[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] What do you put in your Startup-Sequence?

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (04/25/91)

Hi there, You!

I know you know that I know you have a VERY SPECIAL costomized Startup-Sequence
that you modify daily (or weekly) whenever you come across a net utility or
patch (*sign*).  Some of them detach and remain as a task, and others just
change the OS codes to make it work better for you.

I have in my Startup-Sequence the following programs:  faccii, wtfpatch,
makeVportpatch, newpop, clockDJ, Xsize, NoCare, Gomf, speedup, noclick, forfacc,
mymenu, popupmenu, 3dlook, and I think that's all I can recall.  All those
utilities above in addition to some of the more relevant AmigaDos commands.

Among my favorites,

FaccII caches floppy reads into fast memory.  similar to addbuffer, it helps
	your floppy disk accessing when the same data is read more then once.
	(huh?)  ForFacc flushes this cache/buffer and give you back your
	memory when all floppy drives are empty.

WTFpatch patches the intuition bug that lock-up your system when you attempt
	a windowtofront() call when an icon is selected/active.

MakeVPortPatch patches the intution bug that sometimes locks up your system
	when you have a mixature of interlaced and non-interlaced screens.

NewPop does screen blanking (with a changing-color-Q*X pattern) and provide
	hot-keys for invoking a newCLI.  The screen blank can be switched on
	or prevented by placing your pointer in a designated corner of screen.

XSize let you size your window the XWINDOWs style.

NoCare speeds up your WorkBench window displays.

Gomf tries to fix a guru-meditation when it occurs.  Gomf is commercial.

Speedup changes the rate your floppydrive reads the floppy.  It can be used to
	speedup your floppy read/write by 2 times.

THERE!  I have revealed my centries collection of Amiga-inits.  YOUR TURN!!
:-)
--
                                                                    [unify]
   *     All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.   +

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.192849.12855@ucselx.sdsu.edu>, InnerTangent - human1 writes:

> Hi there, You!
>
> I know you know that I know you have a VERY SPECIAL costomized Startup-Sequence
> that you modify daily (or weekly) whenever you come across a net utility or
> patch (*sign*).  Some of them detach and remain as a task, and others just
> change the OS codes to make it work better for you.
>
> I have in my Startup-Sequence the following programs:  faccii, wtfpatch,
> makeVportpatch, newpop, clockDJ, Xsize, NoCare, Gomf, speedup, noclick, forfacc,
> mymenu, popupmenu, 3dlook, and I think that's all I can recall.  All those
> utilities above in addition to some of the more relevant AmigaDos commands.

Hmm, I've got:

Setcpu,  (68030 cache setup routine)
Rexxmast (Arexx master process)
uuxqt    \
rmail    -> Used by AmigaUUCP 1.06d
sendmail /
NULL:   | A null device
UUSER:  | A serial device driver
MyMenu    (A workbench menu manipulator)
popupmenu (gives you SUN style menus - they appear on your screen
           under the mouse, not on the drag-bar)
Popcli    (Screen blanking and Shell calling)
Snap      (extract text from screen to clipboard)

I have a whole heap of directory assigns and stuff, as well as 'commented out'
parts of my startup-sequence, that I modify as I need, such as starting up my
Modula 2 environment.

Dac
--

kevint@hpsad.HP.COM (Kevin Taddeucci) (05/01/91)

  Every time I ever make a change to a new startup-sequence, it refuses to
close the cli window upon booting unless I press RETURN. For instance, I just
installed a new hard drive today, and changed the 'addbuffers df0: 10' to
'addbuffers df1: 30'. Now, when it boots, I have to press return for the
cli window to disappear!

  How do I fix this for good?
--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.
----------

I to had this problem when I first started using the editor AZ.

After a little investigation I discovered that if I pressed return after the
last line of the startup-sequence I had the problem you described above.
Apparently the editor puts some sort of character on that line (LF, EOL ?)
and the amiga tries to execute it on startup, causing the CLI to hang open
return is pressed.

So, to anwser your question (assuming you have the same problem I did) don't
press return after the last line of your startup-sequence and make sure that
last line is really the last line. It works for me.

Disclaimer: I'm really not sure if my discription of what the amiga is doing
correct but it seems to make some sort of sense to me. If anyone knows better
please fill us in.

      | Kevin J. Taddeucci          | e-mail: kevint@hpsad.hp.com        |
      | Firmware QA Group           | HPDesk: Kevin TADDEUCCI /HP5300/A0 |
      | Telnet: 794-4192            | HP Mailstop: 2LR-N                 |