[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Is RF Modulator Output OK?

gonzalez@bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) (03/20/91)

I'm contemplating getting an Amiga 500.  Since this is strictly a toy
for me, I can't justify plunking down a *lot* of money right now.

One cost-saving option I'm considering is to hold off on the 1084s and
try to live with an RF modulator (part of the 500 package now offered
by Software Etc.) and an old color TV I have.  Considering that I can't
afford a Flicker Fixer and will therefore not be using the hi-res (for
now), will this arrangement really cost me anything in display quality?

				-Jim.

In article <63328@bbn.BBN.COM> gonzalez@BBN.COM (Jim Gonzalez) writes:

>One cost-saving option I'm considering is to hold off on the 1084s and
>try to live with an RF modulator (part of the 500 package now offered
>by Software Etc.) and an old color TV I have.  Considering that I can't
>afford a Flicker Fixer and will therefore not be using the hi-res (for
                               (you probably mean interlace ^^^^^^)
>now), will this arrangement really cost me anything in display quality?

Yes, it's not as good as on an RGB monitor. The reason is the way such
a TV signal is modulated. It simply does not provide enough bandwidth
to provide high color resolution. Additionally not all colors are
allowed in full saturation, so you will get bleed (sp?) effects for
some intensive pure colors. So, if you can avoid it, avoid it.

john_rogers@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (John Rogers) (03/22/91)

>One cost-saving option I'm considering is to hold off on the 1084s and
>try to live with an RF modulator (part of the 500 package now offered
>by Software Etc.) and an old color TV I have.  Considering that I can't
>afford a Flicker Fixer and will therefore not be using the hi-res (for
>now), will this arrangement really cost me anything in display quality?

Yes it will cost you dreadfully in display quality. I did what you want to do
when I first bought my amiga. What you save on the monitor you lose on
headache remedies. Check with your local dealers for consignment deals or
something but do not torture yourself with an RF modulator set up.
If you decide to ignore this I can sell you an Rf Modulator cheap-like.

|                                                 |
| uucp: john_rogers@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca         |
|                                                 |
| GEnie: j.rogers24                               |
|_________________________________________________|

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (03/22/91)

In article <63328@bbn.BBN.COM> gonzalez@BBN.COM (Jim Gonzalez) writes:
>I'm considering [holding] off on the 1084s and trying to live with an RF
>modulator... and an old color TV I have.
 [Notes about not using HiRes/Interlace mode]
>will this arrangement really cost me anything in display quality?
     Yes it will - no question. You'll have to work at it to get a readable
display. The best I found for text on a TV when I was playing around with
it (I had a monitor, but it was monochrome; fortunately, those days are
gone!) was black text on a light blue screen. Blue doesn't have as many of
the chroma problems which plague NTSC, and black doesn't have any chroma
at all, of course. :-)
     Anyway, combined with a good font (say, pearl.font, which is a clean
san serif 80 column font which I prefer strongly over Topaz), you will get
a readable Workbench screen. If all your applications live there, you'll
be alright. It won't be great, but it'll be readable. Anything that changes
colours on you, however, could result in unreadable text. Red is particularly
awful.
     Peter remarks about interlace; I found on some televisions that
turning on interlace _without_ increasing resolution (saying in 640 by
200, but adding double-scanning) actually improved picture quality
without adding mentionable flicker. (Use SetLace for this; it's not
included with the system, but is available here and there) In one case,
it was required; the TV wouldn't handle the RF signal without interlace
turned on.
     However, regardless of what you do, it won't be as pretty as it should
be. If your TV isn't of a particularly high resolution, it'll look awful.
Good luck.
                                                        - R'ykandar.
--
          R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT Science and Fiction
             "I hate you, you timepiece from Hades." - Plucky Duck

cpc@czaeap.UUCP (Chris Cebelenski) (03/24/91)

In article <63328@bbn.BBN.COM>, Jim Gonzalez writes:

> I'm contemplating getting an Amiga 500.  Since this is strictly a toy
> for me, I can't justify plunking down a *lot* of money right now.
>
> One cost-saving option I'm considering is to hold off on the 1084s and
> try to live with an RF modulator (part of the 500 package now offered
> by Software Etc.) and an old color TV I have.  Considering that I can't
> afford a Flicker Fixer and will therefore not be using the hi-res (for
> now), will this arrangement really cost me anything in display quality?
>
> 				-Jim.

Uh, yes.  Color's bleed, 80-col text is all but impossible to read,
and if everything isn't shielded properly you get all sorts of
interference.  The only time I break out my A520 is when I need
to record to tape.  I used to have a 1702 and a C-view cable, but
I gave that up when I eyes started to water a lot...

    Chris Cebelenski        UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage                : cpc@czaeap.UUCP
                                 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
                               \X/
               Sex, and Drugs, and Rock and Roll-Playing!     (DEVO RULES)
NOTE: When replying to me, if you get "cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com" or
somthing like that as an address your mailer is BRAIN-DEAD, and the
address must to adjusted.