[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] How to use say synthetizer options?

Gelson Dias Santos <GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu> (04/24/91)

I just started to play with say synthetizer, but I'm a bit confusing about how
to use the available options. The Introduction to Amiga 500 manual say to type
the option in the phoneme window, but it do nothing. How have I to type it?
I tried -f, f, F, -F ( for a female voice) and nothing work. I know I have to
change the pitch after a voice change, but it didn't work either. Under Shell,
the only way it worked is in a line like >say -f text.txt. In this case, how
can I use two or more options at the same time?

* Gelson Dias Santos  *  Bitnet/Internet: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  *
*                     *  Sorry, english is not my native language!  *
*       BRAZIL        *           (Alguem fala portugues?)          *

In article <51751@nigel.ee.udel.edu> GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (Gelson Dias Santos) writes:
>I just started to play with say synthetizer, but I'm a bit confusing about how
>to use the available options. The Introduction to Amiga 500 manual say to type
>the option in the phoneme window, but it do nothing. How have I to type it?
>I tried -f, f, F, -F ( for a female voice) and nothing work.

You must type it into the text input window. Every line that starts with
a "-" is considered such a control input to make it different from normal
text input.

jlong@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (John Long) (05/09/91)

In article <1166@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <51751@nigel.ee.udel.edu> GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (Gelson Dias Santos) writes:
>>I just started to play with say synthetizer, but I'm a bit confusing about how
>>to use the available options. The Introduction to Amiga 500 manual say to type
>>the option in the phoneme window, but it do nothing. How have I to type it?
>>I tried -f, f, F, -F ( for a female voice) and nothing work.
>
>You must type it into the text input window. Every line that starts with
>a "-" is considered such a control input to make it different from normal
>text input.
>
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

There are two ways to use say from the cli that I know. One is to use command
line arguements like this:

cli>say foo

Amiga will say "foo". You can also supply the -p -s (etc.) options, as:

cli>say -p200 foo

Amiga will say "foo" with a pitch of 200. You can also put those options,
along with the words to be spoken, into a file, and use the -x option. Like:

cli>say -x speech.txt

Amiga will read the file 'speech.txt'.

The second way to use say is just to type 'say' at the cli prompt without
any options. There is also an icon for the say program. In this case, 2
windows will open, and you can just type text and optional settings into
one of the windows. The other window gives the translated phonetic code
which the speak: (talk: ? (narrator: ?)) device takes as input.

I think you can also do something like:

cli>copy speech.txt to narrator:

or,

cli>type speech.txt > narrator:

But I'm no authority. If I'm wrong, somebody write.

Aloha,
-LongJohn

amouse@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Rik Wheatley) (05/12/91)

ok dudes, so what r your fave settings for 'say'.... which sound best??

 \ Anony Mouse          | You can't have everything: where would you put it? /
 / amouse@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au  | one-line starfield: . .. .  . .. .   . ..  \