[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Amiga Peripherals

mattel@attc.UUCP (Matt Telles) (04/05/91)

Thanks to all who responded about my moving peripherals from my A1000 to my
*brand spanking OLD* Amiga2000. One note of clarification, however:

   The hardcard (yes *CARD*) in question was NOT in the 1000, it is an IBM/AT
compatible hard-card that I have in my (dare I say it...) IBM/AT compatible.
I was wondering whether it can be plugged into the IBM slots on the 2000, or
whether it can be used at all.  Don't have the specs for it right now, but I
can certainly check if necessary.

   Again, thanks for all the help!  Net people are *so* wonderful :)

Matt

Matt Telles 	                 mattel@auto-trol.COM
                                 {...}ncar!ico!auto-trol!mattel
Auto-trol Technology 12500 N Washington Denver, CO 80241-2404 (303)252-2874

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (04/07/91)

In article <1347@attc.UUCP> mattel@auto-trol.UUCP (Matt Telles) writes:
>   The hardcard (yes *CARD*) in question was NOT in the 1000, it is an IBM/AT
>compatible hard-card that I have in my (dare I say it...) IBM/AT compatible.
>I was wondering whether it can be plugged into the IBM slots on the 2000, or
>whether it can be used at all.  Don't have the specs for it right now, but I
>can certainly check if necessary.

You won't be able to use the card from Amiga mode directly.

However, if you get a Bridgeboard, you will be able to plug in the
hardcard and use it from the Bridgeboard.  I believe the 2000 can
access the Bridgeboard's disks in one manner or another, although it
is slow (can someone confirm?).

Also, it is probably possible to strip off the drive from the card and
use the drive with an Amiga controller.  Whether this is possible or a
good idea depends on what kind of drive you have.  If it is a SCSI
drive (not likely), it is a good idea.  If it is an IDE drive (on a
card?  not likely), it is also a good idea.  Otherwise, you'll just
have to make do.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.