[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] What's wrong with ARP

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (05/10/91)

In article <3474@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.OZ.AU (Allan Duncan) writes:
   From article <21405@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie):
   > Maybe because * is already taken.  What does ARP do with:
   >
   > 	copy * quick_file
   >
   > If it doesn't let me type from the console into a file called "quick_file"

   No, Dave, the use of * to represent the console is the kludge.  There
   are many way this could have been done instead of using an already
   overloaded single character symbol.  ARP's solution to this particular
   usage is elegant although not obvious -
	   type >quickfile

This is one of the reasons that ARP gets bad press around here. They
claim "100% compatable with AmigaDOS", but when it comes to brass
tacks, it's "Well, we provide a better way, so we don't have to do it
the way AmigaDOS did."

I suspect that the ARP solution doesn't work in the general case,
where it's running from a script taking input from a file, but don't
have arp or 1.3 to test it on.

	<mike
--
So this is where the future lies			Mike Meyer
In a beer gut belly; In an open fly			mwm@pa.dec.com

peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (05/14/91)

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:

>In article <3474@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.OZ.AU (Allan Duncan) writes:
>   From article <21405@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie):
>   > Maybe because * is already taken.  What does ARP do with:
>   >
>   > 	copy * quick_file
>   >
>   > If it doesn't let me type from the console into a file called "quick_file"

>   No, Dave, the use of * to represent the console is the kludge.  There
>   are many way this could have been done instead of using an already
>   overloaded single character symbol.  ARP's solution to this particular
>   usage is elegant although not obvious -
>	   type >quickfile

>This is one of the reasons that ARP gets bad press around here. They
>claim "100% compatable with AmigaDOS", but when it comes to brass
>tacks, it's "Well, we provide a better way, so we don't have to do it
>the way AmigaDOS did."

>I suspect that the ARP solution doesn't work in the general case,
>where it's running from a script taking input from a file, but don't
>have arp or 1.3 to test it on.

>	<mike
>--
>So this is where the future lies			Mike Meyer
>In a beer gut belly; In an open fly			mwm@pa.dec.com
>Brilcreamed, acrylic, mindless boys			decwrl!mwm
>Punching, kicking, making noise

Actually, They have a "compatability mode" - one option makes the above case
work like the amigados "copy * some_file" and the other makes it work like
"copy #? some_file"!

The point is, they made the default behavior the same as amigados (admittedly
it's not perfect..), and allowed you to change into "improved mode" if you
knew what you were doing.. (eg set BCPL FALSE, set ESCAPE \ (or whatever - it
seems like forever since I used 1.3/ARP))

I never really use script files for much other than short startup's, and
generally never trust anybodies install scripts....

One thing that I know doesn't work the same was something like:

setenv >nil: DESTDIR ?

(or was that date?)

Sure the Execute command did some strange things occasionally, and typing
"alias cat type []" killed the device list on my particular setup (I just
changed it to "alias cat type" and it works fine!)

From my point of view, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by far!
--
Peter Wemm
peter@cs.curtin.edu.au  (Home) +61-9-450-5243