[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] lharc.lzh part 2

muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) (04/19/91)

Hi there

Following several replies to my previous posting, I will tell the following
tale:

I wanted to compile lharc on a sun 3/50 which did not have lharc already, so I
went searching thru FTP lists for a location for lharc source.  I could only
find the file "lharc.lzh", so I downloaded it, hoping to dump it to a
PC, unarc it, and upload the source.

I downloaded it ok, but the only version of lharc I had for the PC refused
to extract the archive for two reasons (I think):

		1) It treated the / in the archive pathnames not as
		   a filename delimiter, but a character, so

		2) As the files in the archive were prefixed by
		   "lharc/source/...." (longer than 8 chars), they would have
		   extracted as the same file.

Interesting to note that the archive would test and list ok, but not extract.

Consequently, I downloaded "lharc.lzh" to my Amiga, which handles "/"
delimiters ok, but the Amiga lharc claimed that lharc.lzh was corrupt.  (There
is nothing wrong with my Amiga's lharc- this is the first time in two years
of constant use that I have had a compatability problem with lharc).

The next stage in my attempt to extract the file was to use a binary editor to
change the "/"s to "\s" in an attempt to get the PC version of lharc to extract
it. Alas, lharc's internal checksum caught this backdoor attempt, and spat the
file out as corrupt...

THE SOLUTION: I eventually found lharc-src.zoo...

SO! While I realize that there is a valid reason for storing "lharc.lzh", it
does lead to problems for initially installing lharc on a filesystem.

Flames returned in triplicate. :-)

+^o^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-+-o-+
|   | Murray Chapman                          muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au       |   |
| o |                                                                  | o |
|   | University of Queensland      "I'd rather have a bottle in front |   |
| o | St Lucia, Queenland            of me than a frontal lobotomy"    | o |
|   | AUSTRALIA                               - Mel Brooks             |   |
| o |                                                                  | o |
+^-^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-------------+---+
                                                          \__          | o |
                                        Hate that! ----->    +^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

gwing@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Geoff C Wing) (04/19/91)

muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) writes:

>I wanted to compile lharc on a sun 3/50 which did not have lharc already, so I
>went searching thru FTP lists for a location for lharc source.  I could only
>find the file "lharc.lzh", so I downloaded it, hoping to dump it to a
>PC, unarc it, and upload the source.

>I downloaded it ok, but the only version of lharc I had for the PC refused
>to extract the archive for two reasons (I think):
>		1) It treated the / in the archive pathnames not as
>		   a filename delimiter, but a character, so
The problem is with your INCOMPATIBLE PC lharc version.
>		2) As the files in the archive were prefixed by
>		   "lharc/source/...." (longer than 8 chars), they would have
>		   extracted as the same file.

>Interesting to note that the archive would test and list ok, but not extract.

>Consequently, I downloaded "lharc.lzh" to my Amiga, which handles "/"
>delimiters ok, but the Amiga lharc claimed that lharc.lzh was corrupt.  (There
>is nothing wrong with my Amiga's lharc- this is the first time in two years
>of constant use that I have had a compatability problem with lharc).

OK, here goes. There's nothing wrong with the file you downloaded. But it most
likely was archived with the older lharc version on UNIX, without the generic
flag set, so that the archive saves permissions, etc. and is incompatible with
versions on other computers. Try C-lharc.

[... tried to change /'s to \'s ...]
>THE SOLUTION: I eventually found lharc-src.zoo...

Eventually??? Why didn't you use "archie"? I'm sure there are many lharc sources
around which are just tar'd and compress'd, or similar.