[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Scrolling 2.0 screens without AutoScroll on

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (04/21/91)

Ok, I've had my A3000 since they first started shipping.  I have finally
looked into using the virtual screen support, however.  The idea being to
have a screen twice as large in each direction to drag windows partially
off screen (like on a Mac or under X).  I turned off autoscroll because I
don't see myself running around the screen a lot and it's anoying if I
accidentally hit the mouse against a side.

Anyway, I'm having trouble finding out how to manually scroll the screen.
If I'm at the top of the screen, I can grab its drag bar and scroll
anywhere I want with the mouse.  But once I let go, if there's no drag bar,
I can't seem to get back.  Looking in the 2.0 preferences section, there is
a thing in IControl about the key to be used in congunction with the mouse
to scroll the screen.  This sure sounds like what I'm looking for, but no
amount of coersion seems to make it work.  What's the scoop?  I'm obviously
missing something here.

Thanks,
-=> CAW

(Looking through the manual, it seems to me the old icons for the window
gadgets looked a lot nicer than the current stuff.  I think that's been
said here, already, though...)

Christopher A. Wichura                Multitasking.  Just DO it.
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)                          ...the Amiga way...
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (04/21/91)

In article <caw.9275@miroc.Chi.IL.US> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:
: Anyway, I'm having trouble finding out how to manually scroll the screen.
: Looking in the 2.0 preferences section, there is a thing in IControl about
: the key to be used in congunction with the mouse to scroll the screen.
: But no amount of coersion seems to make it work.  What's the scoop?

Press and hold the left Amiga key.  While doing this, press and hold the
left mouse button.  The workbench screen will then scroll with mouse movement.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) (04/22/91)

In article caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes...
>Anyway, I'm having trouble finding out how to manually scroll the screen.
>If I'm at the top of the screen, I can grab its drag bar and scroll
>anywhere I want with the mouse.  But once I let go, if there's no drag bar,
>I can't seem to get back.  Looking in the 2.0 preferences section, there is
>a thing in IControl about the key to be used in congunction with the mouse
>to scroll the screen.  This sure sounds like what I'm looking for, but no
>amount of coersion seems to make it work.  What's the scoop?  I'm obviously
>missing something here.

Left-Amiga Left-Mouse-Drag drags the screen around.

There is a bad side effect to auto-scroll off.  If you have ToolManager
running that has added lots of tools to your Tools menu, you can't get
to the bottom entries as you cannot scroll to the bottom.  That is unless
you have menu-snap off.  If it's off it won't take you to the top of the
screen whenever click the right-mouse.

>Thanks,
>-=> CAW
>
>(Looking through the manual, it seems to me the old icons for the window
>gadgets looked a lot nicer than the current stuff.  I think that's been
>said here, already, though...)

I prefer the newer gadget imagery than the old.  The older gadgetry was
A) Too small and B) Too NeXTish.  The newer gadgets work into the window
better.  The resize gadget with the little lines I liked better than the
current little triangle, though.

>Christopher A. Wichura                Multitasking.  Just DO it.
>caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)                          ...the Amiga way...
>u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)

I do have a comment along the lines of gadgets to anyone who may know.  Are
scalable icons going to make their way into the OS anytime soon?  I mean,
when you go from 640x400 to 640x200 the gadgets don't always look right.
640x400 gadgets look to long under 640x200 and 640x200 icons look too
squashed under 640x400.  Is this under consideration to be added?

Brian Wright
wright%etsuvax2@ricevm1.rice.edu

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (04/22/91)

In article <caw.9275@miroc.Chi.IL.US> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:

>[deleted]

>Anyway, I'm having trouble finding out how to manually scroll the screen.
>If I'm at the top of the screen, I can grab its drag bar and scroll
>anywhere I want with the mouse.  But once I let go, if there's no drag bar,
>I can't seem to get back.  Looking in the 2.0 preferences section, there is
>a thing in IControl about the key to be used in congunction with the mouse
>to scroll the screen.

In 2.0, you don't need a drag bar.  Try this:

1. Move the mouse cursor one inch below the top of the screen.

2. Hold down the left Amiga key.

3. Press down the left mouse button.

4. Move your mouse toward yourself.

The entire screen should scroll down, following the mouse.  This does
assume you haven't changed the screen drag key from the left-Amiga via
Preferences.  You can do this with any screen.  Quite useful for
programs that open custom screens with no drag bars.  You can even
move some screens left & right this way....

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.