[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Lharc.lzh and pkunzip.zip

muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) (04/15/91)

Hi there

Following on from the discussion on 'FILES.Z', I would like to congratulate
those archive sites (they will remain anonymous) who store "lharc.lzh"
and "pkunzip.zip"

+^o^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-+-o-+
|   | Murray Chapman                          muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au       |   |
| o |                                                                  | o |
|   | University of Queensland      "I'd rather have a bottle in front |   |
| o | St Lucia, Queenland            of me than a frontal lobotomy"    | o |
|   | AUSTRALIA                               - Mel Brooks             |   |
| o |                                                                  | o |
+^-^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-------------+---+
                                                          \__          | o |
                                        Hate that! ----->    +^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (04/16/91)

muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) writes:

>Hi there

>Following on from the discussion on 'FILES.Z', I would like to congratulate
>those archive sites (they will remain anonymous) who store "lharc.lzh"
>and "pkunzip.zip"

Dude: They assume you already have a previous version of lharc, in lharc.zoo
form, so that you can use lharc 1.10 to unpack lharc 1.30.

Same thing for zip. I had to d/l pkazip.lzh to unpack pkazip1.01.zip.

Just some info.....

Wayne

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (04/17/91)

In article <lord_zar.671743014@ucrmath> lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) writes:
>muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) writes:
>>Following on from the discussion on 'FILES.Z', I would like to congratulate
>>those archive sites (they will remain anonymous) who store "lharc.lzh"
>>and "pkunzip.zip"
>
>Dude: They assume you already have a previous version of lharc, in lharc.zoo
>form, so that you can use lharc 1.10 to unpack lharc 1.30.

Dude: you missed the point.  Entry-level modemizers need some way to get
their first lharc/zoo/pkazip/arc/etc/etc/etc.

I know that 128.174.5.59 ux1.cso.uiuc.edu used to have an uncompressed
executable of zoo.  Look in the /amiga directory for a directory named
zoo* (probably finishing with the version number).  You should find it
in there.  Ab20.larc.nasa.gov should also have an uncompressed lharc,
since most of the files there seem to be .lzh archives, and it is
also the archiver of choice lately.

Maybe there should be an /amiga/newcomer directory on ab20 to have
stuff like uncompressed executables of archivers.  Here are the relavant
files on ab20:

Date        0  Pathname
20-Mar-91    13581  amiga/utilities/archivers/compressb16.lzh
22-Feb-91    49664  amiga/utilities/archivers/lharc-1.30.zoo
02-Oct-90    12288  amiga/utilities/archivers/pkax.lzh
10-May-90    87040  amiga/utilities/archivers/zoo-2.01.pak

Now, presuming that you know that a .pak extension means its a self-dearchiving
file (ie, the code to extract the archive is included), you get zoo, unpack it.
Get lharc, unpack it.  Now you can get compress and pkax and unpack those.

Obviously, it would be much easier for the *beginner* (remember, we're dealing
with newbies here?) to have a directory with the uncompressed executables
for all the archivers, along with a README detailing the extensions for
each archiver (& other popular archivers), along with a pointer to the
amiga/utilities/archivers directory for other archivers.

I think that a list of archivers, their extensions, and where they can
be found should be in the FAQ...

--
Dave Schaumann      | We're so sorry, Uncle Albert.  But the kettle's
dave@cs.arizona.edu | on the boil, and we're so *easly* called away...

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (04/17/91)

I'm not sure about ab20 or ux1, but and uncompressed/unarchived version
of lharc for the amiga can be had via anonymous ftp from uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
in ~amiga/Amiga/Util/Disk.  I think there is are also sources for a unix
lharc off in ~amiga/Unix or something like that...

-baron

  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet
--

wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org (Walter Mildenberger) (04/18/91)

In article <793@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>,
	muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) writes:
> Hi there
>
> Following on from the discussion on 'FILES.Z', I would like to congratulate
> those archive sites (they will remain anonymous) who store "lharc.lzh"
> and "pkunzip.zip"

Well, if you have - for example-  lharc V0.6, and want to upgrade to V1.2
(or is there a more recent version ?), you can download lharc.lzh - it
*does* make sense.

mfG
--
* Walter Mildenberger, Morgenstr. 55, W-7500 Karlsruhe 1,FRG, (0721)385090 *
* UseNet/SubNet: wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org | Bitnet: sorry, no time to handle *