[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] A1000 SCSI cards?

ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) (03/12/91)

I know that this may be difficult to answer, but here goes.

I have an Amiga 1000, and would like to get a hard drive for it--I know that
it would be better to just save and get a 2000, but I've already invested
a great deal of money in memory, etc., and I get a LOT of use from this system.
I have the opportunity to purchase a cheap 60MB hard-drive, which is
"designed for use with a Macintosh".  It has a SCSI cable (external drive),
but I don't want to buy it & end up with a $400 paperweight.  Can a "mac"
Harddrive be used on an Amiga1000?

My second question is this:  Anyone have a SCSI card for an old 1000 which they
need to sell?  Any ideas where I might still get one--other than from CBM? Any
help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!  Also, am I correct in my
assumption that SCSI cards for the 1000 plug into the right-side bus slot on
the Amiga?  (Gosh I hope so, since the interior of the case is already crammed
with stuff I keep adding on....)

Thanks to all in advance!!

kevin@modcomp.uucp (Kevin Smith) (03/12/91)

ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) writes:

>My second question is this:  Anyone have a SCSI card for an old 1000 which they
>need to sell?  Any ideas where I might still get one--other than from CBM? Any
>help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!  Also, am I correct in my
>assumption that SCSI cards for the 1000 plug into the right-side bus slot on
>the Amiga?  (Gosh I hope so, since the interior of the case is already crammed
>with stuff I keep adding on....)

Try Xetec, 1-800-445-0611, they have a SCSI interface called the SA-10
host adapter for the 1000 which plugs into the right side bus (expansion)
slot.  It also comes with the necessary cabling to hook up with a MAC type
drive.  I just bought this myself and am happy with the set up so far.  I
had to call them for some assistance in the setup and found their technical
people very helpful.  Price for the adapter is $175 dollars.  It also has
the capability to add on more RAM if you buy there card (about $80 with
no memory).  You can buy your own RAM chips or theirs.  I haven't bought
this yet but am thinking about it.  The interface has a pass thru so
if you have a memory board or something else attached you could attach
it to the right side of the interface.

One word of caution, when I talked to a sales manager at Xetec he did
say the interface has had some problems in combination with other add-ons
that may be on your system and they do not readily accept hardware returns
which I thought was a crock but I took my chances anyway.  I happen to have
the AC internal memory hack and the drive and interface work fine.  Xetec
has been around for quite a while and the interface is supposed to be one
of the faster ones around.  It was also the cheaper of SCSI interfaces that
I could find for the 1000.  Supra has one too but you can't add on memory
to the interface.  Hope I was of some help, email me for more specifics.

Kevin Smith uunet!modcomp!glsdev!kevin