[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Killing Processes

macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (04/19/91)

I know this question has probably been address before, but I
was wondering how you go about stopping processes which are running
in memory from the CLI.  I ran a song executble file the other day and the only
way I could get it to stop was by turning off the machine :-)

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.122837.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca> macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
>I know this question has probably been address before, but I
>was wondering how you go about stopping processes which are running
>in memory from the CLI.  I ran a song executble file the other day and the only
>way I could get it to stop was by turning off the machine :-)

  There is a program that does this, but I do not remember the name. It opens
up a window and scrolls all of the process. You can freeze or kill most
processes, including devices and stuff. I will find out the name. I wish
I knew how to FTP or csa.binary the file.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) (04/22/91)

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes...
>macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
>>I know this question has probably been address before, but I
>>was wondering how you go about stopping processes which are running
>>in memory from the CLI.  I ran a song executble file the other day and the only
>>way I could get it to stop was by turning off the machine :-)
>
>  There is a program that does this, but I do not remember the name. It opens
>up a window and scrolls all of the process. You can freeze or kill most
>processes, including devices and stuff. I will find out the name. I wish
>I knew how to FTP or csa.binary the file.

Yes, two of them.  Amiga Real-Time monitor and Xoper.  I believe they are
both written by the same person.  ARTM is a more point and click type thing
and Xoper is more CLI (typing) type.  Both are good, but I think Xoper has
a few more functions than ARTM.  I think Xoper is on Fred Fish and not too
sure about where to find ARTM (maybe ab20?)

>--
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

Brian Wright
wright%etsuvax2@ricevm1.rice.edu

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George A. Withers) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.122837.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca>,
macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
|>From: macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca
|>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.introduction
|>Subject: Killing Processes
|>
|>I know this question has probably been address before, but I
|>was wondering how you go about stopping processes which are running
|>in memory from the CLI.  I ran a song executble file the other day and
|>the only
|>way I could get it to stop was by turning off the machine :-)

Also, if the program supports/traps the BREAK (ctrl-c), you can
get the Task number by doing STATUS and issue a BREAK n to
that task, as in:

	DF0:> STATUS
	Task 3 loaded as STATUS
	Task 1 loaded as MUSIC_PRG_I_WANNA_KILL
	DF0:> BREAK 1
	DF0:>

This, of course, only works if the program reads the break.

George

 George A. Withers, Jr.                  |  "There is no life I know to compare
 Digital Equipment Corp., 97 Piper Road  |   with pure imagination.  Living
 Acton, MA   01720   AT&T: 508.264.2339  |   there you'll be free .. if you
 Addr: withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com       |   truly wish to be."  - W. Wonka
      DISCLAIMER:  "Don't look at me!  I didn't do it!" (Krusty the Clown)

saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) (04/23/91)

In article <22253@shlump.nac.dec.com> withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George A. Withers) writes:
>In article <1991Apr19.122837.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca>,
>macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
>|>I know this question has probably been address before, but I
>|>was wondering how you go about stopping processes which are running
>|>in memory from the CLI. ...
>Also, if the program supports/traps the BREAK (ctrl-c), you can
>get the Task number by doing STATUS and issue a BREAK n to
>that task, as in:
>
>	DF0:> STATUS
>	Task 3 loaded as STATUS
>	Task 1 loaded as MUSIC_PRG_I_WANNA_KILL
>	DF0:> BREAK 1
>	DF0:>

This doesn't seem to work for me in WB2.02.  I started
a shell in the background, and when I attempted to kill it
using the "break" command, it didn't work.  Just to be sure that
everything was okay, I switched to the background shell and typed
a ^C ... and it killed the background shell correctly.  The manual
SAYS that a "break 1" is equivalent to switching to task 1
and hitting CTRL-C.  Since it doesn't appear to work that way,
my guess is that this is one of the perks
of a Beta operating System ;v)

* saunders@triton.unm.edu * "This is _NOT_ Mel Tormet!" - Top Secret

wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.182924.15708@ariel.unm.edu>, saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes...

[Stuff deleted]

>This doesn't seem to work for me in WB2.02.  I started
>a shell in the background, and when I attempted to kill it
>using the "break" command, it didn't work.  Just to be sure that
>everything was okay, I switched to the background shell and typed
>a ^C ... and it killed the background shell correctly.  The manual
>SAYS that a "break 1" is equivalent to switching to task 1
>and hitting CTRL-C.  Since it doesn't appear to work that way,
>my guess is that this is one of the perks
>of a Beta operating System ;v)

First, it *SHOULD* be equivalent, but unfortunately the place where the
ctrl-c is intercepted is a different place than the Break command is. This
means that a program has to poll for that break command or it won't work.
If a certain task has severly crashed it is highly unlikely that a ctrl-c
or a break will do it.  That's the time to whip out Xoper or Amiga Real-Time
monitor and kill it.  If all is functioning correctly ctrl-c or break should
work provided that it can accept both types.  Of course, if it is stated that
it will accept both and doesn't, than obviously it doesn't support both.

Since I am not sure what you are doing, I can't really test it out and give you
an answer to this dilemma in full.  I do have 2.0, though.

wright%etsuvax2@ricevm1.rice.edu   or   wright@etsuvax2.bitnet

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.182924.15708@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>In article <22253@shlump.nac.dec.com> withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George A. Withers) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr19.122837.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca>,
>>macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
>This doesn't seem to work for me in WB2.02.  I started
>a shell in the background, and when I attempted to kill it
>using the "break" command, it didn't work.  Just to be sure that
>everything was okay, I switched to the background shell and typed
>a ^C ... and it killed the background shell correctly.  The manual
>SAYS that a "break 1" is equivalent to switching to task 1
>and hitting CTRL-C.  Since it doesn't appear to work that way,
>my guess is that this is one of the perks
>of a Beta operating System ;v)
>
>* saunders@triton.unm.edu * "This is _NOT_ Mel Tormet!" - Top Secret

Shells don't get breaks...they give breaks.  Control-C won't kill
a shell.  Only an EndShell or an EOF will kill a Shell.

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

 "The best way to do video effects on a Mac is to use an Amiga."

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (04/25/91)

Ummmm, Andy?  Why *shouldn't* Shells accept BREAKs or ^C?  I can think
of several places where that would be very convenient but none, offhand,
where it would be a problem.  What am I missing?  At least have the shell
accept the BREAK signal.  Surely that is specific enough that it can't
be mixed up with valid commands.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (04/25/91)

In article <41619@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>Ummmm, Andy?  Why *shouldn't* Shells accept BREAKs or ^C?  I can think
>of several places where that would be very convenient but none, offhand,
>where it would be a problem.  What am I missing?  At least have the shell
>accept the BREAK signal.  Surely that is specific enough that it can't
>be mixed up with valid commands.
>
>Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

I can't think of a real reason other than that they never have in the
past, and I'd hesitate to put such a change in without extensive
testing to make sure no unpleasant side effects on background tasks
gets in.  A means would also have to be developed to ignore control-C
typed by the user, but respond to the BREAK command (by shutting down)

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

 "The best way to do video effects on a Mac is to use an Amiga."

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (04/27/91)

Andy Finkel says

"A means would also have to be developed to ignore ^C typed by the
user, but respond to the BREAK command ( by shutting down )."

I didn't think about this until *after* I posted.  It would be a
problem and so would ^D, ^E, &^F.  But maybe it could be put on the list
of "Things To Look Into Maybe Adding To 2.x".  I mean, I have lived
without it for this long so I can continue.  But it would be nice
on occasion to have a script tell another cli to go away.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com