[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Need help with unix ftp to amiga

kevinf@sequent.UUCP (Kevin Fultz) (02/23/91)

Ok, here's my problem. I use bitftp from the princeton site, select BINARY
and GET a file called xxx.lzh. I then cat the pieces and remove the headers.
Next I run uudecode on a unix system on the file. I get the file I want, but
how do I download this to my amiga at home?

I have an amiga and a Telebit T1000 modem that I use to dial onto the unix
system at work. I am using AmigaTerm as my terminal emulator. I have used this
set up to download text files (turn on buffer, cat file, turn off buffer).
This doesn't work for binary. Is there some way to download these xxx.lzh
files using my set up, or do I need a program to uudecode the files on my
amiga? And if so, where can I get it (without downloading a binary).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Fultz
UUCP: kevinf@crg1.sequent.com

meranda@frankenstein.cis.ohio-state.edu (deron meranda) (02/28/91)

In article <8424@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
> You need a terminal program that can support an error-free transfer.
> If you have a real live 8-bit connection between the work system and
> your Amiga, you should use an 8-bit protocol for the transfer.  If you
> can get it, Z-modem is probably the best one, although X-modem is more
> common.

I'm not sure about other systems, but on our UNIX system, the Z-modem
programs are sz(1) and rz(1), in case you can't find it.

> ... some terminal program like VLT, A-Talk III, or one of
> many others that does.  You can get one of these (numerous) terminal
> programs by either copying it off of a Fred Fish disk, or (gasp!)
> going to the store and buying one.

Does anybody know of any PD terminal programs that support Z-Modem?
I have been using vt100 (on comp.sources/binaries.amiga) and it
supports Kermit well!  It would be nice if it could also support
Z-Modem.  Has anybody seen source to this protocol, or any term
programs that use it?  - Thanks.

> If you have only a 7-bit connection, you will need to do something
> different.  This usually happens because there is a seven-bit link in
> the network between the unix computer and its modem.  In this case you
> should use a protocol called "kermit".

One important note, if you are sending binary files via kermit, you may
need to give the command "SET FILE TYPE BINARY" to kermit before the
SEND or RECEIVE command.  (Also, if using vt100, select the "Image" menu
item, rather than "Text").

Deron E. Meranda  ( meranda@cis.ohio-state.edu )