[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Whatza .Z file?

ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) (04/10/91)

Um, this may sound a WEE bit dumb, but I don't know which archive/dearchive
program to use with a file which has a  .Z  extension on it.  Could someone
please e-mail (or post if there's enough curiosity from we neophytes) which
program; and most importantly, WHICH FLAGS/SETTINGS/COMMANDS/-xju@#$11 exten-
sions that I should use to de-archive the  .Z  text file??

Thanks much!

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (04/11/91)

In article <Uc0lnZu00WB942a0gK@andrew.cmu.edu> ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) writes:
>Um, this may sound a WEE bit dumb,

Why do you think we invented this group?

>but I don't know which archive/dearchive
>program to use with a file which has a  .Z  extension on it.  Could someone
>please e-mail (or post if there's enough curiosity from we neophytes) which
>program; and most importantly, WHICH FLAGS/SETTINGS/COMMANDS/-xju@#$11 exten-
>sions that I should use to de-archive the  .Z  text file??

That's the extension for the Unix compress/uncompress format.  There's
a version of compress for the Amiga, also.  You can find it on some
Fred Fish disk or another.

Note that if you are getting files from ab20.larc.nasa.gov, there's a
file called /README.  It lists all the extensions and their archivers.
It looks like this:

@A quick guide to filename extensions:
@
@	Extension	Archiver
@	.arc		arc
@	.zoo		zoo
@	.lzh		lharc
@	.lhw		lhwarp
@	.wrp		warp
@	.Z		compress
@	.tar		tar
@	.dms		dms
@
@Most (all?) of these archivers are available somewhere from this site.
@Use the ``FILES.Z'' file to locate any archivers you need.
@
@Send mail to <ftp@ab20.larc.nasa.gov> if you have problems.
@But be sure to consult your local guru first...

Good luck!

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (04/11/91)

In article <8760@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>In article <Uc0lnZu00WB942a0gK@andrew.cmu.edu> ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) writes:
[discussion about .Z/compress deleted]

>Note that if you are getting files from ab20.larc.nasa.gov, there's a
>file called /README.  It lists all the extensions and their archivers.
>It looks like this:
>
>@A quick guide to filename extensions:
>@
>@	Extension	Archiver
.
.
>@	.Z		compress
.
.
>@Most (all?) of these archivers are available somewhere from this site.
>@Use the ``FILES.Z'' file to locate any archivers you need.
                 ^^
            ^^^^^^^
Isn't this a tad silly?  How would a new user get compress to
uncompress the file that tells him/her where the compress program is?

just curious  :-)

--
Rik Harris - rik@sola.fcit.monash.edu.au or rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
new address!    rik.harris@monash.edu.au

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr11.104812.4833@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:
>@
>@	Extension	Archiver
>@	.Z		compress
>.
>@Most (all?) of these archivers are available somewhere from this site.
>@Use the ``FILES.Z'' file to locate any archivers you need.
>                 ^^
>Isn't this a tad silly?  How would a new user get compress to
>uncompress the file that tells him/her where the compress program is?

No, it makes sense.  All decent Unix systems have the "compress"
program.  There's no need to shuffle the thing to your Amiga.  Just
uncompress and read it on whatever system you have hooked up to ftp.

BTW, be careful when you say "a tad silly."  I think "a silly Tad"
would be more appropriate in this situation.

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (04/15/91)

rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:

>[discussion about .Z/compress deleted]
>>@Use the ``FILES.Z'' file to locate any archivers you need.
>                 ^^
>            ^^^^^^^
>Isn't this a tad silly?  How would a new user get compress to
>uncompress the file that tells him/her where the compress program is?

>just curious  :-)

Ever hear of zcat? You don't need to use compress to read a .Z file.

zcat filename | (Your favorite pager. Ie less, more.)

Try this alias in your .cshrc:

alias z 'zcat \!* | $PAGER'

($PAGER is a nice variable to have. Using 'less' with the system manual is
very nice)
Then you just 'z filename' to view it.

Wayne

d88ricwe@odalix.ida.liu.se (Rickard Westman) (04/15/91)

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) writes:
>rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:

>>[discussion about .Z/compress deleted]
>>>@Use the ``FILES.Z'' file to locate any archivers you need.
>>                 ^^
>>            ^^^^^^^
>>Isn't this a tad silly?  How would a new user get compress to
>>uncompress the file that tells him/her where the compress program is?

>Ever hear of zcat? You don't need to use compress to read a .Z file.

Actually, the binaries for zcat, compress and uncompress are
identical.  Only the names are different.  If you have got one of
them, you can get the others by simple renaming.
--
Rickard Westman, University of Linkoping, Sweden (d88ricwe@odalix.ida.liu.se)

rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (04/16/91)

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) writes:

>rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:

>>[discussion about .Z/compress deleted]
>>>@Use the ``FILES.Z'' file to locate any archivers you need.
>>                 ^^
>>            ^^^^^^^
>>Isn't this a tad silly?  How would a new user get compress to
>>uncompress the file that tells him/her where the compress program is?

>>just curious  :-)

>Ever hear of zcat? You don't need to use compress to read a .Z file.

>zcat filename | (Your favorite pager. Ie less, more.)

>Try this alias in your .cshrc:

>alias z 'zcat \!* | $PAGER'

>($PAGER is a nice variable to have. Using 'less' with the system manual is
>very nice)
>Then you just 'z filename' to view it.

Ever thought that zcat and uncompress might be the same program.
Under UNIX (where compress was first commonly used) it is simply the
same binary with a different name (hard link - even takes up the same
diskblocks).  The versions of compress I have had for the amiga are
called with 'compress -c'.  I have an alias for zcat which is:

alias zcat 'uncompress -c'

It's the SAME program

>Wayne
rik
--

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (04/23/91)

In article <8778@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>In article <1991Apr11.104812.4833@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> rik@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:
>>@Most (all?) of these archivers are available somewhere from this site.
>>@Use the ``FILES.Z'' file to locate any archivers you need.
>>                 ^^
>>Isn't this a tad silly?  How would a new user get compress to
>>uncompress the file that tells him/her where the compress program is?
>
>No, it makes sense.  All decent Unix systems have the "compress"
>program.  There's no need to shuffle the thing to your Amiga.  Just
>uncompress and read it on whatever system you have hooked up to ftp.

No it doesn't .. suppose you're on a machine which isn't Unix
and which doesn't otherwise have {,un}compress?

After all, all the world's not Unix (yet;-)).

	David

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (04/24/91)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>After all, all the world's not Unix (yet;-)).

Wrong! The world IS Unix.
--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department