[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] MSH and mountlists

spice@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (03/14/91)

I'm a new Amiga owner and am having trouble getting the shareware program
MSH to work on my A3000 under AmigaDos 1.3. I moved the files
MessyFileSystem to my L: directory and the file messydisk.device to
my devs: directory as is shown in the sample mountlist given in the
MSH archive. My mountlist entry for MSH: is as follows

MSH:  FileSystem = l:MessyFileSystem
      Device = devs:messydisk.device
      Unit = 0
      Flags = 0
      LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
      Surfaces = 2
      BlocksPerTrack = 9
      Buffers = 5
      BufMemType = 1
      BootPri = 0
      Stacksize = 4096
      Priority = 5
      GlobVec = - 1

The only values changed from the sample mountlist in MSH are
the value for Unit which I changed from 1 to 0 since I only have one
floppy drive. I also changed the pathname for the FileSystem variable
from FileSystem = messydos:l/MessyFileSystem and changed the pathname
of the Device variable from Device = messydos:devs/messydisk.device

I made the changes in the FileSystem and Device pathnames because I was
getting requestors asking me to insert "messydos" into any drive. I
couldnt find any file named messydos in the MSH archive and when I made
the changes I stopped getting the requestors. I added the command
mount MSH: to my startup-sequence in s: directory. My startup-sequence
is as follows

c:SetPatch >NIL: r
Addbuffers df0: 10
cd c:
echo "Amiga Workbench Disk, Release 1.3.2 version 34.32"
Sys:System/FastMemFirst
Binddrivers
FF >NIL: -0
resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add
resident c:Execute pure
mount MSH:
mount newcon
;
failat 11
run execute s:StartupII
wait >NIL: 5 mins
SYS:System/SetMap usa1
path ram: c: sys:utilities sys:system s: sys:prefs add
LoadWB delay
endcli > NIL:

This is the exact same startup sequence as comes with AmigaDos 1.3 except for
the addition of the mount MSH command.

I dont get any errors when booting AmigaDos 1.3 on my A3000 with this
startup-sequence and mountlist. When I insert a MSDOS disk into DF0: I get
a DF0:BAD message on the WorkBench screen. When I launch a CLI and type
dir MSH: the drive comes on and sometimes I get a few mangled letters
printed on the screen. At other times I dont get anything at all , just a
blank screen. If I type dir MSH: a second time the drive light doesnt
even come on and nothing is output. I've tried the command cd MSH: also
and I cant get that to work either. A second disk icon is put onto the
Workbench screen after I type dir MSH: but this disk icon doesnt have
a name.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and explain in to me in nice simple
terms? I'm new to the Amiga and dont know much about it and the Commodore
manuals arent very informative about AmigaDos.

                  Thanks
                    Scott Corley

jmauric@hubcap.clemson.edu (AMIGA users group) (03/15/91)

From article <1991Mar14.031705.143@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu>, by spice@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu:
> I'm a new Amiga owner and am having trouble getting the shareware program
>
> c:SetPatch >NIL: r
> Addbuffers df0: 10
> cd c:
> echo "Amiga Workbench Disk, Release 1.3.2 version 34.32"
> Sys:System/FastMemFirst
> Binddrivers
> FF >NIL: -0
> resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add
> resident c:Execute pure
> mount MSH:

 i suggest you add the following after the line above.

  autodiskchange <nil: >nil: msh:

> mount newcon
> ;
> failat 11
> run execute s:StartupII
> wait >NIL: 5 mins
> SYS:System/SetMap usa1
> path ram: c: sys:utilities sys:system s: sys:prefs add
> LoadWB delay
> endcli > NIL:
>

> This is the exact same startup sequence as comes with AmigaDos 1.3 except for
> the addition of the mount MSH command.
>
> I dont get any errors when booting AmigaDos 1.3 on my A3000 with this
> startup-sequence and mountlist. When I insert a MSDOS disk into DF0: I get
> a DF0:BAD message on the WorkBench screen. When I launch a CLI and type

 the df0:bad message appears but it should still should get the ms-dos disk.
make sure that your ms-dos disk has a label. in ms-dos, use the command
LABEL to label your disks.  only then on the amiga do you get a name with the
disk icon for ms-dos. ive had no problems with messydos.

> dir MSH: the drive comes on and sometimes I get a few mangled letters
> printed on the screen. At other times I dont get anything at all , just a
> blank screen. If I type dir MSH: a second time the drive light doesnt
> even come on and nothing is output. I've tried the command cd MSH: also
> and I cant get that to work either. A second disk icon is put onto the
> Workbench screen after I type dir MSH: but this disk icon doesnt have
> a name.
>

>                   Thanks
>                     Scott Corley

                                 --john
jmauric@hubcap.clemson.edu

!X!   Music   Edit    Tools    Special  !        999999999 Bytes Free
=====!       !=================================================================
     !#Opera#!______

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (03/15/91)

_______________________
>       GlobVec = - 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GlobVec = -1, not '- 1'.

That might be the problem.

Could also be a 68030 problem. I know that I have troubles if I'm in 68030
mode trying to read/write to MSH:

> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and explain in to me in nice simple
> terms? I'm new to the Amiga and dont know much about it and the Commodore
> manuals arent very informative about AmigaDos.

It's not really 'amigados' that's at fault here, Scott. MSH isn't AmigaDos! :-)

Dac
--
David Andrew Clayton. // _l _  _ dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au    *or*|I post.I am.
Canberra, Australia.\X/ (_](_l(_ ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac@munnari.oz