[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] WARNING! Fish Disks are not virus free!

zz96sr@sdacs.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) (03/15/91)

     Yesterday, I downloaded 2 Fishdisk icon files from ux1:

         ff190 GaryIcons
         ff350 Icons

     One of these (ff350 most likely) has a virus.  I made the mistake of
putting them on DH0:, assuming that Fishdisks are pretty safe.  This
morning, the system would not come up -- Error Validating Disk.
     I ran diskdoctor on DF0: and DH0:  Now, DH0: is called "Lazarus",
the clock is way off and the DH0: workbench screen has a huge icon of a
3 1/2 disk with "SFVAUG" written on it.  This icon was on ff350.
(SFVAUG = San Fernando Valley Amiga Users Group).
     This weekend, I think my newly aquired Amiga 2000 (free) is going
in the closet.  I'm going back to my Commodore 64.  It may be slow,
but at least it's a**hole proof.

                                  --Steve

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (03/16/91)

In article <17527@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> zz96sr@sdacs.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:
>     One of these (ff350 most likely) has a virus.  I made the mistake of
>putting them on DH0:, assuming that Fishdisks are pretty safe.  This
>morning, the system would not come up -- Error Validating Disk.
>     I ran diskdoctor on DF0: and DH0:  Now, DH0: is called "Lazarus"....

	THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY A VIRUS!!

	The DiskDoctor program renames your disk to "Lazarus."  What
probably happened is you had a bad block on your hard drive.  You ran
DiskDoctor which renamed the disk.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (03/16/91)

In article <7785@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <17527@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> zz96sr@sdacs.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:
>>     One of these (ff350 most likely) has a virus.  I made the mistake of
>>putting them on DH0:, assuming that Fishdisks are pretty safe.  This
>>morning, the system would not come up -- Error Validating Disk.
>>     I ran diskdoctor on DF0: and DH0:  Now, DH0: is called "Lazarus"....

>	THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY A VIRUS!!

>	The DiskDoctor program renames your disk to "Lazarus."  What
>probably happened is you had a bad block on your hard drive.  You ran
>DiskDoctor which renamed the disk.
>| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |

I have to agree with Dan... you most likely unpacked the files,
hit a bad spot on your HD and ran diskdoctor.. it coudnt find your
old disk.info.. so it chose the last one it came across...

Hey... I really dont think you can store virii in .info files
anyway... I woulda heard of that!! :-)

-j

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		 jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu -amiga clasic 2000-

In article <16671@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>I have to agree with Dan... you most likely unpacked the files,
>hit a bad spot on your HD and ran diskdoctor.. it coudnt find your
>old disk.info.. so it chose the last one it came across...

	...and I just figured out the rest of the problem.  DiskDoctor
restores your files to the ROOT of the disk partition.  Therefore, a file
called "Disk.info" which was in a subdirectory would be restored to the
root!!  That's why the original poster had an unexpected disk icon --
DiskDoctor restored Disk.info to the root of the partition.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

dlarson@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dale Larson) (03/16/91)

In article <17527@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> zz96sr@sdacs.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:
>     I ran diskdoctor on DF0: and DH0:  Now, DH0: is called "Lazarus",

Sigh.  The old comp.sys.amiga monthly intro posting used to (at least
I think it used to) explain the Lazarus virus.  There is no such thing.
Diskdoctor either always or if it can't find the volume name (I don't
remember which) renames the disk to "Lazarus" since it managed to resurect
the dead disk.

--
Dale Larson                                       dlarson@cbmvax.commodore.com
          I work at Commodore-Amiga, not for Commodore-Amiga.

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/17/91)

In article <7786@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>In article <7785@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>>	The DiskDoctor program renames your disk to "Lazarus."  What
>>>probably happened is you had a bad block on your hard drive.  You ran
>>>DiskDoctor which renamed the disk.
>
> In article <16671@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>>I have to agree with Dan... you most likely unpacked the files,
>>hit a bad spot on your HD and ran diskdoctor.. it coudnt find your
>>old disk.info.. so it chose the last one it came across...
>
> 	...and I just figured out the rest of the problem.  DiskDoctor
> restores your files to the ROOT of the disk partition.  Therefore, a file
> called "Disk.info" which was in a subdirectory would be restored to the
> root!!  That's why the original poster had an unexpected disk icon --
> DiskDoctor restored Disk.info to the root of the partition.

They should distribute a set of hints for new users with every amiga
purchased.... and at the top of the list should be "NEVER USE DISKDOCTOR! IT
WILL F**K YOUR DISK FOR SURE!" DiskSalv should have replaced it on the
distribution LONG ago. What a heinous program! Never did any good for a disk
that I can recall... amigas are too feisty for new users to allow something
like diskdoctor into their hands (I must admit I hated my amiga intensely for
the first week or so... but I wouldn't trade it for anything now)
--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy@WESLEYAN.BITNET

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (03/18/91)

In article <17527@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> zz96sr@sdacs.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:

>     Yesterday, I downloaded 2 Fishdisk icon files from ux1:
>
>         ff190 GaryIcons
>         ff350 Icons
>
>     One of these (ff350 most likely) has a virus.  I made the mistake of
>putting them on DH0:, assuming that Fishdisks are pretty safe.  This
>morning, the system would not come up -- Error Validating Disk.
>     I ran diskdoctor on DF0: and DH0:  Now, DH0: is called "Lazarus",
>the clock is way off and the DH0: workbench screen has a huge icon of a
>3 1/2 disk with "SFVAUG" written on it.  This icon was on ff350.
>(SFVAUG = San Fernando Valley Amiga Users Group).
>     This weekend, I think my newly aquired Amiga 2000 (free) is going
>in the closet.  I'm going back to my Commodore 64.  It may be slow,
>but at least it's a**hole proof.
>
>                                  --Steve

What you had is not an indication of a virus!  I have been with the
Amiga from the beginning, and have seen some viruses, and a lot of
people who thought they had viruses, when all that really happened was
a nasty crash.  Which is what I think happened to you.

The "Error Validating Disk" message indicates a problem with the
integrity of the disk; it can be caused by many things, including an
error or bad spot on the disk (most likely), or some kind of software
failure (less likely).  I have not seen this error message to be
caused by a virus (although I admit that it is possible).

DiskDoctor will rename a disk "Lazarus" if it couldn't find out what
the name of the disk was before the crash.  You probably had a disk
error which wiped out part of your hard disk, including the disk
bitmap (causeing the validation error) and the volume name (causing
Diskdoctor to rename it lazarus).

You got the SFVAUG disk icon because it was the Disk.Info file in the
root of the volume.  Diskdoctor also probably caused this; if it can't
figure out where a file was supposed to go, it will put it in the root
directory of the volume.  The workbench uses whatever Disk.Info file
is in the root directory of your volume as the icon for that volume;
therefore, this too was a result of your disk crash and Diskdoctor.

I will insert a "safe disk-ing" warning here, though.  Carefully
check out all new disks or downloads before assuming they are "safe"
and virus-free.  Viruses are hard to detect sometimes, and even
commercial software has been released on infected disks (it happened
to Aldus once).  One of my recommendations is to use a special boot
floppy when you are checking out software.  Modify this floppy so that
it does not mount your harddisk (which therefore cannot be corrupeted
by random bugs or malignant viruses) while you are checking out new
downloads.  Also get copies of VirusX and DiskSalv; these are both
well known and reliable tools for detecting viruses and repairing
corrupt disks, respectively.

Wildstar

PS: If you still want to junk your A2000, you could always send it to
me ... I would even pay the shipping! ;-)

jlong@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (John Long) (04/09/91)

In article <17527@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> zz96sr@sdacs.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:

>     Yesterday, I downloaded 2 Fishdisk icon files from ux1:
>
>         ff190 GaryIcons
>         ff350 Icons
>
>     One of these (ff350 most likely) has a virus.  I made the mistake of
>putting them on DH0:, assuming that Fishdisks are pretty safe.  This
>morning, the system would not come up -- Error Validating Disk.
>     I ran diskdoctor on DF0: and DH0:  Now, DH0: is called "Lazarus",
>the clock is way off and the DH0: workbench screen has a huge icon of a
>3 1/2 disk with "SFVAUG" written on it.  This icon was on ff350.
>(SFVAUG = San Fernando Valley Amiga Users Group).
>     This weekend, I think my newly aquired Amiga 2000 (free) is going
>in the closet.  I'm going back to my Commodore 64.  It may be slow,
>but at least it's a**hole proof.
>
>                                  --Steve

Subject: WARNING! Fish Disks are not virus free!
(close, but no cigar... should read:
Subject: WARNING! Fish Disks are not guaranteed virus free!
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^
Classic! Hey, Steve, don't put that 2000 in the closet, I can use It!!!
I know how! I took the time to learn! And I'll even pay shipping!
In fact, If you want, maybe I can even find you some old 64 programs
to swap for... a**hole proof and all that. Hey, I'll even pay you 2X
what YOU paid for the 2000! I want it!

If it's a deal, and I have any problems with my new 2000, I'll just ass-
ume that you are to blame (the way you blame ff), and fly off the handle
and mouth off on the edge of libel.

One of the things viruses do is fuck with peoples heads. Steve, just because
you have a problem, don't ASSume that's it's a virus. And if you do find a
virus, don't assume that it was the last disk you copied. Suspect, but don't
assume.

BTW, did you know that when diskdoctor revives a disk, the disk is named
"Lazurus" ?

You have reason to *suspect* a virus, but you have not convinced me that you
have one at all. Not at all.
On the other hand, *don't* assume that just because a disk comes from ff
that it is virus free!

Aloha
LongJohn