[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Workbench fonts

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) (04/20/91)

In WB 2.02, why are only some fonts available for the system default font?  I wish to use
a small, 9 or 11 point helvetica font, or just some font that I will be able to fit more
than 130 characters per line.  The WB does not let you "pick" from all the available fonts,
but only a small sub-section.  Is it that no seif fonts can be used?  Is there something
that I am missing?
--
                                __
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.170301.9148@visix.com> brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) writes:

> In WB 2.02, why are only some fonts available for the system default font?

The default font must be a nonproportional font.  Thus, fonts like
Helvetica won't work.  Handling proportional fonts is hard work, and
if you were to set the default font to something proportional, a lot
of programs might break.  However, the only applications which usually
have to deal with screen title bars and icon names are Intuition and
Workbench, respectively.  Since Intuition and Workbench know how
to deal with prop fonts in 2.0, Prefs lets you use them for titles
and icons.

nj

accangel@amix.commodore.com (Mark Gardner) (04/22/91)

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) writes:

> In WB 2.02, why are only some fonts available for the system default font?  I
> a small, 9 or 11 point helvetica font, or just some font that I will be able
> than 130 characters per line.  The WB does not let you "pick" from all the av
> but only a small sub-section.  Is it that no seif fonts can be used?  Is ther
> that I am missing?

No, you're not missing anything.  The default system font box only lets
you pick from nonproportional, or monospaced fonts - like Topaz.  That
is, fonts that have characters, punctuation, spaces, etc. all the same
width.  Why?  Because some applications (for instance, terminal programs)
need a guaranteed available nonproportional font so their displays will
come out looking all right.  And, in the spirit of the 2.0 OS, you aren't
forced to work with Topaz 8 - you can choose any nonproportional font.

Besides the Topaz family of fonts, Courier should also work, as well as
the various non-serifed (or "clean") Topaz clones out there.  Me, I like
a certain font called Clean3, 11 point, on an interlaced (well,
400-pixel-line) screen), 'coz Topaz 8 is just TOO tiny.

> --
>                                 __
>   Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive
>     ..!uunet!visix!brett  \/ / __)/ /\   Reston, Virginia 22091
>     brett@visix.com       Software Inc   (703) 758-2733

 -Mark Gardner - "Accidental Angel"
  accangel@undrground.uucp

~Mark Gardner

UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!~accangel