[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Modem Woes

macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (04/05/91)

I recently purchaed an A500 and am having serious problems getting
my modem to work on it (it's your standard hayes compatibles with rs232
connections).  I borrowed a serial cable from a friend who has a 1000
and plugged it into the back of the machine and ran a couple modem
programs (NComm and Access) neither of which recognizes that there
is anything modem like attached to the computer (NComm says 'modem
not responding' - Access says nothing at all)  I assume that i should be able
to enter straight hayes commands in either of these programs, however,
nothing I type is echoed to the screen or the modem (none of the lights
flash which would give some hint that something is getting through)  A friend
mentions that i might be missing some files from the /lib directory on
my startup disk (I have a 20Mb drive).  Any ideas as to what they might
be?  Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated...

please reply to macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca or macausr@newton.ccs.tuns.ca

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr5.122933.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca> macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
>I recently purchaed an A500 and am having serious problems getting
>my modem to work on it
>(none of the lights
>flash which would give some hint that something is getting through)

This sounds like a hardware problem.  Make sure you have the right
kind of cable, and that it is firmly connected at both ends.  Try the
same modem on another computer to see that the modem and cable both
work.

It could be software.  Make sure you are talking to the modem at a
speed it can understand (probably 1200 or 2400 bps).  The speed is set
in either your terminal program or the preferences for the serial device.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

varney@cbnewsd.att.com (Al Varney) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.122933.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca> macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
>I recently purchaed an A500 and am having serious problems getting
>my modem to work on it (it's your standard hayes compatibles with rs232
>connections).  I borrowed a serial cable from a friend who has a 1000
>and plugged it into the back of the machine and ....
>...  Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated...
>
>please reply to macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca or macausr@newton.ccs.tuns.ca
  Posting OK?

   STOP!  Do not continue this type of hardware attachment!!!!  How in
the world did you get an A1000 cable to plug into an A500.  You either had
to change it's sex (gender changer) or you plugged it in to the wrong
port (parallel instead of serial).  There is a reason it's not easy to
plug an A1000 cable into an A500 -- they don't use the same pin arrangement!

  Take a standard 7-pin modem cable ("PC" version) and use it.
Or take a 25-pin straight cable (flat ribbon) and break/pull out pins
9 and 10.  Also 11 and 18 if you want to be safe.  I've even cut the
ribbon itself, near one connector.  (See page A-4, "Intro. to the Amiga 500")

  Note that an A1000 cable MUST be wired for the A1000, since several pins
are skewed relative to the "PC" standard.  Read the A1000 manual.

  Al Varney,   AT&T Network Systems,   att!ihlpf!varney

In addition to the steps Dan recommends, Hayes modems (and, presumably,
the compatibles as well) require a significant effort of setup
programming before you can use them for communications, among other
things to make sure that you are talking the same bit and byte
"language" that the modem is currently expecting. Some of the
"quasi-compatibles" do part or all of this programming by "dip switches"
(physical hardware), rather than by software-to-stable-memory controls.
Special things to look for are that your emulator program is set up to
talk the right symbol size (seven or eight bit), parity (even, odd,
mark, or none), stop bits (2, 1 or 0), and speed (300, 1200, 2400, 4800,
9600, etc. baud) as your modem is expecting at initial program setup
time, or corresponding to the way you have the dip switches set, as
appropriate for your modem. Problems in any of these areas can make the
modem seem broken when in fact there is just a misunderstanding about
protocol between your terminal emulation software and your modem
software/hardware.

Kent, the man from xanth.

jmauric@hubcap.clemson.edu (Phantom of Adexsi) (04/10/91)

From article <1991Apr9.143800.10810@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, by xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan):
> In addition to the steps Dan recommends, Hayes modems (and, presumably,
> the compatibles as well) require a significant effort of setup
> programming before you can use them for communications, among other
> things to make sure that you are talking the same bit and byte
> "language" that the modem is currently expecting. Some of the
> "quasi-compatibles" do part or all of this programming by "dip switches"
> (physical hardware), rather than by software-to-stable-memory controls.
> Special things to look for are that your emulator program is set up to
> talk the right symbol size (seven or eight bit), parity (even, odd,
> mark, or none), stop bits (2, 1 or 0), and speed (300, 1200, 2400, 4800,
> 9600, etc. baud) as your modem is expecting at initial program setup
> time, or corresponding to the way you have the dip switches set, as
> appropriate for your modem. Problems in any of these areas can make the
> modem seem broken when in fact there is just a misunderstanding about
> protocol between your terminal emulation software and your modem
> software/hardware.
i have a problem with my modem. maybe serial port.
not sure which. modem is fine when turned on and not connected to my
computer. when modem is connect to my computer, SND (obviously for send) light
is on. im using an AVATEX hayes compatible modem. could the problem be the
dip switches? how do you know? any help would be appreciated. thanks.
                             			--john
!X!   Music   Edit    Tools    Special  !        999999999 Bytes Free
=====!       !=================================================================
     !#Opera#!______

gm@germal.han.de (Gerald Malitz) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr5.122933.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca>, macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:

> I recently purchaed an A500 and am having serious problems getting
> my modem to work on it (it's your standard hayes compatibles with rs232
> connections).  I borrowed a serial cable from a friend who has a 1000
> and plugged it into the back of the machine and ran a couple modem
> programs (NComm and Access) neither of which recognizes that there
> is anything modem like attached to the computer (NComm says 'modem
> not responding' - Access says nothing at all)  I assume that i should be able
> to enter straight hayes commands in either of these programs, however,
> nothing I type is echoed to the screen or the modem (none of the lights
> flash which would give some hint that something is getting through)  A friend
> mentions that i might be missing some files from the /lib directory on
> my startup disk (I have a 20Mb drive).  Any ideas as to what they might
> be?  Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated...

Hey, if you plugged your friends serial cable into your A500 you
must have plugged into the paralell port! Of course thet doesn't
work. At A1000 the serial port is female, the paralell one is
male. The A500 and also the A2000 have it the other way around.
You have to get your own cable for the A500.

Regards, Gerald.

Please avoid email from outside of de, thanks.
--
  // Gerald Malitz,  Bolchentwete 4,  3300 Braunschweig,  Voice: +49 531 796832
\X/ gm@germal.han.de          Gute Nacht da draussen, was immer Ihr sein moegt.