[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] disk icons won't politely remove themselves

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) (04/25/91)

Why is it that if I insert a disk... remove it, its icon stays?
(I never launch an application from it, so no object is being used)

Swapping disks with a friend led to 4 disk icons and I only have one drive.
Argg, what is going on?

Its a problem when I decide to copy a file to df0: and it wants a disk
that was inserted 11 disks ago or so... (so I select CANCEL when it asks
me to insert that disk, and then I cant access that file anymore because
it is an "object in use"?? but I selected CANCEL!).

FYI all I do with these disks is a dir df0:.  The disk icon then becomes
a permanent fixture until reboot.  Not even re-inserting it and removing it.

--
 Doug Dyer        ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu

og@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Oliver Graf) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr25.042927.10952@hubcap.clemson.edu>, ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) writes:

> Why is it that if I insert a disk... remove it, its icon stays?
> (I never launch an application from it, so no object is being used)
>
> Its a problem when I decide to copy a file to df0: and it wants a disk
> that was inserted 11 disks ago or so... (so I select CANCEL when it asks
> me to insert that disk, and then I cant access that file anymore because
> it is an "object in use"?? but I selected CANCEL!).
>
> FYI all I do with these disks is a dir df0:.  The disk icon then becomes
> a permanent fixture until reboot.  Not even re-inserting it and removing it.

Do you use the original Dir command from WB 1.3 ? It seems that the Dir command
does not Unlock his locks when ending. Or did you a "CD df0:" ? In this case
the icon will not be removed until you change your current dir again.

>  Doug Dyer        ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu

   Oliver

| Oliver Graf  Gewerbeschulstr. 75  5600 Wuppertal 2  FRG     //               |
| EUnet-Support + UUCP Support University of Dortmund        // T.O.M.         |
| og@unido  oliver_graf@TTB.ZER  OLIVER;TOM              \\ //  Software       |
| Did you see my towel ?                                  \X/   Wuppertal      |