up the Workbench screen on 2.0

In article <1991Feb26.135040.12862@cbnewsk.att.com> paulb@cbnewsk.att.com (paul.l.bidwell) writes:
>I'm in the process of trying to set up my workbench screen on 2.0. I would
>like my workbench to have certain programs loaded and located on a particular
>part of the screen (similar to what I do on my X terminal).
>
>I've dragged icons in the WBstartup drawer (e.g. clock, Blanker). What I've
>noticed though is that the programs always start up in the same fashion.

Yes, this is the purpose of the WBstartup drawer. If you only want the
icons appear on the screen at first blink, then drag them back to their
original position, click once on them, and choose "Leave Out" from the
"Icons" menu. Then they will apppear in the Workbench window. To arrange
them at places where you like them, use the "Snapshot" option in the
"Window" menu.
(BTW: RTFM, it's all explained there, really!)

In article <1991Feb26.151406.16389@ncsu.edu> harris@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) writes:
>You can prevent the hide screen by selecting the blanker icon, then select the
>Icons... Information... menu.  Click the "New" button to add the following
>tooltype: "CX_POPUP=NO"  After you type it, press then Enter key, then click
>the Save button.
>
>You can find out all kinds of nifty things if you load the program into a hex
>editor and search for the block where most all the constant strings are kept.

At least with the latest manual revision you don't need such hacks,
just RTFM, it's in there!

phils@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Philip E Staub) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.151406.16389@ncsu.edu> harris@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) writes:
>You can prevent the hide screen by selecting the blanker icon, then select the
>Icons... Information... menu.  Click the "New" button to add the following
>tooltype: "CX_POPUP=NO"  After you type it, press then Enter key, then click
>the Save button.
>
>You can find out all kinds of nifty things if you load the program into a hex
>editor and search for the block where most all the constant strings are kept.

This is one of my biggest peeves about the 'Tool Types' approach to passing
parameters to programs. I often don't have the documentation handy for
programs with icons, and without it, you can *never* tell what tool types
are supported. Even if you do know what is supported, you often have to
leaf through poorly indexed documentation to find the exact syntax for the
string. Things are grim when you have to do a file dump to find strings
which *might* be tool types.

The beauty of a command line interface is that you can often (granted, not
always) just type the command name with a question mark to see what options
are supported. If this doesn't work, may programs allow you to type the name
of the program with no parameters or with a "help" parameter to get a
listing of everything that's supported.

Suggestion: how about a rotary gadget in the Information window which
cycles through a list of templates for each tool type. The template could
pop up in the editing area so that when you've found the one you want, you
edit it to contain the values you're interested in, hit return, and it gets
added to the Tool Types list, replacing any previously existing entry of
that type. The major impact here (as I see it, maybe a killer) is that it
would require development of a common way of letting the Information menu
item know what are the supported Tool Types.

Disclaimer:
Maybe my ignorance of Workbench usage is showing here: Until 2.0, I almost
*never* used Workbench at all. Maybe there is some way to do something
similar to this already. If so, I'm perfectly willing to be corrected.

> __   _ ___ ___   Michael Harris - harris@catt.ncsu.edu      //        _
>|    / \  | |    Computer and Technologies Theme Program    // /||\/||/ _ /|
>|__ / /_\ | |        North Carolina State University      \X/ /-||  ||\_|/-|

Phil Staub, phils@mozart.PEN.TEK.COM
Definition: BUG: A feature (present or absent) which is (at best) inconvenient.